New betta keeper

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You’re very welcome,

i don’t know how to link stuff in threads, I’m sure there are other members here who are more adept at that than I am.

but some of our members have written terrific article on cycling tanks, it’s worth your time to find them and read up on it.

good luck with everything, do a water change and get yourself a test kit!
I most definitely will read them. Water change & test kit. I got yah ...

So the best way on knowing & controlling the water is by buying the test kits, correct?

Yes, even with a cycled tank, sometimes these compounds can spike and cause irregularities in water parameters, and you need to determine what changes are happening in your water in order relay that information and have others help you with potential problems.

there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here, but often they will need the information you can get from test kits in order to help.

the test kits are also a great way to check on the general well being or status off our water.

Is prime & conditioner two different liquids?

No.

Prime is a water conditioner or de-chlorinator made by a company called Seachem.
There are many brands of water conditioners and their main purpose is to neutralize chlorine and chloramines found in tap water.

Chlorine and Chloramines are added to tap water to kill bacteria in order to make it safe for human consumption. Unfortunately it is also poisonous to fish, and kills our beneficial bacteria in our aquariums which consume ammonia and nitrite.

If you are not using a water conditioner, I suggest you get some quickly if you’re using tap water that is chlorinated.

Yes, even with a cycled tank, sometimes these compounds can spike and cause irregularities in water parameters, and you need to determine what changes are happening in your water in order relay that information and have others help you with potential problems.

there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here, but often they will need the information you can get from test kits in order to help.

the test kits are also a great way to check on the general well being or status off our water.
I 100% am ganna get one today. Would i need prime also?

Seachem prime may not be immediately available, but you will need a water conditioner of some kind to get rid of chlorine and/or chloramines if they are present in your water.

if you’re unsure, you can contact the city, or some pet stores can test your water for you if you bring them a sample

Seachem prime may not be immediately available, but you will need a water conditioner of some kind to get rid of chlorine and/or chloramines if they are present in your water.

if you’re unsure, you can contact the city, or some pet stores can test your water for you if you bring them a sample
So i need both prime & conditioner or just one of them? I have conditioner but not prime

So i need both prime & conditioner or just one of them? I have conditioner but not prime
My apologies if I wasn’t clear. Prime is a conditioner, it’s just the brand name made by Seachem.

if you want to and can afford it, the other thing you can try is a bacteria starter. Often referred to as bacteria in a bottle, or cycle starter.

as I mentioned before, it’s not an instant cycle, or a quick fix. But it can help speed up your cycle In establishing those bacteria colonies. Though I tend to use them more as a supplement rather than rely on it.

Can i add bacteria in Niks tank with him in there or is that harmful for him?

As long as the bottle says it safe for fish, plants, invertebrates etc, it’s okay.

It’s generally believed that when it comes to bottle bacteria, there is now way to over dose the tank.

full disclaimer, I’m not a chemist or biologist so I can’t back up that claim.

one thing I will point out is that as your bacteria develop, it’s develops on surfaces in your aquarium. On plants, in gravel, on rocks, in your filter media and so on. So if you do add the bottled bacteria, add it AFTER a water change, because you’re adding it in a liquid form.

if you add it before, you ending up water changing the bacteria down the drain before it establishes on the surfaces of your tank.

As long as the bottle says it safe for fish, plants, invertebrates etc, it’s okay.

It’s generally believed that when it comes to bottle bacteria, there is now way to over dose the tank.

full disclaimer, I’m not a chemist or biologist so I can’t back up that claim.

one thing I will point out is that as your bacteria develop, it’s develops on surfaces in your aquarium. On plants, in gravel, on rocks, in your filter media and so on. So if you do add the bottled bacteria, add it AFTER a water change, because you’re adding it in a liquid form.

if you add it before, you ending up water changing the bacteria down the drain before it establishes on the surfaces of your tank.
Well noted, lucky you told me before hand

Well then, welcome I hope you can learn more and I’m new here as well, so let’s keep up the sharing and improve everyone’s hobby experience

Most reactions

Back