Need Help ?

Omen

Reaction score
Whats up people, need a little help here. I have a 75 gl tank and im thinking of making a sump. i have a few pic for you to look at , tell me what you think. Its 10" h 10" w 48" L which im thinking of cutting in half.

Attachments

• IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 48
What i did tell me what you think? Also tell me what your thoughts are on partitioning?
its about 41" long thats the most i could fit under my stand

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 48
Well if its acrylic you can look into cutting it in half. Do you have access to a router and the skill to use it? Remember, when cutting acrylic, all edges need to be really smooth if you want to solvent weld to them. Dont use silicone on it, silicone doesn't stick very well to acrylic except for dividers where strength isn't really necessary. You want to be using a methyl chloride based solvent. We use IPS Weld On products here in the states, dunno whats available on the other side of the pond

those pictures are it already cut in half and reassembled. Possibly just put a new end on one side? I'll have to ask him. He did use silicon though(something the company he works for uses. The first applications it suggested use for was aquariums), so that could pose a problem huh?...

Guess a thourough water test is on store, or a re-do :D

btw, we're on the same side of the pond :)

Edit:

Assuming we get past the silicon/epoxy issue, he needs idea/blueprint/suggestions for sump partitioning.

Hah, cool, same side of the pond indeed :). WEll, If it were my sump, I'd partition it So that water enters into a compartment on one side just big enough to house the skimmer. Then it will overflow over a single bottom fitting wall into a refugium which will dominate most of the sump space. The refugium would be filled with LR, and lots of macroalgaeI'd stick my heater in there as well to keep it out of the display tank. Lastly, I'd have a setup for water to travel through optional carbon and phosphate remover (if I feel so inclined). Then finally a couple of bubble walls before the third compartment housing the return pump. Ideally through the use of the bubble and dividing walls the operational volume of the sump should be roughtly 75% to the top. The extra space will cover when the power goes out and there is some backflow.

Thats really just a rough guideline, but hopefully should give you some ideas :)

thats not a problem taking it apart and welding it together. all so i have had my tank running with a regular filter
and have been getting brown elgae in my tank. should i stat totaly over ?? i have abpout 70 lbs of live rock?

Most reactions

Back