Neon Tetras

Jenni84

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Wasnt sure where to post this as its not really an emergency but.......

Will it make my neons ill if i leave the light off too long? I stayed away from home last night and so the light was off for just over 24 hours. When i got home tonight the neons were very pale and lethargic.

The light has been back on for nearly an hour now and they seem to be perking up a bit.

I think i will get a timer for future just in case.

Thanks

Jenni

neons do loose colour when not had light, but it won't do them any harm at all to have not had a tank light on.

thanks for the reassurance. their colour seems to be getting brighter again now, i was just a little worried!

Get the timer, and if you need to be away from the fish longer than a day, put down automatic dissolving fish food. I like to double up on these tablets too just to make sure the fish eat enough.

Get the timer, and if you need to be away from the fish longer than a day, put down automatic dissolving fish food. I like to double up on these tablets too just to make sure the fish eat enough.

Personally I leave them without food if it's just for a few days as it does them no harm at all. They can go up to two weeks without food. The last vacation blocks I put in never fully disolved. They're a waste of money really. Last time I went away was from Friday until Tuesday so they had no food Fri, Sat, Sun. or Monday and were fine. The tank was as clean and clear as anything but the fish were ravenous! :good:

I have only left them for 24 hours at most so the feeding isnt a problem really!

They are all doing well though and my water is finally perfect which means less worrying!! :)

I've accidentally left lights on overnight countless times, the fish get over it pretty quickly. Healthy adult fish can easily go for two weeks without eating, dissolving tabs or blocks have wiped out more vacationing fishkeeper's tanks than I can count.

Just so you all know, this happens with ALL tetras. They take time to adhere to the lighting once the tank light is put on. Also.... You can leave the light off all the time. It won't HURT them, per se.

Most reactions

Back