Neils River Bed Build. ......big Update New Pics......

irvs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well the uncycleable tank is no more, it got stripped down, scrubbed and rebuilt. The upgrades i ordered from seapets.com came after only 6days (very impressed with service and prices) which let the build begin. I began by collecting various stones and sand from a mountain stream not far from me. i used this option as it was free and also frww from contamanates it being up the mountain.
The upgrades i ordered were tetratec substrate, tetratec ex600 and a heater clamp. You'll notice a tetratec theme going on here as the tank and heater are also tetratec :blush:
let the pics do the talking;

How the tank looked to begin with, it included java ferns, amazone sword and some grassyplants(messy :angry: ). Also various pices of bogwood, a red plastic pland and plastic hollow log.
tank001.jpg

Tank stripped and washed, i then added the tetratec substrate then the washed river sand.
DSC01083.jpg

I drilled holes in the wood enabling me to "plant" the java ferns into/on the wood.
DSC01079.jpg

DSC01078.jpg

((messy)) :p
DSC01080.jpg

And the wood now fermly screwed together.
DSC01077.jpg

I then began the process of "splitting" the java ferns and replanting them into the newly drilled holes in the wood. Finished look.
DSC01081.jpg

At this stage i just had to have a cold beer and packet of cheese & onion crisps B-) while i washed out and set up the tetratec ex600 filter. i must say its a well made unit and very easy to work with. In the pic you can clearly see the suction pipe and the spraybar now fitted.
DSC01085.jpg

And the ex600 filter (larger than i thought) i was in two minds getting the ex600 over the ex400, with my tank being only 60l did i really need the extra filtration fo the 600? Well i thought so and its best to over do than under do.
DSC01092.jpg

The below images show the now placed wood with java ferns, then the amazone sword which was split into two and finally the placement of some rounded stones of various sizes, textures and colours.
DSC01086.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01089.jpg

Now the slow process of adding water. I saved 15l of water from the origional tank and added the other 45l of deceloranated water.
DSC01091.jpg

Sadly i did disturbe a bit of the sand and clouded the water.
DSC01093.jpg

Well thats it so far, the fish were added and 48hs later everything is running "swimmingly" :rolleyes:. The water has cleared up a gud bit but will need a 25% water change to make better and clear away any flooting sand particles. Next on the list is some java moss to work its way on the stones and a corner of the sand and then a simple co2 setup. Ialso will be adding some kind of bushy plant to thicken out the background and provide shelter for the tetras.In a day or two when the water has cleared up more ill add a few more pics and closeups.

Thanks to all for looking neil.

looks good so far , i will be following this with interest i want the same sort of look when i get myself a tank

please keep us updated :good:

very nice, love what you did with the wood..what have u done to eliminate rust on the screws, or were they plastic ? ( cant see) huge fan of tetratec filter so thumbs up on that score :)

keep the pics coming :)

Ahh, i have that tank, its great. Whats inside isn't though..
mine or urs?
well the water has cleared up quite a bit today. the pepper cories love the sand, soo much more active digging around. planning on a water change tomorrow to help out then good pics.
thanks for looking neil.

i have to say i actually liked the look of the tank before...

Ahh, i have that tank, its great. Whats inside isn't though..
mine or urs?
well the water has cleared up quite a bit today. the pepper cories love the sand, soo much more active digging around. planning on a water change tomorrow to help out then good pics.
thanks for looking neil.

Mine lol, really needs a change.

Thanks all for the comments. Got new pics tonight looks soo much better now the waters cleared, plus franko my betta has claimed a corner under a few over hanging leaves and now makes his bubble nest there. Well tries to as hes not really good at them. I'll get the new pics up in a day or two.
thanks neil. :good:

Well 2 months on and the tank is thriving and fully cycled at last (must of been something funny with the original filter).
Well as the pics will show the java fern has really took off well and filled out alot also the mystreous broad leaved plant has grown big and strong also the girlfrinends plastic red pland has center stage :rolleyes: Making the tank look quit natural if i dont say so myself, all i gotta grow now is some moss on the 2 rock piles. and im done plant wise i think.

my original betta sadly died of ich, now replaced by a new younger boy and also lost a tetra neon. Tht fish did VERY well for a 4month cycle im impressed ive any fish left :blush: . thanks for looking all comments welcome.
neil.

2 of how it looked;
2009_0915neil10009.jpg

2009_0915neil10012.jpg

And now its all filled out;
2009_0915neil10182.jpg

2009_0915neil10210.jpg

2 of my peppered corys hiding;
2009_0915neil10162.jpg

My new betta castro and the important flaring pic B-) ;
2009_0915neil10197.jpg

2009_0915neil10195.jpg

thanks again for showing intrest in what ive done.

Thats a great tranformation, and just a note, I think that central red plant looks stunning in your scape. Perhaps it doesn't look as natural in real life, but in a still photograph it looks fab.

I also love your betta, looks like a bit of a spade tail...nice. :)

Most reactions

Back