Need Input On Brackish Tanks

sinister_nation

Reaction score
planning on setting up a brackish tank, I use to own FW and SW tanks but never BW tank.

could a protien skimmer be used in a brackish tank. My sump is set up to use one?

Also was wondering if chaeto can survive in BW, my sump has a refugium. If not then what algae can survive in BW.

How much salt is need per gallon to make a SG level of 1.05 - 1.10

are their any sand sifter for BW? if so what?

Would x2 T5 HE or HO be efficient for lighting this tank.

I know I have more questions, and when they come to me, I'll ask in this thread.

All I can tell you is that protein skimmers aren't useful unless you are going a very-high end brackish, nearly seawater. At 1.005-1.100, it would be useless. As for how much salt, it depends on the temp you are going for. I don't know of anything that aggressively turns over the sand, but "freshwater flounders" and many types of goby will dig in it. The lights are probably overkill, as there aren't many plants you can keep in brackish water, and most of the ones that do aren't very care intensive.

could a protien skimmer be used in a brackish tank. My sump is set up to use one?
Yes, but the water needs to be fairly saline if you're going to get enough stable foam. SG 1.010 at 25 degrees C seems to be the minimum for worthwhile usage.

Also was wondering if chaeto can survive in BW, my sump has a refugium. If not then what algae can survive in BW.
Most Caulerpa will not tolerate slightly below normal seawater. Even the invasive form of Caulerpa taxifolia will die if maintained at 20 ppt or less, around SG 1.014 at 25 degrees C. On the other hand there are numerous Enteromorpha species native to brackish water habitats, so if you can collect algae from an estuary, there's a good chance such species will survive in a sump. With that said, you will probably find mangrove plants more useful at mid to high salinities, and plain vanilla aquarium plants at low salinities, some of which actually come from brackish water habitats in the wild and therefore make good biotope choices as well. See my FAQ for some ideas.

How much salt is need per gallon to make a SG level of 1.05 - 1.10
I assume you mean SG 1.005 to 1.010! The answer depends on the temperature of the aquarium. Assuming 25 C, then we're looking at 9 to 15.5 grammes marine salt mix per litre. See my Brack Calc application for more.

are their any sand sifter for BW? if so what?
Gobies and flounders are the classic examples of sand-sifting fish. Violet gobies for example will shift massive amounts of sand because that's the way they feed. Although there are lots of invertebrates from brackish water habitats, relatively few are traded. Perhaps the most fun is the mangrove horseshoe crab Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda. Some of the Clibanarius hermits sold as reef tank "clean-up crew" are brackish water animals as well; see my FAQ for details.

Would x2 T5 HE or HO be efficient for lighting this tank.
Depends on what you're trying to grow. Some plants like mangroves will need intense lighting to do well, similar to that required by reef tanks. Other plants are much less demanding.

Cheers, Neale

Most reactions

Back