Neons, Cardinals and Phantoms!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Helium_Junkie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all!
I have some neons, and I would like to add some Cardinals/Phantoms. The questions is, would these fish schoal together? For example, 6 neons, 3 cardinals and 3 phantoms, would they all be happy or must I get more of each?

hi there
we have 6 cardinals & used to have 8 neons (lost loads to neon tetra disease sadly :( ) & they always schooled /hung out together so im sure yours will too. not sure about the phantoms but ive read similar q's before & apparently small tetras will school together. :D

Hi

You'll find that most tetra's of about the same size will school together. Beause of their small size they tent to have an instinct that safety comes in numbers.

Chew

Heya

A mixed group of small tetras would tend to hang round together but if you have a larger group of each, they would tend to stick to their own species' group. this makes me think it would be better to have a larger group of each but I don't really know, so it's your choice. :)

However I'd really recommend you get a minimum of six black phantoms, of which two should be male. Most of the fun of keeping these fish is the interaction between them, the way they chase each other round and in particular the fact that males "display" to each other by sortof swimming at each other then turning aside at the last moment so they brush fins. Also I've noticed that mine seem to be forming male/female pairs :blink: though Ive never heard of this, so maybe mine are just weird.

Helium_Junkie said:
Wont they mate? I dont want lotsa babies :crazy:
What, the two males? ;)

Keeping male and female tetras together shouldn't be a problem. If you want them to breed, you need to set up a tank in whihc you replicate certain condition eg pH, hardness, temperature, to induce breeding. Also on the slight offchance that they laid eggs in a community tank the eggs and/or fry would probably be eaten by everyone else. Get a few of each sex, you won't regret it. :)

Most reactions

Back