New Cockatoos

Since I intend on getting a trio (M/F/F) of cockatoos in the near future it is discouraging to hear such things. Yet I'm glad I have. I know the Rams are delicate and now it sounds like the cockatoos are similarly delicate. I'll be sure to do an extremely thorough cycle before adding such fish. I'll probably use a couple medium sized Oscars to do the cycle with since I have several and will have quite a few more when I fill the pond.

I've read many sites which describe proper water conditions and found that the ranges for PH vary slightly but most-all include 6.5-7.0 for both Cockatoos and Rams. My tap waters PH comes out around 6.2 and I plan to add drift/bog wood to the decor which somewhat lowers the PH. I hate to rely on chemicals to adjust parameters yet at the same time I'm willing to do what it takes to keep proper conditions for them. Would you suggest using chemicals to sustain such dwarfs? or let them get used to the lower PH I have naturally.

I have a pretty regulated maintenance schedule which includes weekly water changes (15%-30%). I am also planning on experimenting with coral as a substrate to try to adjust my PH. I will do all my experiments with more hardy fish (Oscars) and only add the more delicate dwarfs after things are stable.

Just looking for input to see if I'm on the right track or if they would be better of just getting used to the natural PH of my tap water (6.2).

PS - sorry to hear about your male Cockatoo... I'll have my betta pray for him (God likes my betta ;) )

Unfortunately, the male has now passed on. :rip:

On my lunch break I took the fish and some tank water to the lfs. I spoke to one of the owners and explained my situation. He told me that for some reason it seems like the males have a tougher time. He checked my water parameters and said everything was fine. This was just a double check since I tested the water myself. He told me he will get more cockatoos in on Thursday and suggested I come in when they arrive that afternoon. He will just leave the fish in the bag they come in and give it to me, just in case there is some kind of bacteria in their water that is giving these fish a problem.

Although it may not seem like it, this is the best lfs in the area. They are not a huge store but maintain many hard to keep fish, some of which are very expensive so stay in their systems for a while with no ill effects. I truly believe this is a really great store with quite a few knowledgeable employees.

As far as pH goes, from the research I've done the cockatoos are a bit more tolerant of higher pH than other dwarf cichlids. This is one reason why I chose this fish. I thought it would be easier to keep than rams or other apistogramma. I also think that if a fish is acclimated to the water it is much more important to maintain constant pH levels than to aim for a certain pH. While it is a bit discouraging to have fish die on you, I would not be dissuaded from getting the cockatoos. Perhaps, you'll have better luck than I and I have to believe that as long as the tank is properly maintained that eventually I will get some healthy fish. That being said, if the next male dies I may have to rethink my tank.

or rethink your source...

It is very possible that you have found a wonderful LFS who has a wonderful supplier... but that supplier may have a weak strain of Cockatoos...

I would consider asking them to special order it from a different supplier or seeking out a different store who uses a different supplier. If you chose to shop elsewhere I would find out the name of the supplier who supplied your fish to double check the store on the other side of town doesn't use the same one.

Perhaps you're right. I'm going to try one more time with this lfs, since he's special ordering the next fish for me free of charge, but if these fish die, then I guess I'll try a different source. All of my other fish from this store are doing fine though, even my otos, which everyone seems to have trouble with.

PS - The new female has passed away now, too. :(

Sorry about you loss!

I have never kept rams, but I haven't found cockatoos to be very sensitive. I have had a problem with high nitrates in the past, and the only thing that I noticed was "wrong" was that the male didn't open his "comb" as often and the females didn't spawn much. I can't keep a molly alive to save my own life, but I have had no problems with these apistos.

I agree that pH shouldn't be a problem....my breeder had them in our local tap water (which has a pH of close to 8.9; hence her problem with sex ratios). Our water is extremely hard as well. Maybe it is the "Stock" that's a little weak, and not your water. I don't remember if you mentioned it, but I assume your tank is completely cycled. What were your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Yes, my tank is fully cycled. As a matter of fact, the cockatoos are just about my last addition to the tank. I added fish in the order of my perceived sensitivities thinking that the longer I waited the more stable the tank should be. I first added tetras, then bristlenose, then otos. The tank cycled sometime in January. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0; nitrates fluctuate between 0-5 ppm, pH is around 7.0.

FoundMoney said:
Yes, my tank is fully cycled. As a matter of fact, the cockatoos are just about my last addition to the tank. I added fish in the order of my perceived sensitivities thinking that the longer I waited the more stable the tank should be. I first added tetras, then bristlenose, then otos. The tank cycled sometime in January. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0; nitrates fluctuate between 0-5 ppm, pH is around 7.0.
If your ottos are doing okay then IMO it's very doubtlful that it is a water quality issue on your end FoundMoney.

gwlee7 said:
FoundMoney said:
If your ottos are doing okay then IMO it's very doubtlful that it is a water quality issue on your end FoundMoney.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm pretty sure water quality is OK. At least it's good enough for my other female cockatoo, although she suffered at first, also.

pnyklr3 said:
Any other place that you could buy them? Perhaps a change in genes would help.
There is another store that I don't go to very often. They tell me they can get cockatoos if they special order them. I'm giving the other store one my try because they have offered to replace my fish for free. If these die then I'll try somewhere else.

Might want to take the credit in frozen food instead. I'm sure if you explain that you are a happy customer regarding everything except that strain of cockatoos... I'm sure they will understand. I just know how I feel when I lose a fish... I’m not jumpin off bridges... but I don't like it.

That's a good idea but it's too late. I ended up getting replacement fish today. However, instead of cockatoos I got agassizis. I was reluctant but the owner seemed more confident that these fish were of better stock. He did not get any cockatoos in. I started another thread about them.

Incidentally, it's funny that I didn't get an email regarding your post. hmmm...

That was a good suggestion, but I didn't read this post until today. (I wonder why I didn't get email notification?)

I may have made a bit of a mistake. When I went to the store today, they did not get any cacatouides in. Instead, the store owner put aside a pair of agassizi. I started to protest a bit saying I thought these fish were more sensitive and preferred softer water, but he told me he thought these fish were better. He's had better luck with them. I considered saying no, but decided not to since these fish are generally more expensive and are quite striking. If course, I'll be regretting it if these fish don't make it either.

I'm also concerned that my female cockatoo is going to harass the male agassizi. She's already giving him a hard time.

If you are planning on raising any fry, do not sell them. The agassizi and the cacatuoides may (read more than likely) breed and produce a "half breed." Because of this, you won't/shouldn't be able to sell them as either agassizi or cacatuoides.

I wasn't planning on breeding the fish, although I certainly won't stop them and would like to observe spawning behavior. I didn't think it was possible for these species to crossbreed. I should be able to tell which are the breeding pair though, right? So I'll know if the fry are full or halfbreed species.

Most reactions

Back