Need new filter

Moe

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 20G heavily planted tank. Currently I am using a Whisper 40 power filter and it is not working properly. I went out and bought a penguin bio wheel filter today and it was so loud you would have thought there was a brook running through the house, drove me mad. I looked at the aqua clear filters but there is no filter pad thing. What happens to all the dirt and stuff that gets into the filter? Doesn't it just clog the sponge? In a chat last night Semper recommended the HOT magnum canister filter but as I read the info it said for everyday mechanical / chemical filtration. Semper - is there biological component that I missed? I'd like to know which filter you all like.

Moe said:
I have a 20G heavily planted tank. Currently I am using a Whisper 40 power filter and it is not working properly. I went out and bought a penguin bio wheel filter today and it was so loud you would have thought there was a brook running through the house, drove me mad. I looked at the aqua clear filters but there is no filter pad thing. What happens to all the dirt and stuff that gets into the filter? Doesn't it just clog the sponge? In a chat last night Semper recommended the HOT magnum canister filter but as I read the info it said for everyday mechanical / chemical filtration. Semper - is there biological component that I missed? I'd like to know which filter you all like.
The only filters I have experience with are Whispers. I have one in my five gallon tank and one in my 10 gallon tank. Both have worked just fine for me and I would recommend them. However, if you're having trouble with yours, I'd imagine you don't want another of the same brand, eh? :p I had a UGF in my one gallon tank for awhile, but took it out. Didn't like it. It did keep the water clear, but all the dirt just got pulled to the bottom of the tank, then sat there :/

Good luck

Pamela
aka Lizard

Already tried the penguin biowheel it was way too loud. Anyone use a canister? are they better?

If you think the penguin is loud you definitely need to stay away from the Tetratec line. I have a tank with a Penguin Bio-Mini (which I find to be very quiet) and a Tetratec PF300 which is very loud.

-Curtiss

I use a fluval 104 on my 25 gal tank and it works wonders, I can hardly hear it, and it is very easy to use, the thing has a valve that shuts off the flow when i disconnect it from the tank to bring it over to the sink to clean it. It also comes apart very easily, And it has lasted me for over 2 years now without a problem. B)

I have penquin bio-wheels on both my 10 gal tanks. I did over buy on these filters as I plan to go to larger tanks later. The filter mechanical action is very quiet but yes the sound of the water running is very noticable. However I am a country girl and the sound of the water is rather pleasant to me. But keep in mind that neither of these tanks are in the living room where my TV is. The sound of the air pumps bothered me way more than the sound of the filters.
Can anyone tell me who makes the quietest pumps? I am in the souther USA.

I really like Ehiems not cheap but less hassle in the long run, or fluval in tank filters work very well IMO.

David :fish:

Moe said:
I looked at the aqua clear filters but there is no filter pad thing. What happens to all the dirt and stuff that gets into the filter? Doesn't it just clog the sponge?
The Aquaclear is the best hang on filter IMO. The sponge filters the dirt. Just squeeze the sponge out in tank water once every couple of weeks and your good to go. Those Penguin cartridges clog quickly and you need to continuosly buy new ones. An Aquaclear with 2 sponges int he media chamber is the best filtration for the money. Just keep your water level at the top and it's silent.

I originally had just a fluval 3plus on my 20odd gallon tank, but since adding a eheim external the water is much much clearer, and I can't hear it running either. :D

I have had experiance with biowheels and have noticed that your water leveal is the main factor on how much noise the filter makes. If you rase the water as high as you can you will eliminate most of your noise. But Eheim's are silet and they are the best.

I run an aquaclear 300 in my turtle tank with the sponge and then just filter floss on top. No charcoal or the amrid stuff (thanks to the advise of people on here) and my water has never been cleaner. Right now in my 20gal fish tank im running an AQ 200 and it is doing pretty well. I'd like a bit more flow so I may step it up to the 300, or another 200 time and money will tell.

Most reactions

Back