Need Help With Pregnant Black Molly

Applerust

Reaction score
I bought a Black Molly today and it's pregnant. I have been reading different material on this subject and as usual I am getting mixed advice on the topic. I have a plastic breeding trap but it already has 5 Spotted Molly babies in it which I had to save from the main tank. I am afraid they may swim up through the crack and get eaten by the Black female Molly if I put her in the breeding trap to drop her babies..

When do I know that she is about to have the babies?

How should I go about containment for the pregnant Molly?

When will it be safe to let the 5 Spotted Molly babies out of the breeding trap.

If anyone has any info for me on all this then please share. :)

EDIT: The 2 Spotted Mollies are chasing the pregnant Black Molly and nipping at her belly. I assume they are nipping where the babies will exit her body. Any reason for this?

IMO, I would get a secong breeder trap. The babies can be released into the tank when they are bigger than your biggest fishes mouth. I don't know the answer as to when she will have her babies as I am more familiar with guppies (the females will hide, not eat, and avoid the males when they are ready) As for why the specleds are chasing and nipping I'm not sure.

IMO, I would get a secong breeder trap. The babies can be released into the tank when they are bigger than your biggest fishes mouth. I don't know the answer as to when she will have her babies as I am more familiar with guppies (the females will hide, not eat, and avoid the males when they are ready) As for why the specleds are chasing and nipping I'm not sure.

Ok,

I read some where that Mollies are bred almost exactly like Guppies. I wonder if they have the same mannerisms as well.. I did get a second breeding trap from Walmart. It isn't all that great but it will work for now I suppose. Thanks for the input :)

Most reactions

Back