🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF!

I would like to breed some neon tetras and I am wondering how I will go about doing this. I have 8 neon tetras (not sure what gender?) in my heavily planted 29g tank, along with an Albino BNP.

Is anyone fairly good with breeding? Do I need any specific plants? Any other requirements? Thanks in advance! :fish:

Tagged people: @Byron, @Colin_T

(P.S. Please don’t ask me what my GH is, because I have no clue. My water parameters are all in check and the neon tetras have been in the tank for over 4 weeks.)

you asked this last month. check out post #66 & 74 at the following link.

To sex neon tetras, look at the blue line. Males have a straight blue line. Females have a kink in the blue line about half way along it. Females are fatter than males.

prepare fry foods before breeding. see following link.

I know you said not to ask, but do you have the link to your cities water provider? I can look for you

You need to find out the GH. For the health of the fish aside from spawning attempts. If the water is on the hard side, depending what the level is, the calcium can prevent eggs from hatching. I believe it can also kill sperm so the eggs would not get fertilized.

make sure the water temperature is exactly at 72 degrees farhenheit and theres a lot of plants and make sure your water is not on the hard side too much calcium will kill the sperm and leave the eggs un fertilized ive successfully bred my neon tetras 4 times already

Ok....I think this is it? “Hardness: Louisville pure tap®, Louisville Water Company's tap water, is moderately hard, at 159 mg/L or 9.3 grains of calcium carbonate per gallon.”

I live very close to Louisville.

Ok, I’ll try to sex them now and see how many males and females I have.

Ok, I checked out your post in my earlier thread.

You said a 2ft tank, mine is around 30in? Which I guess, the bigger the better? I do have a reasonably good sized chunk of java moss.

You also said I have to remove all of the other fish, except a male and a female? Where am I supposed to put them?

Ok, I checked out your post in my earlier thread.

You said a 2ft tank, mine is around 30in? Which I guess, the bigger the better? I do have a reasonably good sized chunk of java moss.

You also said I have to remove all of the other fish, except a male and a female? Where am I supposed to put them?
In another cycled tank

You will need 2 tanks or more of you want to have multiple spawning pairs and fry tanks

In another cycled tank
I don’t have one that would work. I have 1 unheated 5g with my mean single ZD in it, 1 heated 10g with my betta (profile picture) in it, and 1 29g tank, as I mentioned above.

You may not be able to do it then :(

You will need 2 tanks or more of you want to have multiple spawning pairs and fry tanks
Yeesh, this is harder than I thought. I can already see a few things that won’t work...

1( I’m not buying another tank or a sponge filter.

2( No one has told me what my GH translates to yet.

and

3( I don’t want to collect 29 gallons of pure rain water.

Let's back up here a moment. Spawning a species is relatively simple, if that is all you want to achieve. If however you want fry from the spawn, that is a very different thing. You might be able to get neon tetra to spawn in their present tank, but ytou will almost never see fry because they will eat the eggs, or any other fish will eat the eggs, before they can even hatch. That is why others are recommending separate tanks, assuming you want fry.

Your GH is 159 ppm (ppm = mg/l) which equates to 8 dGH. That is moderately soft/moderately hard water. Most soft water fish will be fine in this, neons certainly will. However, I do not know if they will spawn, or if the eggs would hatch. I have had various characin species spawn over the years because I do now and then see a fry. Various tetras (never the Parachierodon species though), pencilfish, Corydoras, cyprinids, cichlids...but I let nature do its thing. Most of the eggs obviously get eaten. But I suspect one reason there is som much spawning activity is because I am providing the fish with exactly the water parameters they "expect," with zero GH and KH and a quite acidic pH around or below 5. [And I never add substances except for conditioner at water changes and minimum plant fertilizer.]

Neon tetra are raised in outdoor ponds in SE Asia, Florida (I think this is still the case), and the water is probably on the very soft side though I have no direct information. If you want certain success with spawning neons, here is the method SF provides:

You’ll need to set up a dedicated tank if you want to raise decent numbers of fry. This should be very dimly lit and contain clumps of fine-leaved plants such as java moss or spawning mops, to give the fish somewhere to deposit their eggs.​
Alternatively you could cover the base of the tank with some kind of mesh. This should be of a large enough grade so that the eggs can fall through it, but small enough so that the adults cannot reach them.​
The water should be soft and acidic in the range pH 5.5-6.5, gH 1-5, with a temperature of around 80-84°F.​
A small air-powered sponge filter bubbling away very gently is all that is needed in terms of filtration.​
It can be spawned in a group, with half a dozen specimens of each sex being a good number. Condition these with plenty of small live foods and spawning shouldn’t present too many problems.​
The adults can be removed once eggs are noticed, or in a very heavily planted tank left in situ and fry siphoned from the tank as they’re noticed.​
In terms of productivity, it’s best spawned in pairs. Under this technique the fish are conditioned in male and female groups in separate tanks, or via the use of a tank divider.​
When the females are noticeably full of eggs and the males are displaying their best colours, select the fattest female and best-coloured male and transfer them to the spawning tank in the evening.​
They should spawn the following morning. If no eggs have appeared after a couple of days remove them and try a different pair.​
In either situation the adults will eat the eggs given the chance and should be removed as soon as eggs are noticed. These will hatch in 24-36 hours, with the fry becoming free swimming a 3-4 days later.​
They should be fed on an infusoria–type food for the first few days, until they’re large enough to accept microworm or brine shrimp nauplii.​
The eggs and fry are light sensitive in the early stages of life and the tank should be kept in darkness if possible.​

I know SE Asia is soft, not sure about florida though

Most reactions

Back