New And Wanting Info

H-Fish

Reaction score
Hey Ppl,

I have a 17 gallon tank and have a few fish in there nothin major just a few community fish, guppies and neons.
But yesterday i went to the LFS and got a male and 2 female betta's... There STUNNING!!!

He is showing off but there not interested, i dont want to breed but want some info on them,

like when will he make nests?
will they be ok in a community tank?
what are the signs for a male and female matching up?
What are bad signs?
where will he build the nests? and so on... i cud reed up on the net but its all different so i thought i wud ask u guys to help so if u have any info on what i can do or the Q;s i just asked plz get bk to me cheers :):):)

Have u any other more info which im looking for?

They seem fine together, but only time will tell lol

They can seem fine at first, but it only takes one moment to snap. I would take the male out and put him in his own tank.

As with some of the other information- They'll build nests when there is no water current, or very little at all, and are happy/comfortable enough to do so.
As with "where" they would build it, it varies on sides/corners.

But: most importantly- I would take the male out of the community if you plan to keep the females in, as I said before. And with the females, since there is only two, they will most likely fight with each other or attack your various other little community fish. Females can be just as aggressive as males.

I don't know much about breeding, and these "signs" you're looking for. So someone else would have to explain that further to you.

Good luck.

Hey Ppl,

I have a 17 gallon tank and have a few fish in there nothin major just a few community fish, guppies and neons.
But yesterday i went to the LFS and got a male and 2 female betta's... There STUNNING!!!

He is showing off but there not interested, i dont want to breed but want some info on them,

like when will he make nests?
will they be ok in a community tank?
what are the signs for a male and female matching up?
What are bad signs?
where will he build the nests? and so on... i cud reed up on the net but its all different so i thought i wud ask u guys to help so if u have any info on what i can do or the Q;s i just asked plz get bk to me cheers :):):)

Males and females can live togetehr, but one day one can just turn round and rip the other to shreads! no more stunning betta =[ he will flare at them, chase and nip them, this will stress the girls out, so its probably best to keep him in a 2/3/4/5 gallon tank of his own, he will be much happier =]

not all male bettas make nests often, some make them everyday, I dont know if it is true or not to whether only a happy betta will make nests, because not all mine make nests and tehy are happy and healthy!

female bettas ae fine in most communities, I would watch your guppies tails though they can be a little nippy, I would also be careful of just having 2 females, it can be done but they like to establish a pecking order which could lead to one female getting bullied so if you take teh male out you could add anotehr female, males in a community are hit and miss they can easliy be picked on, so thus a separate tank is best

breeding bettas is very time consuming, and they can have huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuges broods which you need to find homes for, they will also need separating because males cant be kept together, there are some good stuff on teh internet about breeding, altough i would wait until you are more experienced

nests can be anywhere! anywhere they see fit, it will usually be along the side of the tank though!

all in all I would suggest that you get a little tank, heat it and filter it and put the male in tehre, then add another female to your current tank =]

=]

if you're serious about wanting to keep the betta's i'd suggest getting a bigger tank, and lots and lots of plants. as its been said above, it is possible to keep males and females, but you NEED a large group of females so all the attention isn't directed at just the 2, there's a huge possibility the male will chase the females until they die of exhaustion, as well as the risk of him attacking them.
you could look into wild type betta's (ie. not b. splendens) which are IMO nicer looking and much more tolerant of each other, it would be possible to keep more than one male, as long as there is always more females than males (ideally 2 females per male). i'd also re-home your other fish and use your tank as a species tank.

please understand there is a massive chance you will lose your females, and either the guppies or the male betta will be constantly stressed. there is a very little chance you're going to have a happy tank if you leave it as it is.

Hi,
First, if you do not want the bettas to breed, you should not put a male with two females. Also, as others stated, the male may attack/kill one or both of the girls and if they don't and instead spawn, what would you do then with all the little ones?

How do the bettas look now? Are they pale or full, rich, colors? If they're pale with horizontal lines, that means the fish are stressed out. Bad sign to start out with. If the fish are in a happy environment those WILL go away.

I read the bubble nests can actually be a sign of the fish being in a BAD environment where the fish feels the instinct to build a nest to be sure there is survival of a species. Not sure if that is true. All of my bettas built bubble nests in the past, but now that they're each in better quality water, none of them do so.

None of my bettas are in community tanks. Bettas love to be alone and it's best to create an environment best suited to their personalities, not just what you want.

If you love the bettas and do not want to part with them, maybe get each his/her own tank. If funds prevent another larger tank, you can get a 2-gallon bowl with a small hydor 7.5 watt heater. Even though many say that a small bowl like that isn't acceptable, keep in mind most bettas are treated terribly by their owners (no heater or water changes) and as long as you can do those two things, you're doing more for your fish than probably 90% of those who purchase bettas. One person here said that he/she didn't do a water change for *8* months.

Most reactions

Back