Need Help -fish Has Swollen Belly 1 Side

zinlady71

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had my fish Woody for a little over two years. Not really sure what kind of fish he is. Never seen another fish like him. He looks sort of like a Shebunkin golfish but with very long fins in the backside. He is about 9-10 inches long. Tonight I noticed that one side of his belly looks huge. He's kinda lingering at the top of the water and not swimming around as much. Any ideas on what this can be? Any ideas would be helpful.
I'm including a picture if it helps. look how huge his left side is???

LJM Image046.jpgwoody3.jpg

Looks like a lovely shubunkin to me.
The lump looks like a tumour im afraid. If you can get medicated food then thats the best you can do.
How long has he had this lump and has it grown fast or slow?

Looks like a lovely shubunkin to me.
The lump looks like a tumour im afraid. If you can get medicated food then thats the best you can do.
How long has he had this lump and has it grown fast or slow?

Thank you Black Angel for responding to my message!

To be honest with you its hard to tell how fast it grew. I work so much the only time I see my fish is when
I feed them at night. My tank is located in a small room near my bedroom where I have my computer. I have a 75 gallon tank. It seemed like it happened overnight really. One of those Oh my God what happened moments! I will look in the pet store for medicated food tomorrow. I have other fishes though. Is it ok for them to eat the medicated food?

LJM

If you live in the uk then finding medicated food is really hard. Ask the shop if they have any med food for koi as thats the most likely way you can get it.
In the states you can get medigold or metromeds.
If you have problems getting medicated food in the uk then send me a pm and i might be able to locate some for you.

With the lump growing fast then it could be a boil that will break the surface and open out into an ulcer. What other fish are in the tank and what do you feed them? If it does then its a bacterial disease so upping your water changes and doing more gravel vacs will help. Adding things like Interpet or maracyn only kills the bacteria in the water so getting something thats internal is a better way to go.
you can feed it to all the fish as a precaution.

We did a water change last night because our nitrates were pretty high. Today I got Woody some gel tek tetracycline gel drops. They didn't have any flaked food. But he won't come up to eat it. He's just resting on the bottom of the tank. It's breaking my heart to watch him! What's even more sad is that Merlin his buddy (oranda goldfish) keeps pushing him to try to make him swim. I have some fish salt but I'm afraid to use it because I have 5 little corys. I don't know what else to do? Any suggestions?

Salt wont help im afraid. Bottom sitting is bad news as it means that whatever is wrong is progressing fast.
Try putting your hand in and hand feeding him if possible.
Maybe boiling some garden peas and squashing out the shell might help as they can fall in front of him.

Most reactions

Back