Reaction score
Just established my SW tank a week ago.

Chem Readings:

Ammo: 1.0
Nitrate: 10
NitrIte: 1
pH: 8.1
SG: 1.023

I have a few hermits and an emerald crab in there.

Should I do a Water Change? or let the tank go its course?

I also have to add more LR...Should I remove everyone in the tank so I can aquascape?

Thanks again

--Jim C.

I would, that ammonia is a bit high, it wont effect the cycle much, I did it with mine at the end of the first week. As for aquascaping, just be carefull not to squish any or pin them under rock, if you can see them put a little bit of rock in a corner and put them near it so they have some cover and will kepp out of your way. :)

When your cycling your tank the best thing is to let it go it's course, you shouldn't put anything like ammoinia buffers in the tank either, that can mess up the cycle or prolong it, because if the balance of organisms and bacteria are not right the dissappearing ammonia can stunt the growth of certain important bio filters you need for the ammonia. Crabs are usually pretty hardy and your hermits should be fine, but the emerald crab might die, so if you can catch it I suggest selling it back to your lfs, because you can always buy one once your tank is ready for one. Or you can ask them to hold it for you, But trying to do water changes this early just for a crab isn't really worth it plus water changes sometimes can also prolong the cycle if it is too early, I'm not sure when you started. You should just start aquascaping like you planned to do, and if you decide to leave your tank do it's thing, then the best thing for the little guy would be to have someone hold him or sell him back. :))) good luck, I hope all goes well..

Wait did the emerald crab come with the tanks live rock or did you put it in there??, because an emerals crab should not be going into a new tank especially when it still has signs of nitrites and ammonia, I hope you don't rush into things. j/w

I did water changes on mine twice in the first week as I had alot of hitchikers I wanted to survive and it worked a treat. Cycle ony took 7 days to get no ammonia and everything survived and is doing great. I did alot of reasearch on that before I did it :) Yes the rule is usually not to touch it, but if you are prepared to wait an extra few days to save a few lives then go for it. It will in no way harm the tank and the critters will survive too.. WIN WIN all for just waiting a few extra days to put other stuff in :)

Defo water change if stock is in there.

Also, most cheimical products for ammonia just affect the ammonia-ammonium balance and convert ammonia into a less toxic form (but on which can still be used by filter bacteria) so I wouldn't sweat using them all too much.

Idk I heard differently, but i guess everyone has different information, my lfs told me firmly to not use buffers, because they are dangerous sometimes, but i guess i shouldnt be like a puppy dog and just repeat the info back unless im sure :) I'm only good with urchin info :)

Idk I heard differently, but i guess everyone has different information, my lfs told me firmly to not use buffers, because they are dangerous sometimes, but i guess i shouldnt be like a puppy dog and just repeat the info back unless im sure :) I'm only good with urchin info :)

Personaly I wouldnt use a buffer/chemical remover either, when you get far better results with water changes. Its all straight in my head, you should be talking something out, not adding more rubbish in. They have their use in emergeny situations when you havnt got time to spend changing water to try and get stats right and the health of he livestock is most important.
I try to to never just go on one persons opinion, Always read up from as many different sources as possible and let your common sense do the rest for your own personal situation :)

Personaly I wouldnt use a buffer/chemical remover either, when you get far better results with water changes. Its all straight in my head, you should be talking something out, not adding more rubbish in.

Certain buffers actually can be very useful, though ill only ever use 2 part solution. If you had a nano loaded with SPS you would have a hard job keeping up with Calcium and Alk demands simply by weekly water changes, so dosing 2 part is the safest way to do it. Not all buffers add "rubbish" into the system. When i need to buffer i use Kent 2 part nano buffer.

Andy

Most reactions

Back