Nano Advise :)

Chris_C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As most of you know i have closed down my current 50 gallon tank ready for moving house. My plan is to upgrade to a 5 ft Godiva Executive tank once i move.

Well it will take me 2 or 3 months to save for the tank alone (around £900) so i am considering setting up a nano :) just to ease my withdrawal symptoms :lol: So my questions is which is the best nano to go for? i want the biggest nano around so i can have more than 1 fish :lol: also i would like one which is good for maintaining and has most stuff hidden in the back chamber. Also want decent lighting (possibly LED) to keep corals.

So any and all advise is welcome :)

As most of you know i have closed down my current 50 gallon tank ready for moving house. My plan is to upgrade to a 5 ft Godiva Executive tank once i move. Nice tanks my 5ft is the executive, but my 3ft is a Supreme and would say it is worth considering paying the extra for the Supreme as it is much more streamlined, straight smooth edges with no overhang and nothing over the front of the tank so when you open the doors you can see to the base of the glass (and all the little creature trails in the sand bed)

Well it will take me 2 or 3 months to save for the tank alone (around £900) so i am considering setting up a nano :) just to ease my withdrawal symptoms :lol: So my questions is which is the best nano to go for? i want the biggest nano around so i can have more than 1 fish :lol: also i would like one which is good for maintaining and has most stuff hidden in the back chamber. Also want decent lighting (possibly LED) to keep corals. I had the Boyu MT50 and was ok but wouldn't really recommend it, I ran mine skimmerless which I think is just fine in a nano, never got a trace of Nitrate or Phos ran filter floss and did 10% weekly, lighting was average but ok for softies but probably too small for you at 18G

Been looking at the D&D nano's..

Is there any major difference with these two? apart from the huge price difference of course :lol:

http://www.cityaquaticscardiff.co.uk/store/d-d-hqi-28-gal-nano-cube-including-cabinet-plus-free-delivery-1151.html?zenid=b3667f01520debe527edf2adadbc1400

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fish-tanks-404/d-d-nano-cubes-1524/d-d-nano-cube-28-gallon-power-compact-model-115912.html?ref=shopping&utm_source=product-search&utm_medium=googlebase

As most of you know i have closed down my current 50 gallon tank ready for moving house. My plan is to upgrade to a 5 ft Godiva Executive tank once i move. Nice tanks my 5ft is the executive, but my 3ft is a Supreme and would say it is worth considering paying the extra for the Supreme as it is much more streamlined, straight smooth edges with no overhang and nothing over the front of the tank so when you open the doors you can see to the base of the glass (and all the little creature trails in the sand bed)

Well it will take me 2 or 3 months to save for the tank alone (around £900) so i am considering setting up a nano :) just to ease my withdrawal symptoms :lol: So my questions is which is the best nano to go for? i want the biggest nano around so i can have more than 1 fish :lol: also i would like one which is good for maintaining and has most stuff hidden in the back chamber. Also want decent lighting (possibly LED) to keep corals. I had the Boyu MT50 and was ok but wouldn't really recommend it, I ran mine skimmerless which I think is just fine in a nano, never got a trace of Nitrate or Phos ran filter floss and did 10% weekly, lighting was average but ok for softies but probably too small for you at 18G

Thanks George :) Will look into the supreme :) and yeah the 18g is a tad small, seen some around the 28g size.

I took a run up to Coventry for a look and was immediately taken, I had planned on the Exec but instantly changed my mind. I can grab some close up shots of the difference in mine if you want me to, as I don't think it is very clear on the Coventry Aquatics site.

I have the d&d 24 gallon twin compacts model and it is great IMO it has no skimmer but is very well built and seems very hard glass (mines covered in scratches due to the previous owner being wolverine with cleaning lol) but I've had a coffee mug accidentally been clunked against mine and it was fine

One criticism is the light covers become brittle so has cracked abit so need to make a new one but

All in all I highly recommend a d&d for the nano

And the Godiva sounds good too :good:

I took a run up to Coventry for a look and was immediately taken, I had planned on the Exec but instantly changed my mind. I can grab some close up shots of the difference in mine if you want me to, as I don't think it is very clear on the Coventry Aquatics site.

Would be much appreciated HG :good:

I have the d&d 24 gallon twin compacts model and it is great IMO it has no skimmer but is very well built and seems very hard glass (mines covered in scratches due to the previous owner being wolverine with cleaning lol) but I've had a coffee mug accidentally been clunked against mine and it was fine

One criticism is the light covers become brittle so has cracked abit so need to make a new one but

All in all I highly recommend a d&d for the nano

And the Godiva sounds good too :good:

Wolverine :rofl: thanks for that mate .. might just go with the d&d then :) anychane you can take a look at the links i posted and tell me which you would recommend? i cant see much difference apart from the price.

My LFS had a d&d nano set up a while back that had built in LED lighting. Nice looking tank.

How about the boyu/orca tl550?

28G, good PL compact lighting (which your torch is doing well in! Lol), weirs at the back to put a skimmer (which comes with the tank), heater and filter media.

Plus they're acrylic, bow fronted which I like in tanks!

28G, good PL compact lighting (which your torch is doing well in! Lol), weirs at the back to put a skimmer (which comes with the tank), heater and filter media.

Was considering the boyu aswell mate :) just cant make my mind up :lol: just the fact everyone moans that acrylic scratches all the time.

:huh: Are the orca's acrylic mines glass im sure of it.

Was considering the boyu aswell mate :) just cant make my mind up :lol: just the fact everyone moans that acrylic scratches all the time.

It does if you use a magnetic algae scraper with a piece of sand/grit trapped inside!

I scrub my glass almost daily as well as use a light scourer and I have one tiny scratch on the side which isnt noticeable.

It's tougher than you think mate!

It does if you use a magnetic algae scraper with a piece of sand/grit trapped inside!

I scrub my glass almost daily as well as use a light scourer and I have one tiny scratch on the side which isnt noticeable.

It's tougher than you think mate!

Ok mate i think i am sold on a Boyu/Orca :D how is the lighting on them overall?

My boyu 550 was glass :good: both Trod and I loved the tanks, easy to maintain and I kept softies, euphyllias and even Bill, my bta, he grew to the size of a dinner plate in the tank

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back