Need Advice

madmom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm planning my first vacation in over 20 years. I've lined up a petsitter I trust to feed my cats and fish. Problem is she gets grossed out by the bloodworms when they defrost. Is there something else that I can do other then defrosting them first? She doesn't seem to mind them when they are frozen but won't go near them after they defrost.

We've used the frozen food straight from the freezer sometimes, and the fish go just as mad for it - as it melts very quickly anyway ;)

Course, I dont know whether I'm supposed to do that or not - might be worth waiting for another answer LOL :blush: :lol:

I think in the long run it would affect your fish as the temp is obviously a lot lower and the fish dont have a massive body area to cope well with this. However, a couple of weeks why not just feed flakes until you get back, presuming all will eat them. This wont do them any harm for 2 weeks only. Although i dont think a 2 week period of cold blood worms would harm too much either.

We've used the frozen food straight from the freezer sometimes, and the fish go just as mad for it - as it melts very quickly anyway ;)

Course, I dont know whether I'm supposed to do that or not - might be worth waiting for another answer LOL :blush: :lol:

Mine go straight in from frozen too, to be honest never even considered defrosting them first! Dropping it in frozen, it floats about for a while, and the first go nuts at the block as it slowly falls apart and defrosts.

Mine go straight in from frozen too, to be honest never even considered defrosting them first! Dropping it in frozen, it floats about for a while, and the first go nuts at the block as it slowly falls apart and defrosts.

We've always put them in frozen too, that was what I thought you were meant to do, with no problems. But you can also buy bloodworm in a sort of jelly stuff that you just squeeze in out of a packet - maybe your petsitter could cope with that. They come in an orange pack called Tetra Fresh Delica. Also Interpet make freeze dried bloodworm, the fish don't go quite as mad for that, but still like it and it's more like feeding a flake food.

Have a lovely holiday!

yup either get her to just put them in frozen or just feed flake for a couple of weeks

Thanks for the advice. I'll get some cubes for her to feed them. It's mostly for the ADF's but the fish really enjoy them too.

personally i thought if a whole cube is dropped in at once, the fish go on a feeding frenzy and gourge themselves on the bloodworms, resulting in very bloated fish, i prefer to defrose mine, then feed a few though out the day.with your tank, Tetra Fresh Delica bloodworms are probally the best option, ADF's dont eat freezedries as it floats and frogs each off the bottom usally. sorry i cant be much help, just thought i'll give my opinion.

madmom-

I can't tell in your post if your sitter has handled bloodworms before or has just seen them. If she hasn't handled them before, make sure you inform her to be careful in case she is allergic to them. I discovered I'm allergic to them the hard way and wound up in a hospital when my eyes swelled shut! :X

"I'm planning my first vacation in over 20 years."
20 years ... You deserve it! :drinks:

I use the TetraDelica when I'm at home but when I go on holiday I just leave the fishsitter with the flakes, as it's easier to measure out the dosage for that. Makes the fish all the more appreciative of my return!

Gazoo she has never handled them but she's a girly girl and is afraid of crawly things. I will warn her not to touch them with her bare hands as she does have allergies. Thanks Gazoo this is the first year I don't have to worry about nappies or toddlers wandering off on me so I'm taking it.
These are small half incg cubes and are eaten in less than 5 minutes when put in the tank and with the number of fish and frogs in there they don't get a chance to gorge themselves.

Most reactions

Back