New 125l Set Up

serbusfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently set up a 125 Litre aquarium (Juwel Rio 125) which is currently cycling, I have drawn up a list of the fish/critters I want to put in it and was wondering for some feedback;

5 African Dwarf Frogs
6 Red Cherry Shrimp
2 Ghost Shrimp
1 Betta Fish
3 Zebra Loaches
6 Galaxy Rasboras

Does this look good? Would there be room for any more? If so any suggestions? Obviously the main deciding factor is the Betta, ive done a lot of research and as far as I can tell all the species listed should get along fine with it and vice-versa.

For the record I just want to say I have removed the internal Juwel filter and replaced it with an external filter (JBL CristalProfi e901), I plan to add some live plants + a few larger rocks too, but in the meantime this is how it looks:

534135_10151335226340815_1484408404_n.jpg

Nice tank mate. 1 down fall i dnt like are fake plants but relay nice work keep that up :)

Shrimp and frogs, not sure. I was recently watching a youtube video how the frogs were eating adult cherry shimp on one go. Almost anything will eat shrimp anyway if no hiding places or/and the fish is big enough to eat them. Frogs are hard to feed too and can be outcompeted for food by faster tank mates.

Nice tank mate. 1 down fall i dnt like are fake plants but relay nice work keep that up
smile.png

I will be having live plants, I got that one as I just saw it in a shop and thought it look nice, plus its nice and soft so wont damage the webbing on the frogs feet.

Shrimp and frogs, not sure. I was recently watching a youtube video how the frogs were eating adult cherry shimp on one go. Almost anything will eat shrimp anyway if no hiding places or/and the fish is big enough to eat them. Frogs are hard to feed too and can be outcompeted for food by faster tank mates.

A lot of website list Cherry Shrimp as ideal Dwarf frog tank mates, perhaps you saw a video of Clawed frogs? Dwarf frogs only grow 1.5" - 2.5" long, Clawed frogs grow 4" - 6" and eat literally anything they can fit in their mouths.

I realize though that both types of frogs are slow eaters, so im going to have a terra cotta plate in one corner of the tank and train the frogs to eat off it, so i can feed everything else at one end of the tank and this should give the frogs a better chance of chowing down in peace :)

Don't know anything about frogs, but i do know about loaches. Double the amount of Zebras most definitely. Three really isn't enough and you may not see to much of them. Go for at least six.

Don't know anything about frogs, but i do know about loaches. Double the amount of Zebras most definitely. Three really isn't enough and you may not see to much of them. Go for at least six.

Ok 6 it is then :)

Rather than make another thread I do have a quick question, I set up my tank on Sunday and started cycling today (Monday) with "Nutrafin Cycle", I was wondering should I be doing any water changes during the cycle and after the 3 days of using the Nutrafin how long til I can start adding fish? I dont currently have a water test kit as my local store had run out but I plan to pick one asap.

Nice tank mate. 1 down fall i dnt like are fake plants but relay nice work keep that up
smile.png

I will be having live plants, I got that one as I just saw it in a shop and thought it look nice, plus its nice and soft so wont damage the webbing on the frogs feet.

A lot of website list Cherry Shrimp as ideal Dwarf frog tank mates, perhaps you saw a video of Clawed frogs? Dwarf frogs only grow 1.5" - 2.5" long, Clawed frogs grow 4" - 6" and eat literally anything they can fit in their mouths.

I realize though that both types of frogs are slow eaters, so im going to have a terra cotta plate in one corner of the tank and train the frogs to eat off it, so i can feed everything else at one end of the tank and this should give the frogs a better chance of chowing down in peace
smile.png

Here is the video I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2dPy0EC8Ys

Ok 6 it is then
smile.png

Rather than make another thread I do have a quick question, I set up my tank on Sunday and started cycling today (Monday) with "Nutrafin Cycle", I was wondering should I be doing any water changes during the cycle and after the 3 days of using the Nutrafin how long til I can start adding fish? I dont currently have a water test kit as my local store had run out but I plan to pick one asap.

Cycling can take upto 6 weeks, i would strongly suggest you visit this page http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ and read al the information about cycling.

I would also say that a rio 125 is a bit on the tall side for frogs. I have one. The water depth in mine is over 16 inches, and the max recommended for adfs is 14 inches. They need to be able to get to the surface to breathe and they can struggle if the water is too deep. Unless Juwel have changed the dimensions since I got mine
smile.png

You'll find a lot of people reckon Cycle does nothing to cycle a tank. Look at the fishless cycling thread in the link that sebn gave you.

snazy said:
Here is the video I saw

Huh, perhaps shrimp arent such a good idea then :)

sebn said:
Cycling can take upto 6 weeks, i would strongly suggest you visit this page http://www.fishforum...esource-center/ and read al the information about cycling.

Why do they put on the bottle that fish can be added after the third day if it can take up to 6 weeks? I may as well have done the fishless cycle with fish food in that case :(

I would also say that a rio 125 is a bit on the tall side for frogs. I have one. The water depth in mine is over 16 inches, and the max recommended for adfs is 14 inches. They need to be able to get to the surface to breathe and they can struggle if the water is too deep. Unless Juwel have changed the dimensions since I got mine
smile.png

Just measured and my water depth is only 15", im sure 1 more inch will be ok :) although to be honest ive read that anything up to 24" is fine for Dwarf frogs:

'Despite being fully aquatic, the African dwarf frog still needs to be able to reach the surface to breathe. Very high or deep tanks over 20 inches in height are not recommended. These amphibians are not great swimmers, so water currents should be kept low. Very deep tanks may pose a challenge to their ability to breathe. In the wild, the Congo forest floods yearly to a depth of 24 or more inches. So anything less than that will be suitable.'

I got the information about the water depth from the website of a member on here.

One thing to warn you about - frogs are escape artists. One of mine got aout through a tiny hole in the lid, presumably by climbing up the heater and filter wires - it got out through the hole they go through. The rio has two cut outs in the back of the tank. Can I suggests that if you get frogs you plug them, a bit of filter wool is perfect and you won't be able to see it from the front of the tank.

I got the information about the water depth from the website of a member on here.

One thing to warn you about - frogs are escape artists. One of mine got aout through a tiny hole in the lid, presumably by climbing up the heater and filter wires - it got out through the hole they go through. The rio has two cut outs in the back of the tank. Can I suggests that if you get frogs you plug them, a bit of filter wool is perfect and you won't be able to see it from the front of the tank.

Yes I already have plans to block those holes up :D

So anyway tomorrow (thursday) im going to buy a water test kit and see how my water is doing (it stinks so I guess its going to be showing pretty high readings), I have finished using the Nutrafin Cycle so should I do a water change?

Can I just check - have you added anything to the tank besides Nutrafin Cycle?

The majority of people on here who have used that product have found it was useless. The best thing you can do is pick up a bottle of ammonia while you are out buying the test kit. Then test the tank water, add enough ammonia to get the tank to 5ppm, and test the tank water again 24 hours later. If the ammonia level is above zero, the Nutrafin Cycle hasn't worked and you'll need to carry on doing a fishless cycle. You'll probably find zero nitrite though as there won't be any bacteria to make it from ammonia yet.

Also, test your tapwater when you get the kit - and for pH, leave a glass of water to stand for 24 hours and test again. It'll probably change. It is very useful to know what your water is like straight from the tap. In the UK, we are allowed up to 50ppm nitrate in tapwater for example.

If you are in the UK, you can get the ammonia from Homebase in the household cleaning section. If you have a local diy shop, they might well stock it too. Fish shops don't stock it.

Can I just check - have you added anything to the tank besides Nutrafin Cycle?

The majority of people on here who have used that product have found it was useless. The best thing you can do is pick up a bottle of ammonia while you are out buying the test kit. Then test the tank water, add enough ammonia to get the tank to 5ppm, and test the tank water again 24 hours later. If the ammonia level is above zero, the Nutrafin Cycle hasn't worked and you'll need to carry on doing a fishless cycle. You'll probably find zero nitrite though as there won't be any bacteria to make it from ammonia yet.

Also, test your tapwater when you get the kit - and for pH, leave a glass of water to stand for 24 hours and test again. It'll probably change. It is very useful to know what your water is like straight from the tap. In the UK, we are allowed up to 50ppm nitrate in tapwater for example.

If you are in the UK, you can get the ammonia from Homebase in the household cleaning section. If you have a local diy shop, they might well stock it too. Fish shops don't stock it.

I put in some fish food the day before using the Cycle, the pellets I put in have grown hairs
saddam.gif

I dont have my car today so I cant go anywhere that sells ammonia, but i'll test the water today and go and buy some tomorrow if I need it.

Ok I just tested my water as it is, and the results:

Nitrate: 10mg/l
Nitrite: 0mg/l
PH: 6.8

I'll remove the excess food, do a 50% water change and test again.

Most reactions

Back