New Bichir Id Please!

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Amazingly enough, found two of these beasts in a fish shop not too far from me :) Not sure what they are, they were just labelled poteryplus or something stupid. They had baby Senegalus in another tank and they just presumed that this one was a bigger version. The bloke who ordered them in wasn't working today, and the others were clueless. Anyway, I know he's not a Senegalus, must be a lower jaw species as he looks like my Endli in face shape.

Any ideas what he is? Colours blanched out as these photos were taken in the bag. I'll post some more up as he colours up.

Hoping gasmask sees this and can ID :)

5918719003_23d45dfbb9_z.jpg

5918721609_100a4523e7_z.jpg

5919284410_8e10507a21_z.jpg

5918727043_73131a9c6b_z.jpg

Yes, it's a captive bred Nigerian Lapradei.

just be aware of the sheer growth rate and size these get to, they will shoot up in size and get really chunky .

Thanks. Yes he's already a bit of a bruiser, but has been inspected and seemingly accepted by all the other polys. My oscar came up to him, eyeballed him, then did a u-turn :lol:

I am so pleased with my bargain :)

Just a little update.

Initially he would stay under the wood most of the time, and didn't eat for the first day. Then some pellets were swept under the wood by the filter output, so he munched them up. He was a bit jumpy at first, but not surprising as his arrival was traumatic. When the idiot caught him from the tank, he was unprepared for the stength of a big fish, and somehow this chap ended up on the cover glass :rolleyes: At first they didn't put him in a big enough bag, so he was then swapped into a larger bag :rolleyes: Then they struggled getting enough air in and double bagging him :rolleyes: then they didn't have a carrier bag big enough to cover him, so he was taken out of the shop with no cover :rolleyes: luckily though, we had a darkish blanket in the car of my boy's, so I had him on my lap with the blanket over him for the journey home.

Anyway, he has settled right in now and has been sitting out in full view under the lights, totally happy. He eats well. And is best friends with my Endli, ironically the smallest poly in there (he's the biggest) and the one that I was slightly worried about him being OK with. They love each other though. And the other two get on with him brilliantly too.

I should imagine if he could, he'd thank me for taking him away from that horrible place, and into a lovely big tank with lots of yummy food and a cute little Endli as a best buddy :lol:

I'll get some pics soon, but he keeps resting in areas which aren't clean, and I aint taking photos when the tank is slightly dirty :lol:

Good job mate!
Laps are great when they get bigger and color up!

He is a real beauty! What a good find!! How much did heset ya back?

Thanks :) He's got massive now, and looking very mean and green in my 120g with black gravel.

I'll post some pics later.

He set me back a mere £20 :hyper:

My endli is bloody huge too.

Most reactions

Back