Neon Tetras Have Fin Rot

Yeah I noticed there was an importance being vigorous with shaking the bottle #2 before using. So I tested it again and it still came out as 0. No doubt about it. I'm a bit unsure what to do next and certainly still no wiser what to do with the fin rot other than continuing what I'm doing?

Have you removed your carbon filter (sorry if you have i could not see it mentioned)?

also my pleco has had fin rot since i got it (4 wks ago) and although i have not cleared it up i have drastically reduced the rot from where it was causing massive tears into the fin . to now where it is more like a light fray.
can you see any improvement at all?

I don't have a chemical filter, I have a Rena internal filter.

Nope no visual improvement in their fins/tails - one has developed a red spot now on the tip of it's tail over the last couple of days. Do you think it definitely is fin rot? Should I treat it with something else too?

Hi,

I also agree with the above poster that 0ppm for nitrates is very unusual. I was just wondering, when did you last do your water change?

It's just that I've noticed with the API nitrate test, when the values are off scale, the readings look lower than they should be. It's worth a check. And compare the colour with your tap water as well. :D

Hope you get down to the bottom of the problem!!

Another thing with the nitrate test is to bang the test bottles a couple of times.

I found another forum somewhere that said one of the chemical components settles at the bottom of the bottle over time. I was getting 0 readings, tried this method and found that I had a 20ppm reading.

Shaman

Another thing with the nitrate test is to bang the test bottles a couple of times.

I found another forum somewhere that said one of the chemical components settles at the bottom of the bottle over time. I was getting 0 readings, tried this method and found that I had a 20ppm reading.

Shaman
Yes, we've said this many times on TFF also. You need to whack bottle #2 against a hard surface sometimes in case the precipitate is stuck inside the bottom. Also, there are posts about how to read the expiration information. And we've also had people who keep getting zero and then belatedly figure out they weren't using both reagents or all the steps in the intstructions! We also sometimes recommend adding even a little more time to each shaking step. Hopefully none of these things are an issue in this case but there they all are.

~~waterdrop~~

Yeah, as mentioned earlier I have already done this - I don't think it was possible to shake it any more than I did. I was hitting it off my table, shaking it for minutes on end over and over again. I'll test levels again this week. I have a funny feeling it may have something to do with the medicine I've been using. I added some more in on Sunday after a water change but I won't use it for a couple of weeks to see how we go.

Most reactions

Back