New 29Gal Glass Aquarium.

will do as soon as I can. Are the bio-bag made for the Tetra Whisper 10-30i PowerFilter.

Forget that suggestion completely, I made an incorrect assumption. What you need is ceramic noodles, balls, tubes or whatever, like this. I'm not familiar with your filter set-up, so how easy it would be to get it in the filter, I don't know.

This stuff has so many nooks and crannies in for the bacteria to grow in, it's ideal.

okay well my filter comes with a sponge 5 inches long by 6inches tall and 1 inch thick that all sorts of nooks and crannies all over it, and since I'm running two of these filters I have to of these exact Bio spongess

okay well my filter comes with a sponge 5 inches long by 6inches tall and 1 inch thick that all sorts of nooks and crannies all over it, and since I'm running two of these filters I have to of these exact Bio spongess

Yeah, if you can't fit the bio-rings in, then sponges will do fine.

Lockman is being forgiving saying the carbon loses effectiveness in a few weeks - on average it really is used up by about 3 days. Most freshwater hobbyists just keep it around on their supply shelf to remove medications. Now, leaving it in is not necessarily all that bad in the short run as the bacteria will attach to it just like anything else. It is just not as optimal as the sponges and ceramics whose primary purpose is being "biomedia" (carbon being "chemical" media.. and floss pads being "fine mechanical" media) Those three categories (biomedia, chemical media and mechanical media) represent the three fundamental functions of filters. For biomedia, ceramics have the advantage of lasting virtually forever, sponges are just as good at supporting biofilms but do tear eventually and must be replaced (a third at a time to keep the colonies going.) Sponges have the advantage of being lighter weight and maybe a little easier to work with.

Nearly all the media you use will play some role in "mechanical" filtration (the trapping of particles) with pore sizes determining which size particles will be trapped where in the filter. Ceramic rings play a good role at the beginning of the water path by slowing down and randomizing the little flows of water. Water that moves more slowly over a bigger volume of media will be filtered better because each media function has a longer dwell time to carry out whatever it's supposed to do (drop its particles in the case of mechanical, get stuck based on chemical charge in the case of chemical media, get processed by bacteria in the case of biomedia.)

If you keep your carbon in to use as biomedia you will just want to eventually go through a process of gradually replacing it with ceramic or sponge (so that you don't lose too many bacteria as you swap out) since in the longer run the carbon will gradually crumble (this is a major reason it is not as good a biomedia as ceramic or sponge) and be carried away in weekly water changes as tiny dustlike particles.

Hope this helps a little.

~~waterdrop~~

water enters my filter from the bottom and hits this carbon cartrige, then hits the bio sponge before returning to the tank i attached photos and I'm running two of these so should this be enought to "maintain the cycle" as long as I don't go ripping everything out

Attachments

• Carbon cartrages.jpg
    Carbon cartrages.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 33
  • bio sponge.jpg
    bio sponge.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 31
Test results today where a little more up lifting it's testing 4ppm ammonia but you can tell the color is lessing so its going down again, nitrite 0ppm but it is slightly darker then 0ppm but not as dark as .25ppm, and nitrates still showing 5ppm. On a different note anyone know where to get some replacement test tubes??

Test results today where a little more up lifting it's testing 4ppm ammonia but you can tell the color is lessing so its going down again, nitrite 0ppm but it is slightly darker then 0ppm but not as dark as .25ppm, and nitrates still showing 5ppm. On a different note anyone know where to get some replacement test tubes??

My 29 gallon is 30Lx14Wx21H and on the calculators I've used it said 29 gallons. Dont know bout yours but mines a 29 or so gallon. Height may be 18 inches or 21 inches I forgot.
The forum calculator says the 30Lx14Wx21H is 38 gallons. Since my 37 gallon tank (which I know for fact is 37 US gallons) is 30Lx12Wx24H, I know whatever you're calculating with is likely innacurate. My old 29 gallon tank was 30Lx12.5Wx18H.

Most reactions

Back