New 200L tank - where to start?

Reaction score
Hi All,

So we are upgrading to a 200L from a 90L due to the fact the 90L is so old and we have been on a house revamp and want a nice long one for our alcove in the living room. We have ordered the Tidal 55 Filter as currently we have the fluval 2 in our 90 litre and it doesn’t work so well and makes a lot of noise!

We are looking to go down the planter aquarium route, perhaps with rockery also.

my husbands convinced he wants some shrimps, but I’m wanting frogs... maybe that’s not a good idea as I’ve read frogs don’t bode well in a tank of fish especially if they get ill?

I’m not sure where to start with setting our new one up, our previous one has no gravel, do we use gravel on its own? Gravel and soil? Or sand? I have no idea what is best..

Hi All,

So we are upgrading to a 200L from a 90L due to the fact the 90L is so old and we have been on a house revamp and want a nice long one for our alcove in the living room. We have ordered the Tidal 55 Filter as currently we have the fluval 2 in our 90 litre and it doesn’t work so well and makes a lot of noise!

We are looking to go down the planter aquarium route, perhaps with rockery also.

my husbands convinced he wants some shrimps, but I’m wanting frogs... maybe that’s not a good idea as I’ve read frogs don’t bode well in a tank of fish especially if they get ill?

I’m not sure where to start with setting our new one up, our previous one has no gravel, do we use gravel on its own? Gravel and soil? Or sand? I have no idea what is best..
The substrate depends on what's going to be on the bottom. If you plan on having bottom feeders with barbs like Corydoras then sand is the best option. But if you are looking at plants I recommend the black fluorite substrate. Your plants will grow great in that. Just be sure to rinse it lots first otherwise it will cloud up your tank.

The substrate depends on what's going to be on the bottom. If you plan on having bottom feeders with barbs like Corydoras then sand is the best option. But if you are looking at plants I recommend the black fluorite substrate. Your plants will grow great in that. Just be sure to rinse it lots first otherwise it will cloud up your tank.
Do you have a preference? A man at pets@home says that gravel works best because if you disturb the sand or soil it will ruin the thank, I’ve got albino corydoras at the moment they are crazy little things up and down top to bottom, we do actually have barbs, I actually wanted a colourful fish tank so things like guppies, neon tetras etc but I think we made a mistake getting barbs as apparently they are not very nice? I haven’t noticed any trouble though but we haven’t got much for the fish to hide and weave between at the moment which is what we will do when we switch tanks so just wanna get that set planted etc before the move over...

I have 2 African Dwarf Frogs (I'm fairly new to fishkeeping) and they are SO much fun to watch. You'd need to hand feed them (I use tongs) if you keep them with fish as otherwise the fish will get all the food. The ADFs' eyesight is appalling - they bump into everything, so smoother gravel is best for when they hurtle back to the bottom after taking their gulps of air. They would need to have decorations that didn't trap them as they need to regularly shoot up to the top of the tank to breathe (they have lungs instead of gills). Many also carry salmonella (this doesn't harm them) so that's something to consider if you have immunocompromised people in your household. Mine have lived very peacefully with tetras, guppies, and now a betta - although the betta is a little wary of them!

Do you have a preference? A man at pets@home says that gravel works best because if you disturb the sand or soil it will ruin the thank, I’ve got albino corydoras at the moment they are crazy little things up and down top to bottom, we do actually have barbs, I actually wanted a colourful fish tank so things like guppies, neon tetras etc but I think we made a mistake getting barbs as apparently they are not very nice? I haven’t noticed any trouble though but we haven’t got much for the fish to hide and weave between at the moment which is what we will do when we switch tanks so just wanna get that set planted etc before the move over...
I meant the barbules on the face of the Corys not barbs the fish haha. But I would recommend the fluorite substrate. However it may damage the barbules on the Corydoras, as it did with some of mine but they are still doing fine after 3 years. But the substrate does do very well with plant growth. Now as for your barbs (the fish) do you know what kind of barbs they are? Because Tiger Barbs can be semi-aggressive where as Cherry Barbs are very peaceful and you'll be able to ass a wider amount of different fish with the cherries.

I meant the barbules on the face of the Corys not barbs the fish haha. But I would recommend the fluorite substrate. However it may damage the barbules on the Corydoras, as it did with some of mine but they are still doing fine after 3 years. But the substrate does do very well with plant growth. Now as for your barbs (the fish) do you know what kind of barbs they are? Because Tiger Barbs can be semi-aggressive where as Cherry Barbs are very peaceful and you'll be able to ass a wider amount of different fish with the cherries.
I meant the barbules on the face of the Corys not barbs the fish haha. But I would recommend the fluorite substrate. However it may damage the barbules on the Corydoras, as it did with some of mine but they are still doing fine after 3 years. But the substrate does do very well with plant growth. Now as for your barbs (the fish) do you know what kind of barbs they are? Because Tiger Barbs can be semi-aggressive where as Cherry Barbs are very peaceful and you'll be able to ass a wider amount of different fish with the cherries.haha
Haha, well you know I am new to this and female so forgive me! But that’s super helpful so thank you, yes we have gold barbs and tiger barbs - recently I’ve lost my betta, two gold algaes I’m not sure if it’s the fish or whether we are just unlucky I was told my tanks too big for a Betta so that may rule us getting another, but the Barbs may have killed him and the algae? I guess I’ll never know?

I have 2 African Dwarf Frogs (I'm fairly new to fishkeeping) and they are SO much fun to watch. You'd need to hand feed them (I use tongs) if you keep them with fish as otherwise the fish will get all the food. The ADFs' eyesight is appalling - they bump into everything, so smoother gravel is best for when they hurtle back to the bottom after taking their gulps of air. They would need to have decorations that didn't trap them as they need to regularly shoot up to the top of the tank to breathe (they have lungs instead of gills). Many also carry salmonella (this doesn't harm them) so that's something to consider if you have immunocompromised people in your household. Mine have lived very peacefully with tetras, guppies, and now a betta - although the betta is a little wary of them!
wow!! Tell me more about this frogs, when you say hand feed them? Do you mean actually feed them in your hands? In or out the water?! They sound so cool!!!!

For cories, I would personally go with sand and then use root tabs for plant fertilizer. I think fluorite is overpriced and over time loses its efficacy anyway. Are you planning on moving the fish you currently have to the new tank or keeping both tanks running? You are on target that your current fish have to be considered when adding new fish to see if they play well together, as well as if the fish need similar water parameters.

If you use the search function on a website called seriouslyfish.com to look up your current fish, you can get an idea of water parameters as well as personality there.

Do you know the hardness and pH of your tap water? Your water company should have that information on their website. You can compare that to the water parameters listed for fish on seriouslyfish, and it should make it easier to choose fish that will do well. Often,when you select fish that are well suited to your local water parameters,they end up living longer and having less illnesses than fish that may be out of their "comfort range".

I m excited for your new project - Sometimes the planning is just as fun as the doing!

Just a word of advise. Never ever listen to advise given at petsathome. They don't have a clue about what's going on. Although they might be giving you helpful comments it's always best to either do your own research, or post questions on here.
Pets at home are no use!

Sorry about that.
Rant over

Hi welcome to the forum :)

If you are going down the planted route make sure you check out some of the aquascaping channels on You Tube like Green Aqua and George Farmer. It will really help get an understanding of whats possible and their set up guides are really useful.

In terms of substrate, I would always recommend sand over gravel as there are no fish that need gravel where as some specifically need sand as mentioned above. If you are wanting to do plants there are some specific plant substrates that are good to use, I use Tropica Aquarium Soil and Powder - as mentioned over time it does run out of nutrients but it can be brought back to life with root tabs if needed, but over time it will build up a supply of nutrients from fish waste (that cant get removed) and plant matter (dead roots, leaves etc). When you mention rocks in the tank be careful which you go for (unless you are prepared for it) some of the cool aquascaping rocks can affect your Ph and its better to choose ones that dont. Eg Seriu stone can change your water params but Frodo stone doesnt and they do look quite similar (but Frodo is a bit more expensive).

I wouldnt recommend frogs in with fish, it can work in some circumstances but equally it can be problematic.

Wills

Just a word of advise. Never ever listen to advise given at petsathome. They don't have a clue about what's going on. Although they might be giving you helpful comments it's always best to either do your own research, or post questions on here.
Pets at home are no use!

Sorry about that.
Rant over
No I appreciate that!
Hence why I posted here, we all have our own opinions so any advice is gravely appreciated, any advice you care to give? thanksnl

Hi welcome to the forum :)

If you are going down the planted route make sure you check out some of the aquascaping channels on You Tube like Green Aqua and George Farmer. It will really help get an understanding of whats possible and their set up guides are really useful.

In terms of substrate, I would always recommend sand over gravel as there are no fish that need gravel where as some specifically need sand as mentioned above. If you are wanting to do plants there are some specific plant substrates that are good to use, I use Tropica Aquarium Soil and Powder - as mentioned over time it does run out of nutrients but it can be brought back to life with root tabs if needed, but over time it will build up a supply of nutrients from fish waste (that cant get removed) and plant matter (dead roots, leaves etc). When you mention rocks in the tank be careful which you go for (unless you are prepared for it) some of the cool aquascaping rocks can affect your Ph and its better to choose ones that dont. Eg Seriu stone can change your water params but Frodo stone doesnt and they do look quite similar (but Frodo is a bit more expensive).

I wouldnt recommend frogs in with fish, it can work in some circumstances but equally it can be problematic.

Wills
Thank you, it’s crazy you guys are so informative I’m a female and I’m like what what did you just say lol! I don’t wanna over complicate my set up but I don’t want a rubbish one either, like I said above I’ve got 200L tank it’s 100x40x50 in size so I’ve got quite a bit to work with! I saw the tropica sand, you know when your syphoning when there’s sad does this pick up the sand and disturb the aquarium?

Last edited by a moderator:
No I appreciate that!
Hence why I posted here, we all have our own opinions so any advice is gravely appreciated, any advice you care to give? thanksnl
That's ok.
I don't usually feel comfortable giving advice on here as I don't have a huge amount of knowledge myself. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people on here though as I'm sure you've already noticed.
Good luck!

Thank you, it’s crazy you guys are so informative I’m a female and I’m like what what did you just say lol! I don’t wanna over complicate my set up but I don’t want a shitty one either, like I said above I’ve got 200L tank it’s 100x40x50 in size so I’ve got quite a bit to work with! I saw the tropica sand, you know when your syphoning when there’s sad does this pick up the sand and disturb the aquarium?
Just move the syphoning tube around above the sand and the dirt particles will lift and float around therefore helping you suck them up. Don't touch the sand with the tube as it'll suck it up as well.

Pets at home are no use!

Sorry about that.
Rant over
yes never listen to pet store people unless they know what theyre doing. real fish stores specializzed for fish is good. also start slowly annd with plants

Most reactions

Back