Neon Tetra Losing Colour?!

sirichmond

Reaction score
Hello, we bought 5 Large Neon Tetra about 3/4 weeks ago and noticed last night that 2 of them really seem to be losing there colour? we thought it was possibly that they hadnt been very active however they ars the same today. all water readings are good so dont think it is due to that they are not struggling to swim or breathe. any body have any ideas we are very new to fish keeping! :unsure:

Hello, we bought 5 Large Neon Tetra about 3/4 weeks ago and noticed last night that 2 of them really seem to be losing there colour? we thought it was possibly that they hadnt been very active however they ars the same today. all water readings are good so dont think it is due to that they are not struggling to swim or breathe. any body have any ideas we are very new to fish keeping! :unsure:
These fish can sometimes be sensitive. I've seen recommendations that they be one of the later fish to be added. Years ago when I had a lot of them I found them to be one of the types that would mysteriously die. It may be weakness due to inbreeding or internal disease or it may be sensitivity to some water parameter we don't normally test for much, who knows?

I apologize if I've missed your other threads, but when you say your readings are good, does that mean that you fishless cycled to prepare your biofilter? How long has the tank been in operation? Both ammonia and nitrite stay at zero?

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for coming back to us waterdrop we are sure our tank has cycled unfortunately we were away for 8 days so did not take any readings but came back to an algae covered tank. Decided to get some fish and if tank readings changed perfoam a fish in cycle but readings have stayed a constant 0. Fish have been in for 3 weeks with a 20% water change each week. Ammonia and nitrite have been 0 and our readings are ph 7.5 nitrate 5 nitrite 0.1 ammonia 0.

Unfortunatley the 2 neon have died last night took them straight out so other fish didnt nibble and have put some treatment in there just to be safe. From doing some research last night on the internet they had classic symptoms of neon tetra disease, hopefully the other 3 will be OK they are looking fine at the moment.

many thanks simon.

Most reactions

Back