New Additions To My Malawi Tank

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
I took some juvi malawi and mbunas over to my local MA last week and with some of the credit I got these for my Malawi tank as well as another couple of yellow labs:

Nimbochromis venustus:
IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

I like those guys, very mean looking, love Yellow labs, I can see me turning a tank to Malawi at some point if you keep posting pics. like that :good: :lol:

How big do these ones grow to ?

I like those guys, very mean looking, love Yellow labs, I can see me turning a tank to Malawi at some point if you keep posting pics. like that :good: :lol:

How big do these ones grow to ?

I reckon you`d love having a tank with the colour that the malawi or mbuna give :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :lol: :lol:

The venustus will grow to an adult size of 10".....just as well I have a big enough tank for them! :lol: They`re completely different to the other fish in the tank, they swim differently, mill around the whole tank differently and it goes without saying they look completely different. Hubby says I`ve got my leopard print fish as well as the shoes and handbags now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The labs looked pretty skinny when I saw them at MA so I picked 2 that looked a bit healthier than the majority but they`ve filled out a bit already....mind you between them the labs and venustus eat as much as all the other fish put together :X

I`m looking forward to seeing these guys grow :good:

de ja vu strikes :lol: cracking fish , gonna grow into handsome beasts

Great looking fish, remind me of the Livingstone cichlid from the rift lakes. How do you identify males and females in the group, Lisa?

BTW, loved your video clip from the other day of another new fish in your tanks,Ophthalmotilapia ventralis. Any idea which variant you have? Putting their name in google came up with a load of different types

de ja vu strikes :lol: cracking fish , gonna grow into handsome beasts

That`s the plan :lol: :lol:

nice giraffe fish
:good:

Great looking fish, remind me of the Livingstone cichlid from the rift lakes. How do you identify males and females in the group, Lisa?

BTW, loved your video clip from the other day of another new fish in your tanks,Ophthalmotilapia ventralis. Any idea which variant you have? Putting their name in google came up with a load of different types

Thanks, I love the fact that they`re so different. They are very similar to the Livingstoni but after checking with others who are more experienced than I am the id came back as definite venustus which is good because they`re apparently not quite so predatory :good:

From what I can gather, the females tend to stay with the same markings but the males will produce a fair bit of blue around the face area. Not sure exactly what age they become sexable but they reach sexual maturity at approx 1-1.5 years of age.

The ventralis video.....I was quite surprised that I got such a clear one to be honest but the id on those is that they`re ventralis chichuta :D

Very nice Nimbos. :good:
You probably won't have any unwanted Mbuna fry after the Nimbos get a bit bigger.

Very nice Nimbos. :good:
You probably won't have any unwanted Mbuna fry after the Nimbos get a bit bigger.

Thanks.
It's only the fry that I find in the weir or sump that get removed and grown on anyway so it's ok if the venustus snack a bit........just as long as I don't actually see it :lol:

very nice

got an up to date full tank shot?

*COUGH!*

Sorry, it's been a busy day as I've been trying to source some white labs, but I will get a recent full tank shot uploaded......honest :lol:

Finally got some recent pics of the tank. I will be changing the sand in there when we move so it will be a coral sand perhaps, but something much lighter as I don`t like the look of the tank the way it is now.

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

veeeeeerrrrrry nice!

is that a Seabray tank? Love their cabinets.....not a fan of their prices :lol:

veeeeeerrrrrry nice!

is that a Seabray tank? Love their cabinets.....not a fan of their prices :lol:

Yes it is. We wanted a big tank but we also like the furniture aspect of it too as it matches our other furniture. They are expensive but the quality is really good, it`s quality that is likely to last a few years so it`s worth it to us :good:

Most reactions

Back