Need help with fish eggs

For corydoras, a separate solid container is best with an airstone.

A fine layer of sand from the parent tank is also beneficial as it increases their survival rate.

Mesh type breeder boxes don't tend to work great with most corydoras because the fry can be sucked through the mesh by hungry adult fish.

So for maximum chances, a solid container clipped to the side of the parent tank with some sand, an airstone, and some leaf litter is often all you'll need to hatch them.

Once they hatch, change out the water with the parent tank water every day. Once they're bigger, you can then move them to a different breeder box type setup, but for the first week or two, you want a small setup.

It's also easier for them to find food in a smaller spot than a larger setup and easier for them to swim to the surface for air when they're Itty bitty.

If they're osteogaster aenea, they can take freshly hatched baby brine shrimp after the 2nd or 3rd day after hatching (they don't need food until they absorb their yolk sac after 2-3 days from hatching). Or can use microworms. If you don't have either, you can super finely grind up the adult food. Use a wet toothpick to dip into the powdered food and then dunk it into the baby water.

Here's a video of a diy heated brooder setup I did, but it covers some of the care you would be looking at for the first week with corydoras fry

How goes things with your cory eggs, coryking? :D
Sorry for not updating sooner. The eggs I left in the tank have been eaten probably by the glass catfish. The ones I put in the tub haven't hatched yet. They're gone slightly yellow, I'm unsure if that's normal or not. There's a bit of moss and some small pieces of catapa leaves in the tub.

Attachments

• PXL_20240823_102245122.jpg
    PXL_20240823_102245122.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240823_102256290.jpg
    PXL_20240823_102256290.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240823_103210402.jpg
    PXL_20240823_103210402.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 18
Sorry for not updating sooner. The eggs I left in the tank have been eaten probably by the glass catfish. The ones I put in the tub haven't hatched yet. They're gone slightly yellow, I'm unsure if that's normal or not. There's a bit of moss and some small pieces of catapa leaves in the tub.

Normal for the eggs to change colour like that as they're developing, if they're not fertilised they remain bright white, but turning that tan colour means they're fertilised. :D

Keeping fingers crossed for you that you get some wrigglers hatching soon! Usually 4-5 days for aeneus eggs, approximately.

Keep an eye out for fungus. The eggs are prone to developing fungus if they go bad, and that fungus can then spread to good eggs. Because they lay big clumps of sticky eggs, sometimes you wind up with a clump of eggs. Have a close look, and if you see any with fungus, remove them if you can, to try to prevent it spreading to the other eggs.

Do you have an airstone you can add to the container for oxygenation and water movement?

Normal for the eggs to change colour like that as they're developing, if they're not fertilised they remain bright white, but turning that tan colour means they're fertilised. :D

Keeping fingers crossed for you that you get some wrigglers hatching soon! Usually 4-5 days for aeneus eggs, approximately.

Keep an eye out for fungus. The eggs are prone to developing fungus if they go bad, and that fungus can then spread to good eggs. Because they lay big clumps of sticky eggs, sometimes you wind up with a clump of eggs. Have a close look, and if you see any with fungus, remove them if you can, to try to prevent it spreading to the other eggs.

Do you have an airstone you can add to the container for oxygenation and water movement?
Thank you so much for you help. It's good to know that the colouration is normal. I'm checking them everyday and looking out for fungus, I sadly don't have any shrimp to help deal with it. I do have an airstone (somewhere) however it's quite powerful. I have some filter floss so I might add the stone and rap the floss around it to reduce it's strength.
I'll update you when they hatch :)

This is awesome ;), how many days until they hatch ?

It varies according to species, temperature, a few factors! :D
If these are aeneus (bronze/albino mutation of bronze) corydoras eggs (not sure which species of cory @Coryking keeps, if more than one?) then usually 4-5 days. Laid Wednesday, so would hope for wrigglers happening on Sunday or Monday! 😍
But would still keep the eggs and wait and see if it does take a bit longer. :fish:

Even if this batch doesn't work out, the adults have now spawned once, and can do it again. Lots of tips and tricks to induce spawning in cories. Generally having clean fresh water low in nitrates, conditioning the adults well with quality and variety of foods, especially live or frozen foods, and doing a couple of water changes with slightly cooler water, can prompt them to spawn.

As Adorabelle Dear heart says it will only be another few days (hopefully). I currently only have albino bronze (Corydoras aeneus). I do plan on getting another species sometime in the future, maybe salt and pepper (Corydoras habrosus). Any species you recommend Adorabelle?

As Adorabelle Dear heart says it will only be another few days (hopefully). I currently only have albino bronze (Corydoras aeneus). I do plan on getting another species sometime in the future, maybe salt and pepper (Corydoras habrosus). Any species you recommend Adorabelle?

Keeping fingers crossed for you! The eggs do seem to be developing, so that's a promising sign anyway.
You might want to wait on getting more cories, just in case you wind up wanting to keep a load of the babies :lol:

But as for choosing another corydoras species;

What's your water hardness and tank temp?
How many albino bronzes do you have at the moment, in what size tank?
What's the total tank stocking/other fish species?

Salt and peppered (paleatus) are beautiful, but they do like a cooler temp than most tropical aquariums are kept at, so worth considering the preferred temperature range of all your fish before choosing a new species to add. :)

If your water is on the harder side, there are a few species that can cope with harder water than the majority of corydoras - like the bronzes! Others that can tolerate harder water are Sterbai cories, C.schultzei, and "black Venezuela cories", which aren't from Venezuela, but are actually line bred from a breeder in Germany, and are a line bred mutation of C.schultzei. But they're beautiful, and stay a bit smaller than the albino bronzes are.

But there are more than 150 species of corydoras out there, so depends on your water, tank stocking, what's available in your area, and what appeals to you! :D Have a look at a video of some gold or green lazer cories, or even closer to home, have a look at @CassCats threads and videos! She's the Cory Queen :lol:❤️

Whoops, just realised you said hasbrosus, not paleatus! That's the trouble with common names, I just assumed you meant paleatus and didn't see hasbrosus, sorry! :lol:

Habrosus are on my "want to keep" list too! Their profile on Seriously Fish will give you most all you need to know about them! They should have a bigger group number than the larger, more typical cories, since they're small, highly social and shy, so groups of 8-12 better for the "dwarf cories", lots of plants and hiding areas to help them feel safe and secure, and not with larger or more predatory/territorial fish that might frighten or bully them.

Thank you for your help. I don't plan on getting any more fish for another few months. It's a fluval Roma 125, My ph is 7.4 and my gh should be around 13dh. The temperature is around 25c. My current stocking is six glass catfish, six albino bronze Cory, one flash pleco and a bunch of endlers. The black Venezuelas have me interested, I'll look into them. Thank you for pointing out casscats, I'll check out some of her videos. Thanks for the information on hasbrosus I'll check them out on seriously fish.

Even if this batch doesn't work out, the adults have now spawned once, and can do it again. Lots of tips and tricks to induce spawning in cories. Generally having clean fresh water low in nitrates, conditioning the adults well with quality and variety of foods, especially live or frozen foods, and doing a couple of water changes with slightly cooler water, can prompt them to spawn.
Coryking noted the spawning after a water change. I also suspect low air pressure triggered it as the UK has had a couple of storms this week.

DH13 is a touch high for some corydoras, osteogaster schultzei is a good option (corydoras schultzei, black venezuala cory) but keep in mind can and will hybridize with your current ones.

I would actually consider either gastrodermus elegans (corydoras elegans, elegant cory) or hoplisoma sterbai (corydoras sterbai). Both of these would do fine in your parameters, but sterbai would do best in your slightly warmer temperature. It's still elegans range, but sterbai like it better warmer while elegans has a wider temperature range.

Neither of these (gastrodermus, hoplisoma) are in the same genetic group as bronze (osteogaster) and are not likely to hybridize.

Couple of photos of mine. I no longer have the elegans, but would get them again anytime!

Sterbai
20240307_173017.jpg

Elegans
20231106_180020.jpg

DH13 is a touch high for some corydoras, osteogaster schultzei is a good option (corydoras schultzei, black venezuala cory) but keep in mind can and will hybridize with your current ones.

I would actually consider either gastrodermus elegans (corydoras elegans, elegant cory) or hoplisoma sterbai (corydoras sterbai). Both of these would do fine in your parameters, but sterbai would do best in your slightly warmer temperature. It's still elegans range, but sterbai like it better warmer while elegans has a wider temperature range.

Neither of these (gastrodermus, hoplisoma) are in the same genetic group as bronze (osteogaster) and are not likely to hybridize.
Thank you for the suggestions. Those Cory looks lovely😍! I'm certainly going to look into the hoplisoma sterbai and the gastrodermus elegans. I would love to keep them all. They're incredible fish. Just one quick question the black venezuala if they were to hybridize with the bronze cory, what would the offspring look like and would they be prone to illness.

Thank you for the suggestions. Those Cory looks lovely😍! I'm certainly going to look into the hoplisoma sterbai and the gastrodermus elegans. I would love to keep them all. They're incredible fish. Just one quick question the black venezuala if they were to hybridize with the bronze cory, what would the offspring look like and would they be prone to illness.
They'd be tricky to tell apart from either aenea and schultzei, and it's heavily frowned upon to produce hybrids in the corydoras community.
What we have in the hobby needs to stay genetically stable, so crossing species messes with that. Some species are already so muddled up as it is, so best to avoid confusion and avoid hybridization where possible.

Most reactions

Back