Need advice...

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Ok... here it goes...

As many of you know, I will be moving to PA around December. In those few months, I need to start preparing myself to move my tanks and my stock. Which means, I will lots of advice.

First question... anyone in the US know some reasonably priced aquarium stands? Looking for one for my 29g tank.

The reason why I don’t have one now, is because my 20g long* and my 29g tank are both a sturdy, solid wood sitting bench. (A little low IMO)

*Next question... should I get rid of my 20g long? I bought it because it was a good deal and it was crazy cheap. I also needed a place to put my lone ZD. I have already mentioned giving it to my LFS, and that’s what I plan to do. 20g long doesn’t provide me with any stock I actually want.

The only reason why I haven’t bought another (bigger, lol) tank, is because I can’t before the move. After the move, it’s game on! :hey:

My thought was: Keep the 29g, 10g, 5g, and 2.5g. Get rid of the 20g long, 1.5g, and 1g.

That way I am only moving three tanks.

Next question: RO machine. @Crispii mentioned that an RO machine would save me lots of money in the long run, as opposed to getting RO from my LFS. (I also know they are costly, any cheapish suggestions?)

I know the water up there is pretty hard. @TheTenthDoctor, how do you bettas do up there? (I also have tetras, keep that in mind)

This whole thing is going to be very stressful on me and my fish.

———

I have been saving all money from my job and allowance, and as right right now, have around $90. Not to mentioned the $80+ I will get, when I get payed for work. If I get to work all next week (we get school off next week) I will get around $180. (Not counting the $90 + $80)

I think I am pretty set on funds for buying the stand, and buckets/electric air pumps/heaters for the move.

Biggest thing now is suggestions on stand and RO machine.

Stands are super expensive. I use an old dresser. The ones at my LFS are like 300+ dollars. You could make your own.

Stands are super expensive. I use an old dresser. The ones at my LFS are like 300+ dollars. You could make your own.
Not necessarily looking for a fancy oak one or anything, maybe a metal stand?

Are you not going to do a SW tank now?

Yeesh, just looked on Amazon, those are expensive, even the metal ones!! o_O

I’ll look on Craigslist. I definitely need them before the move, I have no time to make them when I get there, (if I do) because I need to get the tank setup ASAP.

Are you not going to do a SW tank now?
Not at the moment, no. Maybe will look into that a while after we settle in.

If you scour the 2nd hand pages for solid wood sideboards, those are usually sturdy enough to take a bit of weight and can be reinforced if needed. Don't use flatpack stuff.
Or you can learn some carpentry skills and build your own, I am jealous of the price of timber across the pond if I lived in the US my house would all be home made furniture.

Ok, so I found this guy that had a TON of fish tank stuff, on Craigslist: https://dayton.craigslist.org/for/d/new-carlisle-fish-tanks-aquariums/7171584609.html

Said he would check this evening, to see if he had one.

If you scour the 2nd hand pages for solid wood sideboards, those are usually sturdy enough to take a bit of weight and can be reinforced if needed. Don't use flatpack stuff.
Or you can learn some carpentry skills and build your own, I am jealous of the price of timber across the pond if I lived in the US my house would all be home made furniture.
My dad is a part-time carpenter, if I do end up having to make one, he can help me.

Yeesh, just looked on Amazon, those are expensive, even the metal ones!! o_O

I’ll look on Craigslist. I definitely need them before the move, I have no time to make them when I get there, (if I do) because I need to get the tank setup ASAP.

Not at the moment, no. Maybe will look into that a while after we settle in.
Just that I'd expect SW to take up the majority of your aquarium-keeping time and money

Petco has a relatibely cheap metal stand (around $60). I have it, used it for my 20 gallon long and I had no problem with it. You can put some of those fabric storage cubes in the bottom for storing stuff if needed.
It won't let me post the link but it's Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - for 29 Gallon Aquariums

Other than that your best bet for a budget friendly stand is making one or finding a used one

Ahhhh, SW=Saltwater not Star Wars............:blush:
Yes, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions on the stand guys. I'll see what this guys says this evening... any suggestions on RO machines or if i should keep my 20g long tank or not?

Ok... here it goes...

As many of you know, I will be moving to PA around December. In those few months, I need to start preparing myself to move my tanks and my stock. Which means, I will lots of advice.

First question... anyone in the US know some reasonably priced aquarium stands? Looking for one for my 29g tank.

The reason why I don’t have one now, is because my 20g long* and my 29g tank are both a sturdy, solid wood sitting bench. (A little low IMO)

*Next question... should I get rid of my 20g long? I bought it because it was a good deal and it was crazy cheap. I also needed a place to put my lone ZD. I have already mentioned giving it to my LFS, and that’s what I plan to do. 20g long doesn’t provide me with any stock I actually want.

The only reason why I haven’t bought another (bigger, lol) tank, is because I can’t before the move. After the move, it’s game on! :hey:

My thought was: Keep the 29g, 10g, 5g, and 2.5g. Get rid of the 20g long, 1.5g, and 1g.

Next question: RO machine. @Crispii mentioned that an RO machine would save me lots of money in the long run, as opposed to getting RO from my LFS. (I also know they are costly, any cheapish suggestions?)

I know the water up there is pretty hard. @TheTenthDoctor, how do you bettas do up there? (I also have tetras, keep that in mind)

———

I have been saving all money from my job and allowance, and as right right now, have around $90. Not to mentioned the $80+ I will get, when I get payed for work. If I get to work all next week (we get school off next week) I will get around $180. (Not counting the $90 + $80)

I think I am pretty set on funds for buying the stand, and buckets/electric air pumps/heaters for the move.

@PheonixKingZ I put oak leaves in the water. All my bettas do fine, I mostly focus on good quality water, a heater and plenty of live plants

Ok... here it goes...

———

Just go ahead and send me the 20 long, I'll take it off your hands
:hyper: :rofl: :nod::fun:

Most reactions

Back