Need help with balloon mollies

7 fishing

Reaction score
I have two white balloon mollies, am little bit confused if both r females and if so who is pregnant and how many days away from having fry? I saw some 2 frys about 6 weeks ago. Am very new in fish keeping so need suggestions. I had posted the pics of both of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170406_073938.jpg
    IMG_20170406_073938.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170406_073600.jpg
    IMG_20170406_073600.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 78
Those are both females.

Most female livebearers are pregnant all the time; even if there are no males in the tank, as they can store 'packets' of sperm for around six months.

It's hard to predict actual likely birth dates for balloon mollies, as their deformity obscures the normal changes in body shape, but the fish in the first picture is likely to be due before the second one, a she is so much larger.

On the plus side, livebearers and their fry don't need any extra care, apart from providing hiding spaces for the fry if you want some to survive, so you don't have to do anything except keep the water in good condition with plenty of water changes and ensuring the fish have a good diet, which you should be doing anyway :)

Thanks so much for your reply. The more fat molly shows a male behaviour like she/he chases the other one almost all the time, infact it chases the other fishes in the tank, n specially during the food time it won't allow the other molly to take its part of food, but the other molly doesn't chase the fat one. That's why am very confused with this molly, it's a boy or girl.

Sorry I didn't get round to replying earlier :)

Both your fish are definitely females. Livebearers are easy to sex; if you look at the anal fin (that's the one on the fish's tummy, just in front of its tail), males have their's modified into a rod-like structure called a gonopodium. Females have a normal, fan shaped anal fin.

Fish differ in character; some are more aggressive and argumentative than others.

How big is your tank and what fish do you have in it? Are these two the only mollies?

Sorry I didn't get round to replying earlier :)

Both your fish are definitely females. Livebearers are easy to sex; if you look at the anal fin (that's the one on the fish's tummy, just in front of its tail), males have their's modified into a rod-like structure called a gonopodium. Females have a normal, fan shaped anal fin.

Fish differ in character; some are more aggressive and argumentative than others.

How big is your tank and what fish do you have in it? Are these two the only mollies?
Hi
I have these two mollies and 2 white skirt tetra, 2 red eye tetra, 1zebra,1 guppy. And today late morning I found one baby fish swimming on the surface. Really excited. I had made a tank seperater and separated the smaller molly from past some days. One thing i wanted to ask, later after giving birth the molly was doing black poo, for some time then it became normal, why is that so? Is she had ate her some other babies and its the reason for that black poo?

Most reactions

Back