Never cleaned canister filter

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I’m not sure how controversial this is, but I’ve had my canister filter over a year. I cleaned it once about 8 months ago using tank water, rinsing out and squeezing the sponges which were very black. Since then; I have never touched the filter, and I don’t see a reason to. The flow is just as powerful as ever; I have successfully bred discus, and the water is crystal clear. Am I in the wrong here?

No, you aren't doing anything wrong. I used prefilters on my canisters and cleaned them at 6 months but only because any longer, the flow was slightly reduced. If your nitrates are fine and the filter pumps as it should, have at it. But at some point, though, you should break it down and clean the impeller etc. You don't use activated carbon do you?

So I’m not sure how controversial this is, but I’ve had my canister filter over a year. I cleaned it once about 8 months ago using tank water, rinsing out and squeezing the sponges which were very black. Since then; I have never touched the filter, and I don’t see a reason to. The flow is just as powerful as ever; I have successfully bred discus, and the water is crystal clear. Am I in the wrong here?
What kind of canister filter are you running?

No, you aren't doing anything wrong. I used prefilters on my canisters and cleaned them at 6 months but only because any longer, the flow was slightly reduced. If your nitrates are fine and the filter pumps as it should, have at it. But at some point, though, you should break it down and clean the impeller etc. You don't use activated carbon do you?
Agree with the above in bold.

I clean my Eheim 2215 Classic every 3 months; it's the lone canister filter I use

My HOB filters get cleaned once a month

In my much earlier days in the hobby, I thought we were best served by keeping filters clean. After all filters trap organic waste where it decomposes and pollutes the water. In theory that seemed sound, but only if you were to clean the filter every day or even more often. In fact, much like the substrate, a powerful biology develops in the untouched filter and increased filtration happens as filters become loaded with material.
These days I only clean filters when output flows are noticeably reduced and the degree of cleaning may vary - in any case, the process rebuilds and continues. :)

i use a Rena 3 canister filter on my 125 gal. aquarium. clean it about every 4 months or so. i put the ceramic rings and stars in some captured aquarium water and just use the garden hose to blast all the other materials away. i buy the charcoal in a big container and use a reloadable sleave bag for the charcoal. only part i've ever had to change on the filter was the impeller which cracked for some unknown reason. it's been doing a good job for eons now.

i use a Rena 3 canister filter on my 125 gal. aquarium. clean it about every 4 months or so. i put the ceramic rings and stars in some captured aquarium water and just use the garden hose to blast all the other materials away. i buy the charcoal in a big container and use a reloadable sleave bag for the charcoal. only part i've ever had to change on the filter was the impeller which cracked for some unknown reason. it's been doing a good job for eons now.
Why use charcoal?

I don't clean canisters often, sometimes once a year, sometimes longer. I go by the flow slowing down.

I have an incredible ability to break them when I clean them. I don't know why. Canister filters tremble when I enter the room.

Most people overstock heavily, and overfeed. That makes for a lot of work to keep the tank running.

Charcoal? I got a gas BBQ, and haven't bought charcoal since then... I know they find that stuff in archaeological digs. I stopped using it in filters sometime in the mid 1970s.

I don't clean canisters often, sometimes once a year, sometimes longer. I go by the flow slowing down.

I have an incredible ability to break them when I clean them. I don't know why. Canister filters tremble when I enter the room.

Most people overstock heavily, and overfeed. That makes for a lot of work to keep the tank running.

Charcoal? I got a gas BBQ, and haven't bought charcoal since then... I know they find that stuff in archaeological digs. I stopped using it in filters sometime in the mid 1970s.
With all due respect, charcoal > gas, for grilling ... no need for debate on that subject :D

Yep!
Oh yeah, sometimes I feel like Madusa when the gaskets see me. They turn to stone!
You bet, that is the key to success!

Eheim used to make a prefilter that I used for many years on my filters. They were simple and greatly extended the cleaning interval.

Charcoal's an expensive old habit. It isn't cheap anymore.
When I started, as a kid in 1966, we were told it was essential, but we were also told we could have a semi-magical balanced aquarium with no water changes ever, and charcoal kept the smell down in those tanks. Once the water change era arrived, the worst of the aquarium smell went away, and charcoal became unnecessary except to remove meds.

We lived in a smelly world, with tobacco smoke streaming out of everyone's noses and fishtanks that smelled like a moose had drowned in them. There was a fad to put charcoal in cigarette filters too.

Pretty much preaching to the choir here, I clean my two Fluvals only when I notice the flow starts to slow down and that can be anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Most reactions

Back