New External Filter

charlton

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello all, looking to eventually build my own background using the polytyrene method but firstly i'm going to replace the jewel internal filter to an external filter, i'm thinking of getting a tetratec 700, would this be sufficient for a rekord 96 litre tank? Secondly i was going to run them both together for a while to get the new filter properly established, how long would you recommend me running them both together for ?

cheers in advance

charlton

ps whats your opinion on my choice of external filter ?

That filter would be great; I've had mine for around eighteen months now (on a well-planted 200ltr) and I wish I'd got it long before - they're fabulous. Which filter do you have at the moment?. I just put all the media from my Fluval 4 Plus internal into the Tetratec in place of one of the Tetratec's black filter pads and didn't have any problems. Just wait three or four weeks to replace the media from the old filter with the new one you may have to remove from the Tetratec. You could buy an extra bag of ceramic rings for the bottom basket, too - there's room for more.

That filter would be great; I've had mine for around eighteen months now (on a well-planted 200ltr) and I wish I'd got it long before - they're fabulous. Which filter do you have at the moment?. I just put all the media from my Fluval 4 Plus internal into the Tetratec in place of one of the Tetratec's black filter pads and didn't have any problems. Just wait three or four weeks to replace the media from the old filter with the new one you may have to remove from the Tetratec. You could buy an extra bag of ceramic rings for the bottom basket, too - there's room for more.

the filter i'm using at the moment is just the standard jewel internal filter, glad to here you speak highly of the my hopeful new purchase though, don't think i've heard anyone say a bad thing about them yet so think this is what i'll go with !! please excuse my ignorance but do the tetratec come with ceramic rings or are they all foam ?

cheers

charlton

The EX700 come with mechanical filter rings, coarse sponge, bioballs, carbon and floss as standord :good: I have been highly impressed with my EX1200's and most people have not had issues with them (other than a few whom appear not to have maintained them correctly {being rough and not lubing seals} or a few that were knocked about during delivery). In the rare event of an issue, customer service from Tetra is very good, though can be a little slow via e-mail... In the unlikely event you need their help, call them on the 'phone :good: The lack of spare parts out there ATM is a pain for the moment, though Tetra told me in a recent e-mail that parts will be made more readily available by the end of the year :nod:

HTH
Rabbut

The EX700 come with mechanical filter rings, coarse sponge, bioballs, carbon and floss as standord :good: I have been highly impressed with my EX1200's and most people have not had issues with them (other than a few whom appear not to have maintained them correctly {being rough and not lubing seals} or a few that were knocked about during delivery). In the rare event of an issue, customer service from Tetra is very good, though can be a little slow via e-mail... In the unlikely event you need their help, call them on the 'phone :good: The lack of spare parts out there ATM is a pain for the moment, though Tetra told me in a recent e-mail that parts will be made more readily available by the end of the year :nod:

HTH
Rabbut

cheers rabbut, looking forward to ordering it now and getting it all up and running !!!

cheers rabbut, looking forward to ordering it now and getting it all up and running !!!

It'll take you about ten minutes from opening the box to having it working; believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Just a tip; the tubing was coiled fairly tightly when I got mine, so just pop it in a bucket of warm water until you need to fit it while you get everything else ready, makes it much easier to work with.

It'll take you about ten minutes from opening the box to having it working; believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Just a tip; the tubing was coiled fairly tightly when I got mine, so just pop it in a bucket of warm water until you need to fit it while you get everything else ready, makes it much easier to work with.

cheers vinylman, this sounds like a very helpful tip !!!

Most reactions

Back