New Baby Biorb

bachina

Reaction score
After a few mistakes and starting over, here's our set up! In the back, we have some spirilius, and tied to the bogwood on the right is java moss. On the left is a plant that's fairly common, but I cant seem to remember the name right now...and 2 bunches of java fern growing in the front. Inside are two whitecloud mountain minnows.

_MG_3430.jpg

_MG_3432.jpg

_MG_3438.jpg

_MG_3440.jpg

_MG_3442.jpg

For a bit of sad history on this tank, and to solve a mystery, check this thread

That very leafy plant isn't hedge is it? If so, it's not an aquatic plant and will eventually rot.
The tank looks great though. Those bioorbs do look pretty neat but heard they're really not that great for fish or something?

That very leafy plant isn't hedge is it? If so, it's not an aquatic plant and will eventually rot.
The tank looks great though. Those bioorbs do look pretty neat but heard they're really not that great for fish or something?

I have had a 30l biorb for 2.5years now, it was my introduction to fish-keeping and have never had a problem with it, running it is as easy as any other tank I have had.

Im also a member of the largest Bi-orb forum on the net (there are another few names in here I recognise from their also) and we have the exact same problems as people do in here, so I would never say they are not great for fish as you put it. Dont get me wrong, over the time I have fiddled with the parts of the tank to make it slightly better, but we all do that with every tank we buy (better lighting, aeration etc)

I love both my tank types and would never do without them, like everyone else, MTS will kick in again and I will probably add to the collection :blush: :good:

Your tank looks good, like the gravel in there. Have you placed it over the media or replaced ?

I have had a 30l biorb for 2.5years now, it was my introduction to fish-keeping and have never had a problem with it, running it is as easy as any other tank I have had.

Im also a member of the largest Bi-orb forum on the net (there are another few names in here I recognise from their also) and we have the exact same problems as people do in here, so I would never say they are not great for fish as you put it. Dont get me wrong, over the time I have fiddled with the parts of the tank to make it slightly better, but we all do that with every tank we buy (better lighting, aeration etc)

I love both my tank types and would never do without them, like everyone else, MTS will kick in again and I will probably add to the collection :blush: :good:

Your tank looks good, like the gravel in there. Have you placed it over the media or replaced ?

The leafy plant is ludwigia, which is definitely an aquatic plant. It was suggested in the algae control thread, so I think its ok. If anything, a tad overgrown for the small tank haha

Are you referring to http://www.biorbforum.co.uk/ GeeMacD?

Yeah, the biOrb definately has its downfalls. After seeing what people have done with "standard" shaped tanks, I almost regret getting a biOrb, but then I remind myself: I have almost no desk space for a 5 or 10 gallon rectangular tank.

We added some earthy colored gravel to fill in the substrate that came with the tank. Honestly though, I think that nasty, rough ceramic substrate has been responsible for the fungus infection and subsequent death of two bettas in a row. I think I'm going to take it out and just fill in the rest of the space with the gravel, even though the biOrb manual specifically says not to. I'm going to check that biOrb forum for other's experiences.

Thanks for the comments!

--Hans

Hopefully AJ on the other forum managed to help you with your problem or at least point you in the right direct. Reading your posts I think no matter what kind of tank you had, you will potentially still have the same issue.

With the speed that your fish has gotten sick, then I dont think its anything in your tanks thats affecting them, but rather they have came in with the disease already. If your minnows are okay, then hopefully this will point out that the tanks and its contents are ok.

I have had a couple of betta's in mine (at different times) since I bought it and mine love to skulked along the bottom and in amongst the media and I have never had this problem. its funny to watch them stalking the other fish, then realising they aint a problem, they start playing with them... mollies & platy's its so weird & great to watch at the same time.

Hopefully AJ on the other forum managed to help you with your problem or at least point you in the right direct. Reading your posts I think no matter what kind of tank you had, you will potentially still have the same issue.

With the speed that your fish has gotten sick, then I dont think its anything in your tanks thats affecting them, but rather they have came in with the disease already. If your minnows are okay, then hopefully this will point out that the tanks and its contents are ok.

I have had a couple of betta's in mine (at different times) since I bought it and mine love to skulked along the bottom and in amongst the media and I have never had this problem. its funny to watch them stalking the other fish, then realising they aint a problem, they start playing with them... mollies & platy's its so weird & great to watch at the same time.

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. The first one was definitely my fault for not being patient and cycling the tank properly with other fish. I am just weirded out that the second one got the same or very similar disease in the matter of 24 hours and died a day later.

Which leads me to the question of picking a betta: I picked this betta out of the end barrack in the tank, and that was the one where there was water trickling down into it for the rest of the tank. I figured that it had the best water flow, but did I make a mistake because possibly that fish was more stressed out than the rest because it was sitting with bubbles and water coming down on it? I did remember that bubbles were stuck to its body and fin--does that stress out a fish?

thanks for the continued input!

--Hans

nice tank but may i ask, why only 2 white clouds? how big is the tank? why not a betta or something? or atleast more than 2 wcs?

Just because it's a relatively new setup, so we're going slow. Had bad luck with bettas in this tank so we'll probably try something else. See this thread...stocking quickly is bad for everybody, right? heh

We just added 3 amano shrimp to control the thread algae problem that's starting to take hold only in the java moss. All the other plants seem fine, and no algae growth elsewhere...its fun watching them run around, and they never quit working!

_MG_3478.jpg

--hans

Most reactions

Back