Need Some Advice Asap, Few Issues Suddenly Arose In My Tank :(

Vacation time is a very common time for an established tank to crash. People are naturally afraid to just let them be and let someone else take charge. I've had people check on my tanks but usually tell them not to do anything other than make sure the fish are alive and swimming around and maybe a light feeding. Two weeks or even a month of neglect is not necessarily a bad thing as far as environmental stability and general fish health is concerned. The feeding needs/aggression/general health of your fish may affect this.

I've rescued a lot of neglected tanks, directly and indirectly, to know that when mother nature is left to her tendencies, life prevails. It's the well intentioned meddling that screws things up.

My apologies to the OP for straying from the topic but I agree, you created the perfect storm of failure by wanting to do right for your charges.

Byron said:
I agree with this, though I think the biological system will become fairly stable in somewhat less time than you suggest.

We are not comparing apples to apples. Fairly stable, IMHO, is far from well established. I've seen saltwater, fully enclosed, micro-environments that took years to establish and require little to no maintenance. I've also seen new, well planted, freshwater tanks that looked like they were years old, but required a lot of maintenance or they would crash because they were not established. 

At the time I posted my numbers were .50 ppm for ammonia and .25 ppm for nitrite and 20ppm for Nitrate. And yes live plants are present although they tend to constantly die (and then I replace) How does this make a difference if I may ask? Just curious.

Live plants need nitrogen, and most aquatic species prefer it in the form ammonia/ammonium (not nitrate as one still reads).  Plants will take up ammonia/ammonium faster than the nitrifying bacteria, which is why a good supply of fast-growing plants can "silent cycle" new tanks.  So in a case where you might somehow remove most of the nitrifying bacteria [not saying you did, just if you did] the plants would still remove the ammonia/ammonium.  Now, here this wasn't adequate if the ammonia reads above zero.  But then I do not know what plants, or how many, or how thriving they are.  Plants like slow-growing Java Fern or Java Moss for example willobviosly not be removing that much ammonia, bjut thriving stem plants and especially floating plants do.

Now that we have numbers, it would seem to me that your over-cleaning may have contributed.  Adding new frogs would likely impact the existing fish and frogs, adding stress from them, as well as the new frogs changing environments.  The food block may have contributed another factor.  When all factors are added, the system shows weaknesses.

As for the frogs that died (well disappeared since I found next to nothing of them) Is it possible that since the tank had been going for so long 5 years with the same occupants. That they just weren't accepted by the tiger barbs, are tiger barbs even smart like that? I don't have a ton of snails in the tank I find it hard to believe they ate up every bit of the perished frogs in the time my parents came and started checking up on the tank. Both of the frogs were chunky healthy frogs.

I am only suggesting possible causes, things that occur to me from your information.  I don't know much about aquatic frogs, but they can carry disease and may have.  I recall reading years ago that when an amphibian tank is established, new amphibians should never be added as there is a serious risk of disease.  I tend to think this is significant, considering the nature of amphibians.  They may have rapidly died, and the other frogs and fish and snails would not hesitate to eat them.

I have read that frogs and fish should not be combined.  Again, I know little about these aquatic frogs, or which you may have.  There is some truth in fish being kept together in a less than preferred environment (tank size, species, etc) sort of growing up together and things working out better than one might expect.  But down the road, add anything and it is throwing a wrench into the works.

Byron.

Byron said:
I have read that frogs and fish should not be combined.  Again, I know little about these aquatic frogs, or which you may have.  There is some truth in fish being kept together in a less than preferred environment (tank size, species, etc) sort of growing up together and things working out better than one might expect.  But down the road, add anything and it is throwing a wrench into the works.

Yes this is true. And its always in the back of my mind. I have had frogs for quite some time and knew when I got them had them in a small desk tank. I had this tank going with just corydora's at first. Then when I put in the frogs I as well added the rest all were small...and the frogs would do there frog thing and lunge at the tigers and other barbs. And since all barbs will occasionally come up to the frogs curiously and then lose interest or a frog will do its blind little lunge and scare it away. But for a large part the barbs will ignore the frogs completely. And so for years I just never added anything else cause I didn't want to disturb the balance. Oh well..

Second day into this post seems the barbs have calmed down a bit, and I even seen a few corydora eggs that are new (they always get frisky after water changes and I've done a few now) so they seem happy. Still not sure if I should add a few more tigers since there's only 4 now and I've read they should have at least 7-8. So they can chase each other. They do school with the rasbora's and other barbs so maybe I should just leave it alone and see if they get aggressive again before jumping the gun and adding more tigers? As well I need to leave water a while longer before I will feel comfortable getting anything cause I hate seeing spikes like that. Want to see it stable for awhile before doing anything.

I still wouldnt add anymore fish for a few weeks yet, let everything settle down first and get a couple more water changes under your belt just to ensure that everyone and everything is running smoothly.
Anyway, nice to see that this topic has raised a couple of discussions! :)

Agree with waiting.  Tests in post #20 look fine, that (to my eyes and considering a photo) shows ammonia and nitrite zero.

Fish subjected to ammonia, nitrite and high nitrate (any one or more of these) will likely have internal problems we can't see, and long-term issues may result.  Fish usually do not just "recover" from such things.  As I explained earlier, they are weakened and this can lead to other issues down the road.

To your question of numbers for the Tiger Barbs (post #19), this is a bit difficult to answer.  I would say that after things have settled, depending what happens, increasing this species would normally be advisable.  You have a 55g, so you could easily have 10-12 TB which would be best.  However, I cannot predict what the present four may do, either health-wise or temperament, considering what has occurred.  Another thing to remember, is that this species is naturally feisty, and prone to fin nip any slower fish, so sedate fish (gourami and cichlids for example) are not possible tankmates, and there are other slower fish too.  Add to this the proven fact that fish under stress frequently react by increased aggression.  Depending upon your future plans for this tank, this may be a species not to keep (or add to).

Byron.

Most reactions

Back