Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pound

• smiles

• other (post on thread)

• Total voters
3-5 months, depending on the water quality, feeding and so on... the better care given, the faster he'll grow...

lol thanks kim, i think in one of the videos you can see the wood you sent?
He still needs a name!

J4MES

You don't want to stunt the poor things.. believe me.. it's not cool.

If you don't have the proper tank size don't buy one.. lots of people say they will upgrade later on and it doesn't happen. That's what I did and tons of fish died because of it...

It's not worth it.

If you don't have a 55g tank don't buy a severum.

They grow very fast too if in the right conditions... and are easily stunted in small tanks very quickly..

I have a stunted one that hasn't grown in a year.. it's still about 3''... another I had that wasn't stunted grew about 6'' within a year.

Not sure if you realize this, but a fish doesn't stop growing as your stunting implies, they'll still reach the maximum size they are supposed to, it'll just take longer... Not to question your fish caring skills Vancouver, but if one of you servums went to 6" in a year and the other stayed at 3", you probably aren't diligent enough with water changes. Sorry if sounds harsh, but they'd get to the same size in a year unless you were keeping one in something like a 5gallon tank and barly did water changes...

lol thanks kim, i think in one of the videos you can see the wood you sent?
He still needs a name!

J4MES

lol - just watched the videos, he's so inquisitive isn't he, adorable - voted for Sunshine, seems appropriate.

They grow very fast too if in the right conditions... and are easily stunted in small tanks very quickly..

I have a stunted one that hasn't grown in a year.. it's still about 3''... another I had that wasn't stunted grew about 6'' within a year.

Not sure if you realize this, but a fish doesn't stop growing as your stunting implies, they'll still reach the maximum size they are supposed to, it'll just take longer... Not to question your fish caring skills Vancouver, but if one of you servums went to 6" in a year and the other stayed at 3", you probably aren't diligent enough with water changes. Sorry if sounds harsh, but they'd get to the same size in a year unless you were keeping one in something like a 5gallon tank and barly did water changes...

I gotta agree with that,you can't stunt a fish to that extent without doing something seriously rong..

Btw i have a pair in a 40 gal by themselves one 6 inch one 7 inch...they were never stunted.

I overstocked the tank, and the severum stopped growing. Hasn't grown since... it's been about 3'' for 2 years.

The other one is still growing.

Btw i have a pair in a 40 gal by themselves one 6 inch one 7 inch...they were never stunted.

Are you planning on a bigger tank for them? And if they're not stunted, are they only youngsters? Because they should be much bigger than that if not.

And I disagree with the other poster who commented that they would be ok in a 30g for 3-5 months. Mine went from 1" to 5"+ in a matter of a couple of months - because they were in a good sized tank. A 30g isn't big enough for more than a temporary or hospital tank for these giants.

I agree with Vancouver - if you dont have the space for them - dont buy them. You'll only kick yourself when a. they get too big for your tank and you cant get a new one or b. they die on you.

If you want something that badly that you have to have it - get the tank first. They will be happier, they will grow quicker, and you wont be wasting your money on fish that will end up poorly and possibly die.

Ever actually thought that there is different lines of breeding of severums ...some are large some are not as large,the biggest i have ever seen is about 10 and that was wild caught.Mine are about 3 years old,i've always done reg water changes and feed them similar diet to my discus.Anyway they will be moving to a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft + soon.Moan as much as you want :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back