Need advice before I ruin a good thing

@Byron, I’m actually very surprised your MTS snails disappeared. I have been trying to get rid of them, with no success. At the beginning, when I got them, I thought they would be cool. Now, they are just unattractive and annoying.

I’ve both fish (10 Chili Rasbora) and over 30 Caridina shrimp. Several are berried. I would hate to accidentally vacuum up babies. My eyesight isn’t what it used to be, unfortunately. Thanks for the compliments. I’m still not sure if satisfying my aesthetic fengshui Is worth possibly crashing my tank. Is there a specific way to uproot the rhisomed plants so as not to damage them?

Plants like Java Fern and Anubias that have a rhizome should not have the rhizome buried, but attached to wood, rock, or similar. The true fine hair-like roots may burrow into the substrate depending upon how close the rhizome is to the substrate, but in either case moving the plant by moving the wood/rock to which it is attached should cause no problems.

Other plants also have rhizomes that can be buried. Cryptorocyne species, Echinodorus (sword) plants, etc. Pulling these up can be messy as they have very extensive root systems. I have pulled up crypts that after about two or maybe three years had roots extending well over 12 inches from the plant, and I have had large sword plants with root systems extending for about 8-10 inches in all directions fro the crown.

@Byron, I’m actually very surprised your MTS snails disappeared. I have been trying to get rid of them, with no success. At the beginning, when I got them, I thought they would be cool. Now, they are just unattractive and annoying.

MTS are the best snails for an aquarium because of their burrowing habit throughout the substrate. I wold never have wanted to get rid of them, and I've no idea what caused it. Now that I have been reminded of this, I may do a search into our water. There were some plant issues at about the same time the snails were disappearing so it may be some new additive.

MTS are the best snails for an aquarium because of their burrowing habit throughout the substrate. I wold never have wanted to get rid of them, and I've no idea what caused it. Now that I have been reminded of this, I may do a search into our water. There were some plant issues at about the same time the snails were disappearing so it may be some new additive.
I see. I actually meant BRH snails are super annoying. I would want to get rid of those.

Most reactions

Back