Neon Tetra Rough Looki Fins

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know the bigger tank isn't a lot but the things that go with it ad up to a pretty good amount. I'm also not making much money right now or I would be able to just run out and get it all at one time. The biggest thing that is stopping me is having the space for them. I know the perfect sized spot, but I have a second tv sitting there at the moment and the stand it is on isn't sturdy enough for the tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3584+3954&pcatid=3954

Just thought I'd link you to some good sponge filters. I know you may not be able to do anything now but these are good options. I have a number nine(not in current use) and a number 2 that is in use in a 10 gallon. I also like the marineland brand precision heaters as well. I actually just had one start to go out on me(around 2 years old maybe?) And marineland actually replaced it for free! I was amazed. Lol.

Anyway, I hope you can get stuff sorted out soon. I'm afraid other than bigger and more frequent water changes there might not be much you can do. These fish are stressed in this small of a tank and stressed fish develop problems. Melafix may or may not help. I can't say it won't stress the fish more but its one of the less harsh treatments you can try. (I've tried it and pimafix and neither did anything for me. And it did seem to stress my tetras(different kind than yours) out a bit too.) I hope you do well with these guys. Good luck!

Thanks for all the information. I do hope to get them into a bigger tank one day, hopefully it can be soon but I just don't know.

I've looked it up some but first hand info should be better. What are the signs of a stressed fish?

It can be difficult to spot signs of stress in fish. Bear in mind that fish aren't 'domesticated' in the same way as a dog or cat, and many wild animals will not show any signs of stress or illness, as it can attract predators.

What stress does do is weaken the fish, including its immune system and slime coat, so that infections like fungus, fin rot and whitespot, which a healthy fish would be able to fight off, can take a hold.

One of the most vital things in fishkeeping is 'cycling'. Cycling a tank means growing a colony of good bacteria in the filter that eat the toxins from the fish's wastes. Until those bacteria grow, those toxins (ammonia and nitrite) build up in the water. In a small volume of water that can happen very quickly, and it's why you need to be doing large water changes, making sure the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

I'll be honest with you (please don't take it personally; like many people you've probably been given terrible 'advice' from your fish shop :( ); you're unlikely to be able to keep these fish alive if you don't move them. In an uncycled tank that small, the level of toxins, and the stresses on the fish, are going to be overwhelming.

If you can get them into a larger volume of water (and, like I said, even a plastic storage box will do; you can use your current heater and filter), keep the water clean with plenty of water changes and monitoring with test kits, add some live plants (to help absorb any excess ammonia while the filter cycles) you might be able to save them. In their current tank.. well, you're almost certainly going to lose them all, I'm afraid.

I'm just out of college and living with my parents so I'll have to discuss it with them. I don't think my dad wants to hear about it, which I think is because he is set in the way he kept fish in the past. I try not to take it personally but I tend to be kinda stubborn so I do a little by nature. I do get what you're saying though. I'm really afraid I'm gonna lose them so I'll see what I can do. I'll have to talk to my mom about it I guess. I think my dad would be pretty much ok if they died cause he wants me to get the fish he wants, like a goldfish or something. I know that would never work though and I really like the tropical fish. I'm rambling a little now, thanks for all the help. They'll probably want me to try to make it work as is but I'm going to see what I can do.

As far as looks go, the fish already look slightly better. I separated the one that was having a really rough time last night and he looked a lot better by the time I put him back in. I just put him in a small bowl so I was really surprised.

I understand your difficulties with your parents :/

Get your dad to have a look at this forum and our advice, if he will! I can tell you that I've been keeping fish for a very long time (I got my first fish in 1973 
blush.png
) and times change; new science and knowledge come into the hobby, and best practice gets better. Keeping fish 'the old way' is not the way we should be doing things now!

And a goldfish is not a suitable inhabitant for a 1.5g tank. As they grow quite large, even fancy goldfish (orandas, moors, fantails) need at least a 100l tank. The only suitable inhabitants for your little tank would be freshwater shrimps or small snails. Even a betta/Siamese fighter should have at least 3 gallons.

Most reactions

Back