Neon tetra and betta got into fight, tetra is missing an eye!

FJrocks003

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to fish keeping so please offer any advice possible even if not related to this specifically. The title says most of it, I have a 10 gallon tank with a large (twice the size you see at the pet store) black halfmoon betta (male), 3 platinum guppies, and 4 neon tetras. It's heavily planted (live and fake) with lots hiding spots. I thought this would prevent fights but this is actually the second fight scene I got the tank, 9 months ago (the first it was just a guppie that wouldn't stop nipping at the betta's fins, we eventually relocated him). This time I'm not sure what happened but I woke up and on of the tetra's whole eye was missing (I'll attach pictures). It was acting normal surprisingly, still eating and schooling with the others. The betta isn't particularly aggressive so my guess to what happened was the betta was going after some food and te tetra got to it first and the betta just grabbed it instead. I have a 1 gallon tank and some aquarium salt from when I was treating the betta's fins, should I use that on the tetra is is there a different way to treat it? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_101716225.jpg
    IMG_20210529_101716225.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 109
Hi there! Oh boy, poor tetra! I am not sure how to treat it, but I once had a very similar setup, guppies, neon tetras, and a betta in a planted 10 gallon tank. I never had any fights, but I have since learned that

1. guppies have different water parameters needs than the betta and neon tetras. Guppies are hard water, bettas and neons are soft water.
2. Many people do not support keeping a betta with other fish. Bettas are solitary fish by nature, and it Is risky because of their temperament
3. A wholeeeeee lot of people feel that neons need a 24 inch footprint, rather than the 20 inches the 10 gallon offers.

I am sure other people will comment soon on the treatment for the tetras eye

Hi there! Oh boy, poor tetra! I am not sure how to treat it, but I once had a very similar setup, guppies, neon tetras, and a betta in a planted 10 gallon tank. I never had any fights, but I have since learned that

1. guppies have different water parameters needs than the betta and neon tetras. Guppies are hard water, bettas and neons are soft water.
2. Many people do not support keeping a betta with other fish. Bettas are solitary fish by nature, and it Is risky because of their temperament
3. A wholeeeeee lot of people feel that neons need a 24 inch footprint, rather than the 20 inches the 10 gallon offers.

I am sure other people will comment soon on the treatment for the tetras eye
Thanks for replying, I'll definitely do some research on what you mentioned. I think I'm going to keep the betta and tetras together. But I'll look into I better setup for the guppies. So glad I joined this site, it's nice to have real people to help rather than just care guides.

No need for any special treatment for the neon, just clean fresh water...stay vigilant on your WC's, and doing a few extra wouldn't hurt.

How long have these fish been together? Did you cycle the tank?

I'm afraid I'm one of those who don't support keeping bettas with other fish for exactly this reason, bettas are territorial and need their own space.

Keeo your water nice and clean by doing decent sized water changes every week... I'd probably do one every couple I'd days until the tetra has healed

FJrocks003, welcome to TFF.

First off, a Betta is not a community fish and should never be housed with other fish. You have now had two experiences proving this. Please separate the Betta from the tetras and guppies, it is frankly cruel not to.

The Betta is programmed to considering the space around him as "his" alone; in their habitat, Betta males live in isolation except to spawn. This inherent trait in his DNA is causing him severe stress in having other fish in his territory.

The other fish are often prone to nip fins of fish like Bettas, so that is another reason not to house them together. That little nip causes real stress to the poor Betta. Things will never get better until the fish die, either the Betta, or the tetras and guppies.

No need for any special treatment for the neon, just clean fresh water...stay vigilant on your WC's, and doing a few extra wouldn't hurt.

How long have these fish been together? Did you cycle the tank?
The fish have been together for the full 9 months of having the tank, it was cycled beforehand.

I'm afraid I'm one of those who don't support keeping bettas with other fish for exactly this reason, bettas are territorial and need their own space.

Keeo your water nice and clean by doing decent sized water changes every week... I'd probably do one every couple I'd days until the tetra has healed
Thanks for the reply, after looking at all these replies about the guppies and tetras being kept with the betta I'm looking for more options for housing my guppies but I think the tretras will stay since the have similar water parameters and with the guppies gone it should be less crowded. I'm already doing weekly 30% water changes on the main tank and I moved the tetra to a quarantine tank so I can do a better job monitoring and cleaning it.

FJrocks003, welcome to TFF.

First off, a Betta is not a community fish and should never be housed with other fish. You have now had two experiences proving this. Please separate the Betta from the tetras and guppies, it is frankly cruel not to.

The Betta is programmed to considering the space around him as "his" alone; in their habitat, Betta males live in isolation except to spawn. This inherent trait in his DNA is causing him severe stress in having other fish in his territory.

The other fish are often prone to nip fins of fish like Bettas, so that is another reason not to house them together. That little nip causes real stress to the poor Betta. Things will never get better until the fish die, either the Betta, or the tetras and guppies.
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, I'm looking at other housing options for the guppies but I plan on keeping the tetras and betta together. After doing some research (thanks everyone here for informing me of some mistakes!) I think that with less fish in the tank it will result in less fighting, I'm also thinking about upgrade to a 20 gallon to give the tetras more space. I understand that you have a lot more experience than me in this but I'm not sure I agree with everything your saying I think I can make it work once I fix everything else in the tank if its just the 4 tetras and one betta. Any advice on treatment for the tetra?

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, I'm looking at other housing options for the guppies but I plan on keeping the tetras and betta together. After doing some research (thanks everyone here for informing me of some mistakes!) I think that with less fish in the tank it will result in less fighting, I'm also thinking about upgrade to a 20 gallon to give the tetras more space. I understand that you have a lot more experience than me in this but I'm not sure I agree with everything your saying I think I can make it work once I fix everything else in the tank if its just the 4 tetras and one betta. Any advice on treatment for the tetra?

Many of our members come here for advice as they are new to the hobby, so I am going to take the time to explain things a bit more for you. This is not just an argument, it is hopefully a learning tool.

Having studied fish physiology, one thing must be remembered. The behaviours, expectations, traits, needs, etc. of a fish species is programmed into their DNA. None of us is going to change this. The fish is the way it is because it has evolved to be the way it is. Individual fish of a species, just like individual animals and even humans, can sometimes differ from the norm for the species, but with fish that cannot be relied upon just to try something that the majority knows will harm the fish. It is not fair to the fish.

The scientific facts concerning the species Betta splendens are as follows:

Betta splendens seems to live solitary in its natural habitat which is still and sluggish waters, including rice paddies, swamps, roadside ditches, streams and ponds. Such an environment is not conducive to fish that require oxygenated waters so one can expect few if any non-anabantid species to live in such habitats. During the dry season, most Bettas are able to bury themselves in the bottom of their dried up habitat. There, they can live in moist cavities until water once again fills the depression during a rainy period. The fish can survive even if thick, clay mud is all that is left of the water. They do not survive total drying out of the bottom (Vierke 1988). There are very few fish species, and none that are found in the same habitats, that can manage life in such conditions, which is further evidence that the B. splendens is most likely a solitary species.​
All anabantids are territorial; male bettas instinctively fight each other in defending their territory. Selective breeding over many years has produced fish with a heightened sense of territory defense, which explains the common name of Siamese Fighting Fish. Fish fights for money is a "sport," if you want to use the term for such animal cruelty. This means the Bettas we see in stores have an even greater propensity to literally kill each other given the chance. For a fish that instinctively lives alone, and believes it must defend its territory to survive--both traits that are programmed into the species' DNA--this aggressiveness is likely to extend to any fish that dares enter the Betta's territory, which in most cases will be the tank space. And forcing the fish to "live" under such conditions is frankly inhumane.​
Individual fish within a species do not always adhere to the "norm" for the species; this is true of all animals, including humans. But with fish, responsible aquarists should research the fish's behaviours, traits, and requirements, and then aim to provide accordingly. "Expectations" are as I said above programmed into the DNA, and we are not going to change them just because we may want to have a Betta in the tank with "x" fish species. Sometimes the Betta seems to co-operate with our experiment, but in many of these situations it may not last for long, eventually if not immediately. Fish that do succumb are likely being severely stressed, unseen to the aquarist until it is too late.​
If the Betta does not first attack the intruders, the intruders may go after the Betta. It is a two-way street, and in either situation it is the Betta that loses in the end. Severe stress causing increased aggression, or conversely severe withdrawal from being targeted by the other fish. And physical aggression is not the only concern; fish release pheromones and allomones, chemical communication signals that other fish read, and these can promote aggression that will in time weaken the fish to the point of death. There is no reason to risk the fish in one's attempt to prove scientific understanding wrong.​

Please understand we're not here to gang up on you and make you feel bad, it's in your best interest to provide and do the best you can for your fish ??‍♀️ would you keep a greyhound and a cat together? I mean you could but you shouldn't because the greyhound has a high prey drive, that's why they chase the 'rabbit'.

I would get the betta out immediately. You can buy a 5 gallon tank very inexpensively, and if you can't afford the whole setup you can add filtration, lights, etc. over time. It's an easy water change, so you really aren't adding much extra work.

Thanks for the reply, after looking at all these replies about the guppies and tetras being kept with the betta I'm looking for more options for housing my guppies but I think the tretras will stay since the have similar water parameters and with the guppies gone it should be less crowded. I'm already doing weekly 30% water changes on the main tank and I moved the tetra to a quarantine tank so I can do a better job monitoring and cleaning it.
You may find the fighting will actually increase after taking the guppies out, there will be more territory to fight over and guard. You've perhaps only had this one incident since you homed them all together because there was less territory to claim and therefore pointless in fighting

Most reactions

Back