New betta at top of tank?

Whew! Lots of advice here. Naughts is correct. You won’t be able to maintain a cycle in a bowl that small. You’ll have to just do water changes every 2 days. I suggest buying Seachem Prime to dechlorinate your water with. It will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours making the water non-toxic to your fish.
For the future when you have the money get these things:
- 5 gallon tank (Walmart has one with filter, light, and hood for $29.
- Tetra Safe Start
- API freshwater Test Kit

Here is information on Fish In Cycling: http://petfishclub.com/cycle-with-fish-in-cycle/

Note: When using Safe Start you need to use another dechlorinator for first 24 hours after adding the Safe Start as the Seachem Prime will eat the bacteria in the Safe Start. After that, begin using the Seachem Prime to keep toxicity down. We’re here to help. Don’t feel overwhelmed, most of us made the same mistake in the beginning. Fish stores fail to tell you that you need to cycle your tank. :)

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your help! Unfortunately the tank was an old one from our shelf, but either way the store does not take returns right now due to current events. However, I definitely will not be keeping my fish in a small tank and I have numerous friends who have kept fish, so I will be asking around for more suitable size with an emphasis for flat sides. His water will be changed daily until I can get him set up in a new tank.

I deeply appreciate the help and education over cycling, and I will look into the treatment for the water as well as do some thorough research on the topic. I feel much more confident that I can provide the best care for my little guy, and I definitely know where to ask if he starts looking ill.

As an update to his health: this morning when my parents got up for work I shined my flashlight on him the way he seemed to like yesterday, but he did not respond much and his swimming fins weren't moving like they were yesterday. I checked him again a bit before my class started with the light on and the shades open and he was much more lively, swimming a little and exploring further down (not to the bottom yet but I am beginning to wonder if I just don't see him doing it.) He seems just as curious as he was yesterday, with a little more bravado towards exploring and investigating me as I checked on him. He looks healthy, but I will continue to monitor him closely due to the numerous other concerns.

As a side note, this morning while checking on him he was tilted slightly towards his right. He has not done so for any other check, but if he does it again should I assume it's a swim bladder problem and limit his food until he passes waste? Thank you so much for all of your help!

Fish sleep so he may have been asleep when you shined the light. Betta’s sometimes lay on their sides a little so no concern right now. Enjoy your fish and quit looking for things to worry about. :)

Hank S. Sushi is looking like he's going to be my real first fish! I think that since I'm getting a new tank anyways I may do a fish out cycle in that one and just keep a really close eye on him with frequent water changes until his new home is ready! Thank you thank you thank you to all of you who taught me how to be a better fish caretaker, and once I can get some better pictures I will DEFINITELY be posting them. He really does look like an orchid!

Most reactions

Back