Need Opionions On Breeding Trap And Tank Size For Swordtails

devnet

Reaction score
I have a pregnant swordtail, and I would like to save as many fry as possible when she gives birth as I already have quite a few buyers lined up. I know most of you don't like breeding traps because of the stress they can cause to the mother fish. I don't want to do anything to put her at risk but I do want to save the fry. I found a large breeding trap labeled for swordtails. The dimentions are 10"x7"x6". Do you think this would be large enough to avoid stressing the mother when the time comes? If not I do have a 10 gallon fry tank with some Java moss that I could use as a birthing tank, I just feel like I could save more fry with a trap.

Also I have a friend that would like to purchase 1 male swordtail from me in the future, and she was wondering if she could put it in a bookshelf tank, or if she would need to buy a bigger tank. My first feeling was that 6.6 gallons is waayyy too small for a swordtail, but this is a 2 foot long tank, the same length as a 20 gallon... So does the 2 feet of swimming room make up for it only being 6 gallons? I'm just not sure how I feel about this...

Opinions please? Thanks!

A breeding trap is not reccommended as it can stress her very badly. a 10g tank is actually perfect for a birthing tank. Provided lots of java moss, slate rocks, and other areas like that for hiding places and you will save quite a few

I have livebearers in a 40g community with hiding places and what not. I ALWAYS have surviving fry without intervening.

If your tank has is well planted or has plenty of other hiding places, then a lot of fry will survive without subjecting the mother to the stress of a trap

So it seems everyone agrees that even a very large trap (10"x7"x6") would be too stressful for the mother.

What about my second question? Thank you.

It is too small. I think. A full grown male swordtail can get up to 3 inches. Swordtails like to venture in all areas of the tank. A male sword isnt even suitable for a 10g tank in my opinion.

ok, Thank you. That's what I was thinking too. Thank you to everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it. If anyone else has opinions I would love to hear them.

Welcome to the forum devnet.
A 2 foot long tank should be fine for a single swordtail, even if it has a small volume. As a way of doing a breeding trap. you might look to divide a tank using a plastic netting material like you would find in a crafts store. You can leave as much space as you want on each side of the divider. A floating plant also helps a lot with swordtails.

Thank you! Is there a particular floating plant you recommend? Preferably something low maintenance? So far I've had luck with Java fern, java moss, water sprite, water wisteria, and anubias. I've tried a few other plants, but either they die within a few days, or my fish eat them. I haven't tried any floating plants yet so if you can recommend some hardy ones that would be great!

my swordtail has jumped twice out of the breeding traps so what i did is bought a divider and used about 25% of my 30 gal tank to use for the fry and made it fry friendly, just put her in there when i thought she gonna have um and put her back in the other side of the tank after. i want to say im almost sure all them survive. to me it seems they grow faster and i dont have to worry about the hassle of putting them in the big tank when its time just remove the divider. :blush: it a option

I had my fry in a breeding net for a few days the first time i saved fry. Had them there while I prepped my fry tank. I had guppies jumping INTO the net

Some useful floating plants for breeding cover are water lettuce and duckweed. Warning: many people find duckweed objectionable because it grows too easily.

Most reactions

Back