Need Help Choosing A New External Filter Please

bullheaduk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank is a roma 240 litre freshwater. Fluval 305 external filter. Stock is in my profile.
Now i know there not many good things said about fluvals in general (apart from fx5 maybe), but its what i got with the tank.
I don't think it's performing well enough for me. Not much circulation or aggitation and not cleaning the water as much as i'd like. I have about £150 to spend on a new external filter. Do i use a new one on its own, or a new one with the fluval.
I know from reading that eheims have a good reputation and was thinking of a pro 3 2075. Also the rena filstar xp3 or xp4 seem a good price.
What do you think for the money i have. Any advice much appreciated.

My tank is a roma 240 litre freshwater. Fluval 305 external filter. Stock is in my profile.
Now i know there not many good things said about fluvals in general (apart from fx5 maybe), but its what i got with the tank.
I don't think it's performing well enough for me. Not much circulation or aggitation and not cleaning the water as much as i'd like. I have about £150 to spend on a new external filter. Do i use a new one on its own, or a new one with the fluval.
I know from reading that eheims have a good reputation and was thinking of a pro 3 2075. Also the rena filstar xp3 or xp4 seem a good price.

Cant go wrong with an eheim, they have good mechanical and biological filtration and great flow rates. If I ever change the 2028 ive got it'll be to get another eheim...... im considering a 2075 myself at the moment.

i would go with the tetratec ex1200, it would do a grand job of filtering your tank, plus youd have the peace of mind of excellent after sales service from them, and youd have some cash left in your pocket for other fishy stuff ( go for about £70 new on ebay)

actually you could even go with the EX700 on that size of tank, so even more £££ to spare :)
i have had both with no issues at all :)

My ex1200 is marginal on my 180, an ex700 would be next to useless on a 240 imo... Manufacturers flow rates are usually wildly optimistic, being obtained without media and pipework taken into consideration.

I had a look at a tetratec 1200 today. It did look the part, but you've put me off it now.

Can anyone vouch for the eheim 2075?

I don't mind paying the extra for an eheim, but I need to get this right.
Anywhere best to look online?

Thanks very much for everyone's advice :)

I have a Tetratec 1200 and a TetraTec 700 on a 350L tank, the 1200 was always powerful enough, the only reason i added a second was to add surface area with more ceramics etc, i was keeping a ray AND discus in there, now its just discus, clown loach and angels but i've never had a problem with the flow and they are certainly the best filter i've seen/had/worked with/sold at work in terms of media capacity and quality build!!

A new german one onto the market is JBLs CrystalProfi filters, got one set up on my display Osaka 260 and its fantastic! Not quite as much media capacity as the Tetratecs but close and was a better price and for looks, it looks exactly like an eheim because thats their main copetition, they sure are good looking filters!

One to AVOID... the Classic range of eheim filters! They dont have a primer and their pipe at the base of the filter is ceramic, if you knock it and it breaks, you're screwed! Dont get a filter without a primer, it is soooo not worth the hassel!

Its always worth looking at the newer filters because as companies come out with new filters, they phase out the old ones, take Hagen, they've phased out the 1, 2, 3 & 4plus filters and have the new U Filters, id guess a year or two before replacement parts and sponges start becoming scarce...

I don't know what the above poster has against the Classics. The OP will be used to getting a filter primed without a priming device, as s/he as a Fluval currently, it's primer will have broken years ago if it's ad any reasonable time in service :/ Classics have proven themselves reliable over 30 years, with most fishkeepers dyeing of old age before their Eheim Classic :lol: If you break the intake connection, you aren't being as careful with your filter as you should be.

IMO, a Tetratec EX1200 would be fine of a 240l tank. I had to run one of mine alone on a 83g "heavily stocked" Discus tank for a week or so after a few power issues (don't ask) and it performed perfectly as a biological filter. Mechanically, it wasn't quite keeping up, but with a lighter stocking and 100l less water, one alone should perform perfectly well for the OP :nod:

Rena are a good brand. The main seals are hard to access to maintain, but not too bad. Other than that they are a well thought out and reliable filter.

I'd avoid any electronic Pro III Eheim's, and any thermo Eheims, as these have issues.

All the best
Rabbut

I got my Pro 3 2075 yesterday, took about 30mins to get it unpacked and onto the tank (I am one of the anal people who actually reads the instructions). Flow rate is way up on the tetratec it replaced. Couple of airpockets were in the system, which it got shut of after about 2mins, then deadly quiet. I have one running alongside a 405 as well but am already thinking about getting shut of the 405 in a couple of months or so for another 2075 (you can never get enough filtration).

Only thing against it is that there are no taps to adjust the flow rate. It's either on or off. No inbetween. Pretty sure that they will sell something to chenge that as an extra, like the installation packs.

before i had the tetratec i had the eheim 2028(big mistake selling it)i think i`m trying to achieve the impossable(cant spell that) my tank is 240ltr heavy planted rainbow tank, and i dont want to spoil the appearance by adding powerheads,i think their ugly, and i dont want to run 2 filters,this is not because i`m idle when it comes to maintaining its mainly because i have ankylosing spondylitis so i find cleaning one filter hard enough,also i dont want to start chopping my lid up so i can fit two filters,so i chose tetratec because they are easier to maintain(still bloody heavy though when full,)i am constantly researching the net looking for a filter that will do the job and i keep going back to look at the classics,who said fish keeping was relaxing!!!

I'll take a look at the jbl filters mbou, thanks.

My primer is'nt broken yet rabbut but the filter itself seems poor, but i'm learning and i have nothing else to compare it with. I fancy an eheim simply going by their reputation as most people sing their praises. They are a bit more expensive, but i suppose you get what you pay for. I was also thinking somewhere down the line, i might want a bigger tank. Then i would have the filter to match it, though i have to persuade my mrs first.

gfaduck what size tank do you have the 2075 hooked up to, and where did you buy from if you don't mind me asking.

elaine128 i am in a similar situation to yourself. I have too many health problems to list lol, so i am certain i'll get days where things will have to wait (especially in the winter) Although i do get some help in maintaining my tank. So picking the right equipment would be a bonus. I have been searching for a hobby that suits me and my health issues, and fishkeeping is the one for me. I love it. I hope your days are as pain free as they can be elaine, take care.

I'm swaying towards the eheim 2075, but will have a look at the jbl and rena filters that you've kindly suggested.
And the tetratec 1200 is still in the back of my mind. I am so indecisive lol.
decisions decisions :good:

Any more suggestions welcome. Thanks again to you all ;)

Go with the eheim, you wont look at another filter again. I managed to pick up my pro II 2028 second hand full of media for the bargain price of £35 :hyper: BUT id quite happily pay full price for a new one, hence why im looking at the 2075. Ive got mine on a 300l and ive had no problems at all, just fancy trying one of eheims newer offerings. I do find i have long times between needing to clean the filter out, i just seems to keep pumping but i see that as a bonus as i dont want to always be in the cupboard cleaning it out it.

My 2075 is on a 48x24x24 in tank. But when it starts getting properly stocked I'll likely add another.

Most reactions

Back