Need Advice

`Peter

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well I recently installed the nutrifin co2 plant system in my tank. My question is if I should leave the air pump that powers my air stone in the aquarium which creates a lot of water movement. I heard that if there is a lot of water movement at the surface which I have the co2 leaves the aquarium which I dont want to happen. I need my new plants to grow. So does it matter if I leave the 6" airstone or should I remove it for more co2 to be present. Advice would be appreciated thank you.

Well I recently installed the nutrifin co2 plant system in my tank. My question is if I should leave the air pump that powers my air stone in the aquarium which creates a lot of water movement. I heard that if there is a lot of water movement at the surface which I have the co2 leaves the aquarium which I dont want to happen. I need my new plants to grow. So does it matter if I leave the 6" airstone or should I remove it for more co2 to be present. Advice would be appreciated thank you.

Ppl with co2 usually turn on the co2 only at night. But, you can leave your o2 (oxygen) on during the day if you see your fish at the top of the tank often gasping for air.

What kind of lighting do you have and what size tank?

Thanks I do turn off my co2 at night

I have a 24 gallon tank with a standard bulb that came with the tank idk what kind it is. So would I need the air stone or not? My fish never gasp for air

Hi Pete, if your running DIY C02, it can be ran without an airstone with a tank that size, at night. The fish should be fine. I would remove the airstone as it drives the C02 off and there really would be no point in having C02.

aight thanks ianho i removed the airstone. Didnt realize how much space it took up now I can add more plants=)

If you want to get fancy you can set up valves to mix the air. Cutting the regular air supply would be a bad idea for the fish.

if there's enough surface movement you don't need to run an air stone. How many airstones do you see in lakes, streams and rivers?

There is a major difference between a natural body of water and water in a glass box. In the wild, lakes and streams are naturally balanced and plant matter and moving water will oxygenate the water supply. Anyone will tell you aeration of the tank will keep your fish more vigorous. I've tried without it and in my situation my fish always have partially failed without one. You don't HAVE to use one, but like any other supplementary item, the purpose is to promote maximum tank health and give fish their maximum survival chances.
An air bubble curtain may circulate, mix, and maintain more even water temperature and chemical distribution levels too.
Remember, fish breath oxygen while plants breath CO2. The more oxygen in the water the faster and bigger your fish will grow. Imbalances will cause either to suffer if levels of either gas becomes too low or high.

wrong, thats a dated view. Airstones are really just there to look nice. In a planted tank they are more of a hinderance as the o2 bubbles will drive off the valuable c02 that your plants need.

I suggest you update your research and learn to critique web sites, as i see you have been giving bad advice and bad internet links over the last couple of days.

What the plant is doing is taking the CO2 and releasing it purely as oxygen since there are already 2 oxygen molecules bonded in the CO2.
Here's a nice little link for you. Its just a demonstration.
http://water.me.vccs.edu/concepts/oxycycle.html

What the plant is doing is taking the CO2 and releasing it purely as oxygen since there are already 2 oxygen molecules bonded in the CO2.

Plants consume oxygen as well as CO2. A sort of jack of all trades. Part of the reason why they have been around so long. Had to adapt to both conditions.

Er, well, that's not respiration, is it? And the oxygen doesn't come from the carbon dioxide. It comes from water.

Most reactions

Back