New 29g - Set Up March 24

the clown fish you got are known for being hard to feed. I have one and he eats the brine shrimp i give him. Just a heads up and a tip. And also i dont think a fighting conch is necesarry for diatoms. you can just get a sand shifting star or stick with hermits. But the star is known to die off in new tanks once all the diatoms are gone and sand is nice and clean. just my opinion. Good luck though

flash

Well the lfs (which is trust able) strongly recommended the conch because they use them and they keep the sand very nice in their coral tanks, and my hermits only venture onto the sand on occasion, otherwise they stay on the live rock.

I know of the feeding problem with the clown, but he had been in the lfs for over 6 months and i made sure i got the food that they were feeding him (frozen mysid shrimp). They also recommended you could just buy regular shrimp from the market and cut it into small pieces and they will eat that, is that right?

Got a pair of Ocellaris Clowns Friday :hyper:

Pics!

clowns3.png

clowns2.png

clowns1.png

clowns4.png

They're really picky eaters :rolleyes: Though they seem to be taking more food now.

the clown fish you got are known for being hard to feed. I have one and he eats the brine shrimp i give him. Just a heads up and a tip. And also i dont think a fighting conch is necesarry for diatoms. you can just get a sand shifting star or stick with hermits. But the star is known to die off in new tanks once all the diatoms are gone and sand is nice and clean. just my opinion. Good luck though

flash

ocelaris clownfish hard to get to eat :blink: mine ripped my finger of the first time they were fed and also they ere tank bred aswell. guess i was lucky

I believe he meant the clown goby rhysiboy ;)
Mine are also tankbred, and aren't being so picky anymore, they're eating just about anything that floats now :rolleyes:

The goby's kinda of hard to see if he's eating, but i'm assuming he is, because when i put shrimp in he swims around frantically but i never actually see pieces disappear. Though I don't know what else he could be doing. :blink:

Going to be testing my water tomorrow hopefully and make sure everything's in tact. I would like to get some coral in there besides the gps, and was thinking about some frogspawn and something else. Any comments or suggestions? Note that my light is by no means great, so relatively low light corals.

whoops didnt get that ah well. are the green ones harder to get to eat than yellow clown gobys coz mine is a greedy little devil, infact hes even chalenged my bicolor pseudochromis for food :huh: anyway with adding a hard coral i personally think you should wait a while such as a month after adding all the fish. In this time youll be able to know exactly what all your stats should be, and youll be able to deal with a full bioload before adding corals that need practicaly perfect stats otherwise they shrivel and sulk.

hope i can be of some help with my odd ramblings :D

Nice tank, I am just starting out on my reef setup experience, One critism though, the tank would look a whole lot nicer if you hid those unsightly electrical wires at the rear.
Regards
BigC

nice pics nemo...Love your clowns. Those are the ones I want.

Give us some new pics! Its August something already ;) Lets see what it looks like now!

--Jim C.

Yes, i've been a bit lazy to update the past... 3 months :rolleyes:

Here ya go: Full tank shot:
Got the new light about 2 weeks ago, dad built it for me for only $100. Its got 1 55/65watt daylight and actinic bulb each. Much better than before.

fulltankaug14aj5.png

Some coral close-ups:

leatherds0.png

mushroomsxv3.png

zooswi3.png

Ordering a skimmer today, and in a couple weeks building a sump, hopefully it'll control my horrible algae :crazy: Also, my wrasse died a little bit ago, so i'm planning on a getting another one soon. :good:

Most reactions

Back