Need Help - New Betta & Tank Setup!

katielizabeth

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need a little help with setting up my new betta tank.

I just bought a gorgeous male double halfmoon tail from Petco for my daughter today (will post picture soon). I have the 2 gallon Hex Aquarium from Petco. I purchased the Petco black aquarium sand and a live plant. I washed the sand in a bag and added it to the tank, then filled the tank with room temperature Zephryhills bottled drinking water (as directed from the girl who sold me the fish). I have had the filter going on the tank for about 30 minutes now and just added the plant. I am wondering when I should put the betta in his new home, or how long I should have the water filtering before I add him. The water is already clear. However, some of the sand at the bottom is clumped up in little balls which I tried de-clumping with a fork which seemed to help. It's almost as if the sand is around a bubble.

We live in Florida and keep our home around 75 degrees so I didn't think I'd need to purchase a heater.

Any and all help/advice will be appreciated! Thank you!

you need to cycle your tank, preferably before you put fish in it, did you read the beginers section when you got your first betta? i know that one died but please read again, its full of all the info you need so you dont make the same mistake twice

you need to cycle your tank, preferably before you put fish in it, did you read the beginers section when you got your first betta? i know that one died but please read again, its full of all the info you need so you dont make the same mistake twice

Thank you. I will go find it and read it now.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ here it is, bettas are quite beatuiful fish arnt they

what kind of plant do you have. Generally live plants will not do well the n tanks that small. you will be better off with plastic or preferably soft frabic plants although they cost more cause the look and feel gentle with out sharp edges

what kind of plant do you have. Generally live plants will not do well the n tanks that small. you will be better off with plastic or preferably soft frabic plants although they cost more cause the look and feel gentle with out sharp edges

I can't remember the name of it but it starts with an A. It is very low in height and has wide leaves. It is growing on a rock right now. The fish guy at Petco suggested it for my size tank when I asked him about putting a live plant in the tank. I have the 2 gallon hex aquarium from Petco which has an LED light.

be careful with using bottled water. some of it has important minerals removed.

just go with tap water with water conditioner.

you really do not need to cycle your tank first. i think 2gallons is too small to cycle anyways.
just change 50% of the water every week.

i didnt even cycle my 10 gallon for my 1 betta. i tested water 2 times a week and everything was fine.

Most reactions

Back