Neons? To Keep Or To Go?

lil-x-me...x

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Heyaa,

iv just found this part of the site, never knew it exsisted lol.
i have a 48ltr tank (around 10g) and my stock list at the moment is:
. 9 neon tetras
. 4 ottos

i am thinking of getting 5 more ottos, or 5 pygmy corys, and then getting one male gourami, for then me to aventually add 2 females when some tetras die off :( so i should be left with:

. about 6 neon tetras
. 5 pgymy corys (if i can find them)
. either 4 ottos (if i get the pygmy corys) or 10 ottos (if i dont get the pygmy corys)
. then 3 gouramis (1 male, 3 females)

that sound ok?

or i was considering having 6 gouramis (these gouramis being honey and red honey gouramis)
then 5 pygymy corys and 5 ottos or 10 ottos...

which should i go for?

thanks x

Well in my opinion you are overstocked already, i wouldnt put neons or ottos in a 10 gallon, certainly not as many as you have and i would say definatley not to adding gouramis and cories to this mix.

What kind of gouramis are you looking at?

The neons dont do well in smaller tanks, they need space to swim and being shoaling fish you need larger numbers therfore a larger tank. I wouldnt personally put ottos in anything less than a 20 gallon.

I think you need to rethink your stocking levels as your tank is too small.

honey gouramis i was thinking of adding...the smallest gourami's.

so what would you put in a 10 gallon tank then? iv gone down to the smallest fish i could in the shop!? :blink: :shout:
but obviously i was wrong to do so...so what COULD i have in this damn small tank! grr im stressed as i cant have a tank any bigger than a 48ltr lol :angry:

so what fish would go in? :unsure:

the 6 gouramis i was told would go in fine in my tank. by someone in the gourami thread?

and i was told ottos and pygmy corys would be fine too.

what would you suggest?

anybody go with the 6 gouramis or...?

right iv made up my mind (been given advise aswell)

this is my plan for my new stock:

3 honey gouramis (1 male to 2 females)
4 ottos and 5 pygmy or 6 ottos
and then 6 neon tetras

will go next saturday to get some live plants and get them in. x

Neons still wouldnt be my first choice but it can be done with good filtration and frequent water changes and you should be fine with the current stocking list. The reason being neons may be small but they need quite alot of swimming space, they are also not very hardy and the tank needs to have been running for at least 6 months.

You should be fine with the honey gouramis and neons together though, and i personally would go for either ottos or cories not both, you should be fine with a shoal of pygmy cories but the ottos i wouldnt put in such a small tank especially not with cories as well.

I know how you feel i have a 10 gallon im finding incredibly hard to stock, but its important to be careful due to it being smaller it makes it unstable and therfore you shouldn't overstock too much. :)

I added 12 neons to my tank 2 weeks after cloning and all 12 neons are still doing well - months later

Well i still havent gone out to get anymore fish, but i just want to ask if there are any nice shoals of fish that would be suitable for my tank, i know some of you dont think neons would be practicle, so what would you suggest?

any shoals that would go nice? was thinking of having just 1 dwarf gourami, as someone on here asked if 1 dwarf gourami would be ok for his 48ltr and someone replied yes.

any shoals that anyone would reccomend? :dunno:

Dwarf Gourami are prone to bacterial infection and don't seem to live very long.
You would be best going for Honey Gourami as they are a lot hardier.

Most reactions

Back