Nerite Snails

afroturf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am thinking of adding some nerite snails to my aquarium to keep on top of algae i've heard that they are brilliant algae eaters but i am a little concerned about their eggs i've read some threads that say they are very unsightly and impossible to remove how big a problem is this? and can you advise on anywhere on-line to get them i would get them from aquaessentials but they are all sold out. :angry:

ebay has them, cheaper than AE as well. just type in "nerite" and you'll find them at the bottom in the 'ebay shops' section.

but i am a little concerned about their eggs i've read some threads that say they are very unsightly and impossible to remove how big a problem is this?

Nerites, according to many sources, do not reproduce in the home aquarium...

I've had some nerite snails for ~2 months now. I've had no eggs laid though that isn't to say I won't! I am unsure if different types of nerite will breed (mine are all different types) or whether one on its own will lay eggs? They really do keep my tank algae free (though staghorn doesn't seem to get touched).

I had only 1 nerite snail in my tank, was fine for several months, then started laying eggs all over my bogwood. These don't come off just by scrubbing, you'll need a knife to scrape them off. It can be done, but scraping off several hundred eggs takes a lot of time and patience.
I've since moved him into my brackish tank where he laid a couple of eggs, but seems to have stopped for now.
Maybe there's a particular season when they lay eggs? Or are they male & female and mine had already mated before i got it?

nerite snails are male and females

the female can store the sperm and they lay eggs unfertile aswell

so the trick is just to get males but i wouldnt know where to start by sexing them

maybe just by watching them do the deed :blush: you could see the males do da :blush: :hyper: :blush:

sharon

They are hermaphrodites, which means they can in effect have sex with themselves. This is a evolutionary technique, it means that when the population is low they can breed even if they cant find a mate. But this doesn't provide much opportunity for genetic transfer, so when there are enough around to find mate having both sex organs means they can reproduce and transfer DNA no matter what, very cleaver really!

FYI I got one few weeks ago, its now dieing horribly in my tank, think the pH might be to low at around 6.4, but according to AE they should be ok down to 6. Also might be a lack of calcium, a supplement might be a good idea if you are considering getting them and have a soft water tank.

Sam

They are hermaphrodites, which means they can in effect have sex with themselves. This is a evolutionary technique, it means that when the population is low they can breed even if they cant find a mate. But this doesn't provide much opportunity for genetic transfer, so when there are enough around to find mate having both sex organs means they can reproduce and transfer DNA no matter what, very cleaver really!

FYI I got one few weeks ago, its now dieing horribly in my tank, think the pH might be to low at around 6.4, but according to AE they should be ok down to 6. Also might be a lack of calcium, a supplement might be a good idea if you are considering getting them and have a soft water tank.

Sam

nerite snails are not hermaphrodites , you have to have one male and one female to have fertile eggs, the female can lay eggs that are infertile.

:good:

"Most members of the Neritidae family are salt-water snails, but some species have adapted to brackish and even freshwater environments.
The drop-like shape of their shell makes it easy to distinct these snails from most other freshwater snails. The often beautiful and attractive colour pattern of their shell is differs from the generally conspicuous appearance of most other freshwater snails.
The Neritidae have separated sexes and the small white eggs are deposited on rocks, the glass and other solid objects. The growth of these snails is fairly slow, which explains why these snails are often more expensive the fast growing snails like apple snails.
For the aquarist these snails are an attractive choice, both by their look as for algae control. They have not much appetite for plants, whilst algae aren't safe for them.
Despite these snails are not always easy obtain, several species are occasionally offered in the aquarium trade"

I stand corrected, i was of the understanding that all snails were hermaphrodites, when actually it turns out thats only land snails, not apparently aquatic snails :)

You learn something every day

Sam

Hey Sam,

If you want to add calcium to the tank I've heard those white holiday blocks are full of calcium and slowly fizz in the water - could be worth a shot?

I've also been looking into aquiring a few nerites for my recently set up nano - although wasn't too keen on the idea of having to cater for particular snails as well as picky plants.

Regards,

Paul.

Most reactions

Back