New Baby Biorb Tank Help!

if the fish is small then a pet shop will probably take it.

The tray of carbon should be sitting underneath the sponge ring that fits tightly in the filter box, so it shouldnt be able to leave the box or even move once the air pump is turned on. You can remove the carbon tray and put in another piece of sponge if you want. I have two pieces of sponges cut into a ring shape in my biorb filter.

Did you buy the tank new or was it used?

ETA: if you have an old air tube or one of the gravel vac syphons you can syphon the carbon off the top of the gravel. A goldfish might try and eat it, but i don't know if its harmful to them or not

The tank was new! The ring cut in the sponge isn't a tight fit in the middle.

ah. i was wondering, if it was a second hand tank that maybe you were missing something in the filter that was making the carbon able to escape. hmm. i dont know of any cold water fish that would fit in a 15L (3g) tank :/ you definately get more choice in tropical fish

ah. i was wondering, if it was a second hand tank that maybe you were missing something in the filter that was making the carbon able to escape. hmm. i dont know of any cold water fish that would fit in a 15L (3g) tank :/ you definately get more choice in tropical fish

Shrimp or summit?

would a 30l biorb tank be big enough for the gold fish?

would a 30l biorb tank be big enough for the gold fish?

Not for long as it grows. Goldfish have a reputation as the ultimate short lived disposable pet, but they're actually pretty long lived (longer than a dog - 20-30 years isn't unusual of and 40+ has happened) and get big. Common breeds from good breeding can get well over a foot long, fancy goldfish (fat bodied ones) can get the size of a grapefruit, plus the fins. They're not difficult fish to care for, the only major concern is housing. 20 gallons (~75l) for a fancy goldfish is pretty minimal, and a non-fancy breed won't even be able to turn around in that full grown.

Just to add to the problem, biorbs (at least all the models I've seen) have that central pillar from the filter, which means the effective maximum fish size is smaller than it would be in a rectangular tank with the same volume.

Edit: Somebody else mentioned stunting: The limiting factor isn't tank size, but water quality. Big fish in small tanks overwhelm their filtration and water quality is poor, which causes stunting. By analogy, think if you lived locked in your bathroom with the toilet broken. Things would go south fast.

Using automated systems to rapidly replace water, people have done some pretty impressive things (academically anyway, as a pet keeper they're terrible things). TFH magazine had a writeup last year of 20 oscars being farm grown to almost full size in only 100 gallons - an automated system did the equivalent of a full water change every couple hours to maintain water quality.

Like I said, though, that sort of accomplishment is purely academic. Fish don't need space just for water quality - no amount of water changes or filtration makes a tank big enough for a fish that will ultimately get too big to move around in it.

30ltr, you could fit a couple of tropical fish in there, smaller ones though x

Most reactions

Back