neons and other color fish

neontetra05

Reaction score
well i have a 5 gal tank and cycling at the momment what should i get my LFS said 4 Cardinal tetras 2 solitary fish and if i need a bottom feeder i thought this was overstocking but she said nope it is just aboutperfect not too much not too little, i thought about 6 neon tetras and maybe a snail but this is all that i thought i also know that this about the max that can be in a ten gal and that tetras like to school in about 4+ correct.

neon

:S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S :S

The only thing I would get for a 5 gallon is a beautiful betta fish. 5 gallons is way too small for anything else. If you want a tropical tank,get a 20 gallon and you can get 6 neon tetras with a few cories and some other types of fish, being careful how many you put in there. In my 20 gallon, before I transferred then to the 25 gallon, I had 4 long finned danios 4 neon tetras, 3 black phantom tetras, 2 ottos, live plants and it looked beautiful and some more room for a few cories I wanted to buy but never ended up getting them. Now that they are in a larger tank I am going to buy 3 panda cories, they are so cute.

I agree. A betta would appreciate a nicely planted 5 gallon tank. It would be nice of you to save one from those tiny cups they keep them in at the LPS. :nod:

Your LFS worker was partly right. You could get 4 cardinals, 2 (very small) solitary fish, and one (small) bottom feeder for a 5 gallon tank.

None of your fish would be happy or healthy, however, and they would probably all live drastically shortened lifespans.

Tetras like large schools, 3 or 4 is usually the minimum. In order to school, however, they need room. A 5 gallon tank is simply not large enough for a group of several fish to have enough room to swim around in, I'm sorry to say.

The two solitary fish wouldn't be very solitary if they were put in a 5 gallon tank with 4 cardinals and a bottomfeeder. They'd probably get stressed out from all the activity, and that makes them more susceptible to diseases like white spot.

About the only bottomfeeder you could get in a 5 gallon tank would be an oto, but otos like to be in large groups, as well. They should, ideally, be in groups of 5 minimum, but 3 is often an accepted minimum.

If you're sticking with the 5 gallon, a betta would be a great fish. If you wanted more than one, you could get a tank separator or two and put one betta in each compartment you make. If you're interested, feel free to check out the Bettas section. You could also get some unique livestock, like aquatic frogs, shrimp, snails, and other livestock.

A 5 gallon tank is sort of a mixed blessing. It offers the affordability and small size, but you're left with your hands tied in terms of type and, especially, number of fish you can keep. You're also going to find the water gets polluted very fast, and you'll need to change it very often to keep it from becoming toxic. A great size for a starting aquarist is a 25 gallon, although they can be expensive.

Perhaps you should start out with a betta and some great aquatic plants (and amazon swordplant will thrive in most mid- to high-lighting conditions) in your tank, along with some shrimp if you're interested. Then, after seeing how you like that in a little while, you can try to move up into something that will give you more room to be creative.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

In my opinion a single betta is a great fish to put in a five gallon tank. Half of a five gallon space isn't enough for a betta in my opinion; two bettas in five gallons of water would be overstocking anyway.

I know when you start the hobby you think "OMG fishies!111" but you realize that less is more when you have a low-maitenance, attractive tank with healthy, active fish.

Maybe you'll finally start taking some advice on this, as I along with other members have told you numerous times that a 5 gallon doesn't leave you much room. Tetras really aren't doable in a 5.

Stick with the betta idea. It's much easier.

I agree with everyone else but a betta is not the only option. I'd personaly go for a heavily-planted shrimp tank but if you want fish, there are some nice small species you could try. For a start, endler's livebearers would work. However, I'd only get about 3-4 and all should be male. You could also get a couple of (male) guppies or (male) platies or (male) mosquito fish. There's also plenty of tiny killifish that would work but finding the right ones can be difficult and you'll need to do a LOT of research if you want them to live. Several tiny rasbora species exist that could work - for example, spotted rasboras only get to about an inch so a few of these (not more than about 4-5) would work. There's also some gouramies that you could keep - a single dwarf or a couple of female honeys. A betta of course is a great option - either a male or a female. Pygmy/dwarf cories could also work - about 4. A single dwarf puffer is also an option and there's also some tiny gobies that could work. However, research these well beforehand. Basicaly, a 5 gallon limmits the species you can keep but by no means is it limmited to just a betta. As long as you don't attempt a community (with a 5 gallon you'll need to stick with a tiny fish species tank) and as long as you put the fish's needs before your own wishes, you can have a very interesting little tank and still have healthy, happy fish. But please do take the advice of the people on this board, they are not saying things to upset or contradict you, they are saying things because they know what's best for the fish and want to help.

hey little and danny use ur eyes and read the other postings i did not get any other info just ppl sayin that that is to many fish and you need a bigger tank NO SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TYPE OF FISH

WHAT A PAIR OF RE'S

can you say "we tod it" now say this realy fast and you will find out who you are

yeh,sylvias right,some dwarf/pygmy cories will do just fine,also what about a afrian dwarf frog? they would work aswell :nod:

or you can get a big bunch of bumblebee gobies(the freshwater species) :nod:
HTH

DD

neontetra05 said:
hey little and danny use ur eyes and read the other postings i did not get any other info just ppl sayin that that is to many fish and you need a bigger tank NO SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TYPE OF FISH

WHAT A PAIR OF RE'S

can you say "we tod it" now say this realy fast and you will find out who you are
Actually, I told you several times on AIM that you did have some other options, but they were [once again] limited.
We [Danny and I] did read your other postings. All of them. I believe I commented on almost every one. And still had to tell you the same thing on AIM -- your options are limited. Though my earlier reply may have seemed a little off, it was in no manner intended to be taken in that way. I was simply trying to express that, no matter how many times the members tell you the same thing, it seems as though you continue to ignore their advice.

I was in no way trying to demand you get a bigger tank. In fact, I don't recall ever saying 'You have to get a bigger tank.' I may have suggested it, but never insisted. Like I told you before on AIM, I had only a 5 gallon for 4 months, and I did breed guppies in it [mostly for the sake of stocking my friends' tanks cos they were too cheap to buy their own fish]. This is what brought you to the idea of breeding guppies and using giant bins to keep them in. Once again, a helpful suggestion.

I also did suggest other types of fish. I don't remember what ones exactly, and AIM does not make a record of conversations, but I do recall suggesting perhaps a trio of platies [with a good filter, and if you had a plan for the fry], possibly ghost shrimp, and of course the ever-popular betta and ADF idea. I actually wanted to go with a betta and an ADF myself, but the problem with that is that I'm not allowed to have ADFs in university.

As for your "we tod it" comment, that was completely rude and uncalled for. You posted asking for help. I offered it. I had a few conversations with you about it, trying to help you work out a plan. What a wonderful way to repay a person for offering their help, by insulting them like that. There's no need to resort to such childish retorts. After all, I believe the word 'Friendly' is in the title of the forum. There's no need to act otherwise.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I felt I needed to respond after seeing your post.

Most reactions

Back