New 10 Gallon Tank

EllaMae

Reaction score
I have a spare 10 gallon which I want to set back up, currently thinking of planted betta tank.
I need to find some sort of lighting for the tank- it's a clear seal with no built in lighting
I need to pick up a new heater and a filter and some more decorations for the tank :)

I have 3 ten gallon tanks like you describe. I have a very thin sand base, and have planted them with Java Fern and Java Moss that have thrived into a veritable forest and a front and center Anubias nana. All 3 plants are not fussy about lighting, substrate or fertilizer. Some duckweed floats on surface. I keep them at 78-80F with either submersible Tetra or Cobalt heaters. Lighting is a Marineland LED laid upon the glass cover on a timer 14hrs a day. Filtration is a small sponge filter. Weekly 25-30% water changes and a monthly squeezing of the sponge filter in the to be discarded tank water is all the maintenance I do. My Bettas seem happy and both fish and plants are thriving, huge change from former smaller 1-2 gallon jars. Only problem is I now am looking for space to set up a couple more tanks.

Good luck, your Betta will love the space.
David

Thank you, this will be my first planted tank so a bit lost I was thinking Java moss. Is it just normal sand that you use or a particular one
I know that problem, I am struggling for space for any more at the moment! I think this will have to be my last for awhile unfortunately! :(

I use black aquarium sand, nothing special. Also I have a black sponge board on the outside back of the tanks; I think dark colors calm the fish and hide draped wires, tubing, etc. Since all of the plants don't need "planting", I keep the layer thin. Fern and Anubias' rhizome can't be imbedded or will rot, moss clings to whatever decorations it can. I also have a collection of at least two species of small snails that came as stowaways with the moss that keep algae in check cleaning glass and plants but leaving healthy leaves alone. A lone shrimp, Sherman, appeared one day as well, more than a year after any new addition of plants or driftwood; he/she is still a mystery... Spontaneous generation?

David

Anubias is a great plant, very undemanding, and some bettas will enjoy sleeping on the larger leaves.  As stated, they can't have their rhizome buried under the substrate - These plants are great being tied to rocks, driftwood, etc.  Eventually the plant will actually grow some 'roots' that will attach and hold it in place on the decor.  

Anubias and java fern are both like this and are extremely easy to grow.  

You can also add some floating plants that the fish will also appreciate.  Bettas occur naturally in waters covered with a bit of vegetation.  Adding some type of floating plant will only make the display nicer.  Good floaters would be things like frogbit, water wisteria, hornwort.  

I'd steer clear of duckweed, unless you are looking for some terrestrial plant fertilizer/mulch.  This stuff grows like crazy and you'll eventually need to remove excess growth... but it is a great source of nitrogen for houseplants... just remove the duck weed and place a thin layer around your terrestrial plants.

Most reactions

Back