Need Id On Some Fish, Please

Glitzy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got a rather frustrating call yesterday, acquaintance who I've been trying to help with his 2 foot tank but failed (think vast overstocking, inappropriate stocking, no water changes and using stress zyme like water) has given up. "They keep dying" *facepalm*

So, unless I took them this morning they'd have been flushed alive.

I can ID and recognise the tiger barbs, Bala sharks, glow light tetras, bristle nose plec and albino and copper Corey's but there are two shrimps and two loach like fish I'm not sure on. All are currently in my quarantine tank, and once I'm sure they haven't got any long term health issues I'll rehome.

Can anyone help with the shrimp and loachy thing please? Apologies about image quality they're a bit stressed and my iPad doesn't have the best camera.

The shrimp

The loach

The loach

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118
Hard to see - not enough of th loach to be able to tell but the shrimp looks like an Amano shrimp. You can tell the sex  - females have elongate spots, more a broken line than individual spots really, while males have round spots running along their bodies.

Shrimp will need very good water quality to survive.

Will try to get a better shot of the loach with a different camera. Thanks for the help on the shrimp. I have no idea how they've survived thus far then!

They haven't been predated by the tiger barbs they are with, but I have a shoal of 12, would it be safe to put them in my tank if they survive quarantine?

I have the 12 tigers and green tigers, 7 harlequin rasbora, 7 pepper Corey's and a plec in a 200 litre...

I actually think that is a bamboo shrimp. Does it have "fans" where his "claws" should be?
Also that looks like a yoyo loach.

bamboo-shrimp-pack-of-2--2154-p.jpg

Thank you very much, definitely bamboo shrimp and yoyo loach :)

Would the yo yo loach be ok in my setup detailed above? I'd make them upto a shoal of 5 if they survive...

yes in a shoal of 5 they should be ok however loach are semi aggressive fish and may harm the corys and shrimp the other fish should be ok.
you can avoid the loach harming the corys. If the corys are large and there is alot of hiding spots for both fish. i think you should put the shrimp in another tank.

I see that the bamboo shrimp is on the ground. Is he pressing his fans to the substrate and then putting them in his mouth? This means that he isn't getting enough nutrients the "right way". Bamboo shrimp like to be in a place with a current to catch things in the water. One thing that you can do to help is soak some algae wafers in water until it falls apart, then use a turkey baster to put some of the particles from the wafer into the fans. 
If you have a good enough filter current and something for him to climb up on to get to the current, that would be ideal. 

Ok. Can't move yet as only have one quarantine and I'm not kidding you the water is yellowy brown.

The shrimp can go in my 26 litre as long as they'll be ok with Cherry Shrimp and Orange Shrimp?

That's the substrate from the tank they were in - only a few stones - otherwise quarantine tank is bare.
Should I just risk it and get the shrimp in my tank? Really am concerned about disease...

I'm pretty sure that most shrimp are okay together. As long as they don't have claws and the water requirements is met for all of them.

My existing shrimp are happy, parameters are spot on. Just didn't want them eaten!

From what I can see one is an amano and the other a bamboo?
They were purchased very small three months ago - could be juvenile?

Noahsfish said:
Too small for a bamboo shrimp.
Are you saying that the tank is too small? 
Because I'm fairly certain that it is a bamboo shrimp.

Most reactions

Back