New Baby Biorb Tank Help!

manutd4life

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i bought a tank tonight and turned it on and from the filter all these black stones(i have recently found out there carbon stones or summit) came shooting out. are they supposed to stay in the filter or is this normal? my goldfish wont try and eat them will it?

cheers

woah woah
a baby biorb is way too tiny for a goldfish! You would be better off buying a heater and getting something like a Siamese Fighter.
you dont need the carbon in the biorb filter, just the sponges. You need to read up in the Beginners Section about cycling a tank (whether its fishless or fish-in)

return the goldfish NOW!!!!

the fish looks tiny - - that is because it is a baby - - what species is it - - depending on the species, goldfish grow between 8" and 2-3 FEET in length! a big koi fish that you see in ponds....yea, thats a gold fish!

and the myth about "a fish will grow to its sized tank" - - that is called stunting - - meaning the spine becomes deformed, the internal organs become squished and the fish dies a slow, horrible death years premature to what it should have

do research before you bring home a pet - - and yes, you need to consider your fish pets!!

woah woah
a baby biorb is way too tiny for a goldfish! You would be better off buying a heater and getting something like a Siamese Fighter.
you dont need the carbon in the biorb filter, just the sponges. You need to read up in the Beginners Section about cycling a tank (whether its fishless or fish-in)

so the carbon coming out of the filter and lying in the bottom of the tank is ok a wont harm the fish?

return the goldfish NOW!!!!

the fish looks tiny - - that is because it is a baby - - what species is it - - depending on the species, goldfish grow between 8" and 2-3 FEET in length! a big koi fish that you see in ponds....yea, thats a gold fish!

and the myth about "a fish will grow to its sized tank" - - that is called stunting - - meaning the spine becomes deformed, the internal organs become squished and the fish dies a slow, horrible death years premature to what it should have

do research before you bring home a pet - - and yes, you need to consider your fish pets!!

the goldfish was being given away from the misses friend as it was bullying the other goldfish.

what other goldfish?

how many and what kind of fish are in the baby orb?

what other goldfish?

how many and what kind of fish are in the baby orb?

the other goldfish that the friend owns. can you tell me if the carbon stuff is supposed to lie around the tank or supposed to stay in the filter?

its supposed to stay in the filter, you can put it back in. Take the filter out and remove the sponges and it'll fit in there Has it all fallen out?

its supposed to stay in the filter, you can put it back in. Take the filter out and remove the sponges and it'll fit in there Has it all fallen out?

i tried putting it back but asoon as i turn the filter back on, it spurts back out again. theres a little more than half left in the filter!

so, its bypassing the sponge?, it shouldn't be doing that. You don't really need the carbon, as long as the spong is mature. It might be worth, having a look at re homing the goldfish.

so, its bypassing the sponge?, it shouldn't be doing that. You don't really need the carbon, as long as the spong is mature. It might be worth, having a look at re homing the goldfish.

so if i take the carbon out, it wont do anything wrong?

re home the goldfish where?

"re home the goldfish where?"

you need to get the fish either a 20-30 GALLON tank on its own, or take it back to where ever you got it from.

if the fish is small then a pet shop will probably take it.

The tray of carbon should be sitting underneath the sponge ring that fits tightly in the filter box, so it shouldnt be able to leave the box or even move once the air pump is turned on. You can remove the carbon tray and put in another piece of sponge if you want. I have two pieces of sponges cut into a ring shape in my biorb filter.

Did you buy the tank new or was it used?

ETA: if you have an old air tube or one of the gravel vac syphons you can syphon the carbon off the top of the gravel. A goldfish might try and eat it, but i don't know if its harmful to them or not

"re home the goldfish where?"

you need to get the fish either a 20-30 GALLON tank on its own, or take it back to where ever you got it from.

Will they take the old tank back?

How much for a bigger tank?

i don't know if they will take the old tank back, but you need to get the goldfish out of there!

we have all made similar mistakes....now you know to do the research before you buy!

but please, get the goldfish out of that tank

Most reactions

Back