Myth Or Not?

carney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi
many people have many thoughts and opinions.
By the book you shouldne house large fish in mediumtanks ie - people are telling me a 30gallon tank is too small for an oscar on here etc

However a family friend has been a fishkeeper for 50 years and says it would be ok and "fish only grow to the size of their tank"

a few people have agreed

what is the truth though please?

ie - if you use the inch per gallon on a community tank then tanks look empty and bare.
if you use the inch per gallon on a single fish/pair tank then its cruel...

confused...

Totaly myth, the reason fish only grow to the size of their tanks is because they die prematurely. Their internal organs get squished up inside them and the fish gets deformed and stunted.

Kind of similar to those little shoes japenese women used to wear, their feet only grew to the size of the shoe because thats all they could grow to. Incredibly painful and end up with deformed feat, most likely painful for the fish being kept in a small tank.

The inch per gallon is a guide for beginners, can be useful I suppose but aquarium stocking is more of an art than a science. The inch/gallon doesn't work on larger fish eg. an oscar which we shall say reaches 12" will produce alot more waste than 12 neons and needs alot more swimming room just because of the size it can grow.

the reason you shouldn't house fish in tanks that are too small for them is that it will cause them deformities and thus result in a poor quality of life :(

Regarding whether fish only grow to the size of their tank, while that may be true, it's only because the fishes growth is being stunted, and I can't imagine that that is healthy.

The inch per gallon rule as you may know is mostly for beginners so they don't put too many fish in before they can grasp what's involved in tank maintenance or before the filter matures. I have about 40" of fish in my 29 gallon tank, but I don't have any problems as I know I need to keep up with water changes and such. And it looks good. Much less and I think it would look empty.

Their internal organs get squished up inside them and the fish gets deformed and stunted.

I believe that that is also a myth.

I do agree its because they die prematurely but not because the organs don't stop growing.

Pauly,you just took the words right out of my mouth.I've seen this bandied about quite a bit recently and quite frankly,find it a mind boggling possibility.

i've read a few places though the fish will grow to the size it's intended to though ina few places, E.G my aunty has this hexagon tank with a tiny gold fish the fish has litterally grown the length of the tank and after persuauastion they gave it away.

Boy Mythbusters would have a field day with this thread.

If a big fish is kept in a small tank it will only grow to a certain size, usually much smaller than it could. The fish will not end up deformed and its organs will not get squished up from being in a small tank. The fish will stay a normal shape and its body will function perfectly normally. The only difference being the fish will remain smaller than it would normally become.
Fish become deformed due to poor genetics (inbreeding), malnutrition (especially when young), and disease.
Poor water quality will contribute to deformities if the fish are very young (usually in the first few weeks of life), but when they are half grown or more than 6 months old, they should not develop deformities due to poor water quality.

Big fish only die in small tanks when the water goes off. Therefore if you have a big fish, or even a lot of small fish in a small tank, and the tank is well filtered and receives regular water changes and gravel cleans, there is no reason for the fish to die because it is in a small tank.
The reason big fish die in small tanks is because they are fed a lot, and produce a lot of waste. Then the water goes off very quickly and become polluted. This weakens the fish and encourages disease organisms to grow and infect the fish. Then the fish becomes sick and possibly dies. The water quality in big tanks will remain more stabile and usually cleaner for longer compared to smaller tanks with less water volume.
The other reason big fish die in small tanks is because they fight over territory and the dominant fish either bully or kill the smaller weaker fish. A large tank provides more space for each fish to have its own territory and fights are less likely to occur.

Small tanks do not kill fish. Dirty tanks caused by over feeding, over crowding and lack of maintenance (ie: water changes) are what kill fish. Poor water quality causes disease and death in fish. Most fish die because of people not keeping the water clean enough for them.

The 1 inch per gallon rule is old and outdated. Unless you have a tank that does not have a filter running on it, then ignore the 1 inch per gallon rule. Modern tanks with modern filtration can hold a lot more than 1 inch of fish per gallon. It all comes down to water quality. You can have 10inches of fish per gallon as long as the fish have room to move and the water is kept clean. Fail to provide either of those and the fish die. Provide both of those items and the fish will live.
Anyone who has worked in a fish quarantine room will be well aware of how many fish you can keep in a tank. For example most of the wholesalers I have worked for would keep about 1000 x 1inch neon tetras in a 3ft long x 18in wide x 18inch high tank. The tank would be filtered and the water changed each day. The fish would spend 2 weeks in here and generally most, if not all would survive. That equates to about 1000inches of fish in 45gallons, or 10inches of fish in less than half a gallon of water.

Nice bit of information there Colin_t , however how come you get people who have to rehome their fish as they get to big for the tank ? somebody give 3 fully grown oscars to my lfs which were only kept in a 3ft tank

Nice bit of information there Colin_t , however how come you get people who have to rehome their fish as they get to big for the tank ? somebody give 3 fully grown oscars to my lfs which were only kept in a 3ft tank

He did say much smaller than it 'could'.Oscars can grow to 15/16".I doubt these were full grown if they were in a 3 foot tank.

There's also the issue of quality of life. Sure they could survive with proper maintenance but if these people probably didn't do their homework b4 they bought the fish then they soon find out that the tank is too small. In this case it would be better to give them up.

yes nice info there colin t but remember a lot of the time tank sizes are given not because the fish will grow to a large size but because the fish needs a large amount of swimming space to be happy, an unhappy fish will be stressed and disease prone and they often die prematurely as an indirect consequence of the tank.

1" per gallon is a sensible stocking level for a newly cycled community tank and a new fishkeeper, it gives a really nice margin for error if the cycle mucks up as we all know it can or if you make a mistake or forget maintenance etc. Once the tank is 6 months old and you know your stuff a bit as a fishkeeper 1.5/2" per gallon comfortably. the problem occurs when people forget that it's a guideline not a rule and try to enforce it with an iron rod!

how come you get people who have to rehome their fish as they get too big for the tank? Somebody gave 3 fully grown oscars to my lfs which were only kept in a 3ft tank
Many species of fish that get big will actually get too big for most tanks. Oscars are a classic example. They can easily grow to 12 inches or more in length. If 3 Oscars are kept in a 3ft tank they could get to 8-10inches without too many problems. This is smaller than they can get but still too big for that particular tank. The other problem being there were 3 Oscars and when they matured and paired off, there would be one fish left out. This fish would eventually be killed by the pr. Then the pr might actually turn on itself and fight due to the stress and confines of the small tank.
There is also the possibility the tank wasn't being cleaned enough and or the owner was getting sick of cleaning it all the time. Then they got rid of the fish because it was too much work keeping them in the small environment.
There is also the quality of life issue mentioned by fishyfreak. It is preferable to have fish in a tank that is big enough to let them move around easily and not feel stressed out by the confines of a small tank. The tank should also be big enough for the fish to breed if they choose to do so.

As for the 1inch per gallon rule, there are too many variables to use it successfully even as a basic measurement for beginners. If a fish is small and only has a tiny body mass then it won't need as much water as a bigger fish with more body mass.
eg: neon tetras vs oscars. You can have 10 x 1 inch neons in a 2ft tank without any problems. But 1 x 10inch oscar would be too much for a tank of that size unless you had a huge filter and changed the water each day. Even then the fish would be unable to turn around easily or move about the tank.
This example shows 10inches of fish in a 2ft tank, one works and the other doesn't.
There is also the issue of how much you feed the fish. Again 10 x 1 inch neons won't eat a lot of food and the water will stay cleaner for longer. Whereas 1 x 10inch Oscar will eat enough food in one meal to pollute the same tank. The amount of food the Oscar gets is simply too much for the tank to handle, but the neons food is unlikely to cause any problems.
Then you have fish like angels. On average they grow to about 4inches long (not including tail) but can be 5-6inches high. However, most of the height is fin. They are narrow fish with a medium body mass but big surface area. Are they 4inches long and therefore equal to 4inches of fish, or are they more than 4inches of fish due to their height? They can eat a lot but won't produce as much waste or mess as a 4inch bristlenose catfish. The bristlenose doesn't do much swimming around and will often tolerate much dirtier water than the angelfish.
Anyway if you want to use the 1-inch per gallon rule then go for it. But there are lots of variables that can affect that ruling. My preferred way of telling if a tank is overstocked is to monitor the nitrate levels. If the nitrates go up rapidly between water changes then the tank could be overstocked, or it could be getting too much food or not enough water changes. If the nitrate level stays low or doesn't go up much between water changes, then the stocking level is probably fine.
If you don't mind doing lots of water changes you can easily have more than 1 inch of fish per gallon of tank water. However, if you don't like doing water changes then have less than 1inch of average fish per gallon.

Thanks very informative

my Dad has 4 tanks, one being a 48x12x15 tank

in it he has
5 red eye tetra
5 black neons
5 neons
5 colombia tetras
7 corys
5 rosy tetra
5 black phantom tetra
5 x ray tetra
4 black ruby barb
2 kuhli
3 bleeding heart tetra

this is 50 actual fish in a 30 gallon tank
he has 2 fluval filters and does a 25% water change every week and has no problems at all and the tank looks beautiful

however if you look at inch per gallon i bet its 5 to 1...

my current thinking is pretty much as colin T, ...
as a analogy of why the correct tank size is important to the life of the fish...

You can live your entire life in a room 2x1m, including WC a, shower & small kitchen facility, as long as I give you food & take out the rubbish regularly.... but what will your quality of life be ?

Most reactions

Back