Never mind

The end of my 1st post… “if it does have swim bladder issues, can that heal over time”

You don't know whether it has a swim bladder issue, for one thing, and it's in a high flow tank where all the flagtails are sickly and not high current fish, so the tumbling doesn't necessarily mean it has a swim bladder issue.

But yes, depending on what's causing the swim bladder problem, it can heal in time.
Ok…my original question was, or meant to be… was if this is a swim bladder issue, will that get better, or should I kill the fish….

No, there's no need to kill this fish at this point.
It came to me that way, it’s condition is not the result of my water…

Nobody said it was. But the conditions of the water and tank they are in now will certainly affect whether they can recover from whatever is ailing them or not. That's why people ask.
I am really the busiest guy you will have ever met…

Good for you? What is this supposed to mean? Plenty of people here are busy. Then spend some of their downtime here, spending their time to give advice to people asking for help, for free.

Right now I'm awake in the middle of the night because I'm caring for my elderly mother who has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and only has months left to live. So I really don't care how busy you are.

but I will go down and test my water, just because you asked, even though it had nothing to do with my question

This is a text based forum, and you've been here long enough to know that we need certain info from the OP in order to be able to offer any useful advice. We cannot see your tanks or the fish, or test the water ourselves, or know your whole history, background and usual tank maintenance routines. We rely on whatever info you provide in this thread, then try to help. All the info we have is what you've said about them arriving in a bad way, and a blurry photo of several sickly looking fish through filthy glass. Makes it somewhat tough to diagnose the problem and offer actually helpful advice.

Then when people ask follow up questions, you were just ignoring them, and now getting snotty about it, as if I have no right to ask! When I'm only asking in order to try to help, so the other people above who have experience with this species could give you better advice!

I'll remember not to pester you with unwanted help the next time you ask.

Just did a 30!% water change on this tank, to take care of the nitrates… I’ve been feeding too heavily to make sure the little guys got plenty to eat… vacuumed up too much extra feed out of the gravel

“Filthy glass” … yep, maybe not my best idea, but that is an old 55 gallon thick glass aquarium, built into the wall of our shower / whirlpool bath, in the master bathroom… it’s near impossible to keep the glass clean, on the outside, so I rarely take pictures of that tank… but it sure is nice to soak in the tub, and watch the fish… I’ll just quit asking questions, or posting pictures, if I’m going to get insulted

“Filthy glass” … yep, maybe not my best idea, but that is an old 55 gallon thick glass aquarium, built into the wall of our shower / whirlpool bath, in the master bathroom… it’s near impossible to keep the glass clean, on the outside

I don't care about watermarks on glass, that doesn't do any harm to the fish at all. I only mention it in this case because trying to diagnose a fish from a still photo is hard enough, and when the glass is watermarked too, it's really hard to tell what specks are on the fish, in the water, or just on the glass.
so I rarely take pictures of that tank… but it sure is nice to soak in the tub, and watch the fish… I’ll just quit asking questions, or posting pictures, if I’m going to get insulted
I wasn't super polite about the glass because you'd already become snippy with me just for asking a simple follow up question about water parameters, telling me you're a busy guy but that you made a special trip just to test it because I'd asked, even though you didn't think it was important. Yet now you're acting as though you were the one who was insulted?

I was simply trying to offer help. You were rude to me, and expect me to be super nice back? Where did I insult you? I mentioned the glass in the photo was dirty, making it hard to see the fish. That's not an insult, just a fact.

You also don't need to be over dramatic and swear you won't post anymore. There are plenty of other people on the forum you can interact with, and there's an ignore feature on the forum so you'd never have to see my posts on here anyhow.
… and BTW @AdoraBelle Dearheart I’ll pray for your mother
Thank you. Sincerely.

Having calmed down a bit and re-read this, it's likely me that's in the wrong here. Or at least, I over-reacted and should have left it alone. I really shouldn't post in random threads when I'm not in a good emotional state.

But I'm never really in a good emotional state lately...

I apologise, @Magnum Man . It's frustrating at times when you need more info, but I was definitely harsh when you didn't deserve it.

& I apologies, to you as well... that particular tank should be "safe", but it's not one I'm proud of, & I'm a bit embarrassed, to have to take pictures of it, & that there was a low level Nitrates

I really did pray for for your mother, for peace & to be pain free... I pray for you as well, taking care of an elder parent is not for sissy's... I'm primary for my 87 year old mother, & my wife is primary for her 93 year old uncle... so we know what you are going through... if you ever need to talk... PM me...

the other 3 look better each day, but the tumbler, I'm surprised each time I look in the tank, & it's still alive... I really expected it to die the 1st night in the tank... I'll reassess tonight & see if I want to put it down

Last edited:
& I apologies, to you as well... that particular tank should be "safe", but it's not one I'm proud of, & I'm a bit embarrassed, to have to take pictures of it, & that there was a low level Nitrates

Thank you! No need to apologise, but I'm grateful that we were able to make up! No need to be embarrassed about the tank either, watermarks on the glass happen and aren't harmful, and having a tank you can watch and enjoy while soaking in the tub sounds amazing! I'm now eyeing up the windowsill in our tiny bathroom and wondering if I could find a tank that would fit there! :lol:

Nitrates happen too, 20ppm isn't a dangerous level, and we've all been there. Especially when you're a caregiver, I'll openly admit that I've missed water changes and not done much with the tanks beyond basic maintenance lately. I even thought of shutting down the tanks while I'm so busy with caregiving, but haven't quite reached that point yet, and think we still need something that's for ourselves, you know? We can only do our best.
I really did pray for for your mother, for peace & to be pain free... I pray for you as well, taking care of an elder parent is not for sissy's... I'm primary for my 87 year old mother, & my wife is primary for her 93 year old uncle... so we know what you are going through... if you ever need to talk... PM me...

Thank you so much. I openly wept when I read this... it is really hard. I'm sorry you're going through it too, I'm sending prayers and my pms are open if you ever need. If anyone understands, it's another caregiver. Fortunately mum isn't in pain at the moment, which I'm so grateful for as well. But the diagnosis and decline in her health was so fast, it's definitely a huge adjustment, and we're still grieving losing my dad in February, and now grieving for mum, but while she's still here. I'm throwing myself into planning the best Christmas I can, while getting through the day to day stuff as well. Fortunately I have an excellent GP now, as does she, and we're having services and help thrown at us from the professionals. The NHS isn't perfect, but the people are wonderful, and I'm so glad we have it right now.

We're both lucky to have had parents that lived into their 80s at least. Not everyone is so fortunate. But caregiving is definitely hard, and the balance of respecting their independence and the fact they're your parent, but that the roles have reversed somewhat is such a delicate balance.
the other 3 look better each day, but the tumbler, I'm surprised each time I look in the tank, & it's still alive... I really expected it to die the 1st night in the tank... I'll reassess tonight & see if I want to put it down

How is it doing now? Trust your own judgement. You'll know if it's struggling too much, and euthanising can be the kinder option if it's unlikely to recover and is suffering. You seem experienced enough to know when it's time. Hoping for the best for you for the rest of the group! :flowers:

Lost my dad quite a while ago, and now I have outlived his age… mom did well, for several years after losing my dad, but you are definitely right about role reversal… some times now she acts like a 3 year old… and she has lost her ability to be polite… I still take her out for lunch every Friday, and she will talk about people judgemently right in front of them… after putting up with it one time I told her that we were going to have to eat in the car next week… big upcoming motorcycle rally , and we live along the route… told her I didn’t want to get beat up by a big “biker” after she insulted his girlfriend… she said “I’d never do that” … but, sadly she does…

My Sister in Law was a nurse and recently died of cancer… she said she wanted to die at home… but she did not go peacefully…. I think it traumatized her grown children, and my brother, watching her die “not peacefully”

I pray you don’t have to go through that…

Flag fish is still holding on.. I got to watch that tank for 30 minutes this morning, and I thought the “tumbler” was looking better, but still does flips…

I have a screened elbow on my Aquaclear 70, to move the inlet out of the bubble stream of a 10 inch air bar below it… that is pretty packed with detatched Java fern babies, so that flow is next to nothing right now… I had been meaning to pull them out and plant them in a different tank… but I’m waiting on the condition of the tumbler… otherwise there is another large power filter on the other side of the 55 gallon that is flowing normally… the tumbler had been hanging out at the surface of the calm side… and it actually looks like the fins are starting to grow back… so we’ll see what he can do for now…

Last edited:
“Tumbler” is still doing good… tail, and fins seems to be growing back, and the fish eats good… I did tank maintenance today… the fish looks more stable, so I unplugged the other filter, I have to remove a piece on the wall to vacuum the other side of the tank, and I did that, along with another major water change… I still think it may be swim bladder issues as as it’s at the top of the tank at all times… it’s eating very well, so maybe it’ll get better

As all 4 of the flag fish are new to me, I have no idea of ages… one is 2.5 inches long, and the other 3 are only about 1.25 inches long, and the tumbler is one of the smaller ones… wondering if the bigger is a female, and the other 3 males???

As I was reading that thread, for a while there I was sad that two of our lovable regulars seemed to be hitting each others buttons. I’m so glad you two worked it out and am wishing you both the best, as well as for those in your care. It certainly makes for long days and little sleep.

Most reactions

Back