Neon Tetra

Queen oF The Gravel

Reaction score
Hi, i am currently keeping 2 flying fox, 2 dalmation mollies and 3 zebra danio in a 60litre tank.

I am in the process of cycling a 90litre tank, which i intend on transfering the fish from the 60litre into

I have never kept tetra before and i cant see them been too difficult to keep but as i know nothing about them i would just like a little information, anything you can tell me really. (personality, aggresion, interation with other fish)

Thankyou for reading.

Hi, i am currently keeping 2 flying fox, 2 dalmation mollies and 3 zebra danio in a 60litre tank.

I am in the process of cycling a 90litre tank, which i intend on transfering the fish from the 60litre into

I have never kept tetra before and i cant see them been too difficult to keep but as i know nothing about them i would just like a little information, anything you can tell me really. (personality, aggresion, interation with other fish)

Thankyou for reading.

hiya,
i have neon tetra's they just mill about not arressive at all, i think alot of tetra's are the same, these ones are great in community tanks ok hope that helps

While a lot of tetras are in fact not aggressive and make wonderful community tank members, it is not too safe to generalize too far. They can vary quite a bit by species, with, for instance Serpae tetras being known fin nippers and quite aggressive. In fact lemons and some of the other ones of this nickle/quarter sized shape can approach behaviours like the Serpae.

Neon Tetras, however, are more or less completely non-aggressive and likely to be among the smallest fish in your tank. They are quite delicate and usually it is advised that the tank have "matured" at least 6 months since it was new. Tetras like neons live in shoals in the wild that sometimes approach a million fish all swimming together. When they are alone or in small numbers they get scared and think they are going to die, so to speak. So, it turns out that letting them school with a minimum number is extremely important to helping them relax. For neons, that number is probably 5 or 6 individuals minimum, but of course it keeps getting better, the bigger the school. The school likes significant plant cover and black substrate comforts them best as well as helping to show off their color. Dark backgrounds help in this too. They will generally school at mid-tank but will also spend significant time down pretty low in a tall tank and the school will explore around pretty much. Their striking color will draw eyes to the tank from a distance.

Often its good to get a couple extra when you buy them as one or more often will not make it through the transition, no matter how stable your tank. Neons are the natural food of Angelfish, unless the angels grew up with them, which can give the neons a better chance of survival.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back