New External Filter

osiris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just bought a Tetra tec EX1200 for my 55 gallon tank and was just wondering the best way to introduce it as i will need to cycle it at the same time as having my normal filter keeping the tank running and bacteria etc alive...

any ideas as the best way to do this...shall i just have two running at the same time (if theres enough space) or put existing filter media into the new one even though its not correctly shaped?

Thanks, Rob

You answered your own question with both ideas there. What media are we talking about. If its sponge thats a different shape you could squash it slightly, or cut down to a slightly more appropriate size. I have a Fluval 305 and i transfered filter wool from an old internal that i'd scrunched up into the old one and just scrunched it back into a spare compartment on my new filter.

If its too awkward to do, just run both filters, then after a fortnight or so take out the old one :) Both work just as well really.

ok cheers, il try running both first if theres room and if not then i'll have to cut the sponge as its rectangular at the moment and needs to be circular now. :)

As I said in your other post, I'd seed the new filter with the media from your old filter (cut to shape if needed, make sure it stays wet though). As your tank is overstocked, I'd run the old filter alongside it (with new media in it) as well. The more filtration you can get the better.

As the new filter will take over from your internal as the dominant filter, this is the filter you need to seed, or else it can cause a mini-cycle.

You should see an improvement with the new filter :good:

Most reactions

Back